Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Trains to London from Brighton totally screwed this morning

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
This is really not sustainable. Just needs the Balcombe tunnel or that viaduct north of Haywards Heath to be deemed unsafe and an entire Sussex mainline route is knocked out of the game. Time to start making forward plans for a job in Brighton?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
The biggest problem we have is that there is only an "up" and a "down" line all the way from Preston Park up to Haywards Heath. The instant a signal goes, or a line goes down, mayhem ensues. At least if there was a third line, trains could potentially get through on another line.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I'm a bit surprised there isn't a daily thread with this title

Arrived at Preston Park this morning at 925 for the 932 to London Bridge.
9.32 CANCELLED
1002 CANCELLED
ASK STAFF FOR DETAILS
No staff at all at the station
Passengers all trying to look it up on phones and tablets

What a ****ing joke. I walked home, rang my customers and apologised for living on the Brighton Line

I see from the National rail website that it is still a shambles this afternoon

I feel sorry for those who don't have the option to work from home

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I've just read that Argus article, I had no idea about the Network Rail money being paid to Southern. That is ****ing scandalous.

Thatcher's Legacy to us, sell off everything saleable, and if it isn't ,give guaranteed sweeteners so it is. Spend the money on tax cuts to keep us in office and let people down the line pick up the bill.

Train Spotter

Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
The 06:50 to Victoria and 07:00 to Bedford were the last trains leaving towards London this morning until at least 8:30 due to signalling problems south of Haywards Heath.

All London bound trains between 07:00 and 8:30 are cancelled.

WRONG!
I was on the 07:27 from Preston Park to Three Bridges - definately not cancelled.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Genuinely flabberghasted.

Would I be accused of being a paranoid lunatic to suggest that there could be some collusion here?

This.

"The new revelations come as union leaders claim Southern received up to £14 million of public money from Network Rail for disruptions on the line in 2013/14.

However, The Argus can reveal Southern passed on only £1.4 million to passengers in compensation in the period."

So where's the rest of it?

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Blah blah blah RE-INVESTMENT blah blah LONG-TERM blah blah blah CARE ABOUT OUR PASSENGERS blah blah blah BETTER SERVICE blah blah blah FUTURE.

It is a private company, so its mainly gone towards making money for the parent group. Its wrong, but thats the system today.

That said, Southern have had a load of new trains delivered lately, same for Thameslink, and will be getting a whole lot more delivered shortly as well, again same for Thameslink.

They dont come with the ability to constantly run to time of course......

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
"The new revelations come as union leaders claim Southern received up to £14 million of public money from Network Rail for disruptions on the line in 2013/14.
However, The Argus can reveal Southern passed on only £1.4 million to passengers in compensation in the period."

So where's the rest of it?

6a00d8341d417153ef0120a51bef1c970c.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here