Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton rewarded with new contract

Withdeano

Oct 30, 2010
Horsham
Kayal knocky and dunk are the 3 that we can't afford to lose to other clubs

I think the last 2 & a bit games, plus the votes of the league's managers, shows that Stephens needs to be firmly in that list

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Yes! Fantastic news. Well deserved. And looking forward to a positive outcome next season...

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Just listened to that interview

I have known the guy for over 20 years and that was the most Optimistic I have ever heard him speak about a forthcoming season EVER - we also chatted in the last few days and there was no variation from what he said in private to what came out in public in that interview so to anyone listening. That was as genuine an interview as you will ever hear

Even when the presenter read that text out from an 'alleged' palace fan, Chris kept his dignity!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I think the last 2 & a bit games, plus the votes of the league's managers, shows that Stephens needs to be firmly in that list
Stephens tweeted about the disappointment becoming our drive.

I sense new contracts for Stephens and Kayal are close.

Knockaert worries me, as I suspect a load of bids will come in. Need to make him too expensive.

Dunk seems the most likely to go, but perhaps he'll want to put off his ambition for a year given we are so close.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Very pleased with this.

Well done to Bloom and Barber.

Hopefully this will encourage some of our key players to sign extended contracts (thinking particularly of Stephens.)
I know I'm probably asking too much but I do hope the hive mind of NSC doesn't collectively loss it's shite when the Premier League comes calling for our key players.

It's hard not to think Dunk's as good as out of the door.
Premier League teams should be looking at Goldson.
Hemed has scored goals.
Ksayal is fit.
Stephens' contract is coming to an end.

Why stay in the Championship?
It's nothing personal.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I know I'm probably asking too much but I do hope the hive mind of NSC doesn't collectively loss it's shite when the Premier League comes calling for our key players.

Hemed has scored goals.
Ksayal is fit.

It's nothing personal.
Just think of all the ex-albion players we could re-sign with a bit of cash... :lolol:

I'm expecting you to lose it with all the threads about Ulloa, Murray and Barnes ???

:jester:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just think of all the ex-albion players we could re-sign with a bit of cash... :lolol:

I'm expecting you to lose it with all the threads about Ulloa, Murray and Barnes ???

:jester:
Orlandi and Noone on the wings.
Get back to proper football.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

Hemed has scored goals.
Ksayal is fit.

It's nothing personal.

They can come knocking, but the door will remain closed.

In his interview, CH says that he could not have got more support from the club if he had tried and he is not expecting a busy summer of recruitment like the last one (we will be signing players but not in the numbers we signed last season). By that, I take it that the club will move heaven and earth to keep the players that he wants to keep. "The core of the squad are already here" he says. No mention of hoping to hang onto anyone. We are no longer a selling club, unless a player desperately wants to leave and, as things stand right now, I doubt that we have any of those.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Hemed has scored goals.
Ksayal is fit.

It's nothing personal.

Right, had this discussion already. I think we've been a team greater than the sum of our parts this season. I don't think any of our players will necessarily be as good as they've been in this squad. Chris created something a bit special this year, and each player has risen above themselves - in my opinion.

1. Dunk makes too many mistakes and will concern most PL scouts and managers. He's been great for us, but he is rash, and his 2 red cards cost us. He looked to leave a near relegated side last summer, but it was Fulham as a suitor. I think leaving Albion this summer is a different kettle of fish.

2. Goldson will still be off the radar in my opinion. He's been immense, but he's under contract and it's going to take some cash to force Tony to break this squad up. Can only see the promoted teams and some PL strugglers coming in for him.

3. Hemed is too slow to tempt the PL sides. He'll be here next season.

4. Kayal and Stephens both excel in the Championship, but lack of goals I would imagine would put off many PL suitors. Can see Tony wrapping these two up into some nice contracts.

Why stay in the Championship? I'm not sure they'll have as much choice as you think. I don't think PL sides will be climbing themselves over each other to get them, especially if Tony stands firm on values.

Tony has spent a lot of money on signings each season, and letting quality go, starting with the obvious Murray / CMS. We've not had a squad with as much quality matched with equal spirit in decades. Perhaps I am to be disappointed, but I think he is going to tie a lot of these players up this summer. He says....praying....with my lucky pants on....

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Hemed has scored goals.
Ksayal is fit.

It's nothing personal.

Dunk and Stephens will be hard to keep if suitors come knocking with pile of cash. The other two I don't see leaving.

Goldson hasn't been here five minutes, so we won't sell him. He'll have been told we won't stand in his way if he's as good as hoped, but only after he's done his time, just like Lewis Dunk.

We rescued Kayal from a drab situation at Celtic, and now his best mate is here at the club scoring goals - and we'll want to keep them both.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm not sure they'll have as much choice as you think. I don't think PL sides will be climbing themselves over each other to get them, especially if Tony stands firm on values.
I think this too. PL teams have got heaps of money but I reckon they'll be after proven top division players - quality not quantity will be the name of the game
Dunk and Stephens will be hard to keep if suitors come knocking with pile of cash.

Yes, if any players do go, these will be the ones.

But it would be a big step up for Stephens, he certainly wouldn't be a regular in any team. Dunk, I think, looks more the part if he could cut out the odd rash challenge. I can't see Barber/Bloom letting them go without a fight though - and Dunk is a local boy who may want to go up with Brighton.

The other player who could go is Knockaert. He's a strange one - he was offered on a free last summer and no-one wanted him. He wanted away from Belgium at Christmas and we were the only serious suitors. Now, it's rumoured that Watford (and who knows who else) are preparing a bid. We shall see about that but I still think most scouts would have thought him a good (great) player at Championship level but not able to cut it in the PL

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The other player who could go is Knockaert. He's a strange one - he was offered on a free last summer and no-one wanted him. He wanted away from Belgium at Christmas and we were the only serious suitors. Now, it's rumoured that Watford (and who knows who else) are preparing a bid. We shall see about that but I still think most scouts would have thought him a good (great) player at Championship level but not able to cut it in the PL

It's going to take a fair wedge to shift Knocky I reckon. Only 6 months into his contract, what do you reckon would shift Tony to letting our key winger go? £6m, £8m, £10m? I'd put him up there such was his impact.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It's going to take a fair wedge to shift Knocky I reckon. Only 6 months into his contract, what do you reckon would shift Tony to letting our key winger go? £6m, £8m, £10m? I'd put him up there such was his impact.

That's my thinking too. There may be some clubs interested - the report I read said Watford were considering £5m -that won't do it. I do think clubs will be loath to spend big on a player who couldn't cut it in the PL just two years ago

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

At the end of the day, it is up to the player whether he wants to go or not. If he desperately wants to go then the club will not stand in his way. But for someone who was rejected by Leicester and then hated it in Belgium, he is now loving his football again and the other day tweeted that we had the best team spirit ever. Would he be happy to go and sit on the bench for a PL side? I doubt it.

It is the team spirit that will keep this side together imo. Not one of this team would walk into a PL side. If they actually want to play and enjoy their football, they will stay. I reckon that we are now the most attractive club in the Championship - best manager, best facilities, best chairman, best team spirit.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Dunk and Stephens will be hard to keep if suitors come knocking with pile of cash. The other two I don't see leaving.

Goldson hasn't been here five minutes, so we won't sell him. He'll have been told we won't stand in his way if he's as good as hoped, but only after he's done his time, just like Lewis Dunk.

We rescued Kayal from a drab situation at Celtic, and now his best mate is here at the club scoring goals - and we'll want to keep them both.
It's the piles of cash that's the problem.

I think you're right, certainly in theory and the real world, but not Premier League football.

LD is a young English ball playing centre half.
Any team looking at him couldn't help but have noticed Goldson.
Now they have to money to take a punt.

The same applies to Hemed, he's not PL class, but he'll be 'cheap', and scores.
Nobody would realistically buy him, but now he's the change round the back of the sofa.

We just have to trust Chris and the team to do as fantastic a job this summer as they did 12 months ago.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It's the piles of cash that's the problem.

I think you're right, certainly in theory and the real world, but not Premier League football.

LD is a young English ball playing centre half.
Any team looking at him couldn't help but have noticed Goldson.
Now they have to money to take a punt.

The same applies to Hemed, he's not PL class, but he'll be 'cheap', and scores.
Nobody would realistically buy him, but now he's the change round the back of the sofa.

We just have to trust Chris and the team to do as fantastic a job this summer as they did 12 months ago.
PL squads can still only contain 25 players though - are they really going to buy lots more who'll have to just sit in the canteen or be loaned out to the Championship if they are lucky ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here