Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sam Baldock moves to Reading {CONFIRMED}

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
None of us will probably ever know, sadly, if he was able to cut it in the Premier League.

I think we know full well that he wouldn't have been able to. It wouldn't have stopped people trying to defend him, nothing would, but this way he gets to say he never had his chance. He didn't fail in the Premier League, he just didn't do enough to earn a place in the team.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am not Skalak's biggest fan either and he is nowhere near the level we are at now; however, we allowed Jamie Murphy to go on loan to Rangers at the end of the January transfer window, he was needed as back up in the squad last year.

We are strenghtening in this window again and it is always prudent to wait until we have what we need in place before considering letting anyone go, whether it be on loan or on a permanent transfer. The club are doing things properly and very few of us know what may or may not be happening behind the scenes in terms of any of the current players either with the club or potentially coming into the club.

Even though I am not his biggest fan, Skalak would be a great asset to many a club in or around the Championship or overseas.

For some, inexplicable, reason I can see him thriving at QPR

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I think we know full well that he wouldn't have been able to. It wouldn't have stopped people trying to defend him, nothing would, but this way he gets to say he never had his chance. He didn't fail in the Premier League, he just didn't do enough to earn a place in the team.

He also struggled in the Championship at the best of times.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
He also struggled in the Championship at the best of times.

He struggled with us because we were a good footballing side in the Championship but not every club is. A more cut and thrust club who defends and hits on the break or relies more heavily on set piece moves, his inadequicies may not sho up as much

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
He also did very well in the Championship, his partnership with Tomer Hemed was prolific at times.

I have a problem with this. If they were a prolific partnership, we'd have been promoted in 2015/2016. The reason we didn't get promoted that season was our lack of cutting edge in the first half of the season and the fault is squarely on Baldock and Hemed for not scoring sufficient numbers of goals. In their defence, the service to them was often poor and the signings in the January window of that season of Skalak and Knockaert really got the team firing in the second half of the season. I do feel that the pair of them should have scored more goals to turn some of the first half season draws into wins, which would have been enough for promotion.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I have a problem with this. If they were a prolific partnership, we'd have been promoted in 2015/2016. The reason we didn't get promoted that season was our lack of cutting edge in the first half of the season and the fault is squarely on Baldock and Hemed for not scoring sufficient numbers of goals. In their defence, the service to them was often poor and the signings in the January window of that season of Skalak and Knockaert really got the team firing in the second half of the season. I do feel that the pair of them should have scored more goals to turn some of the first half season draws into wins, which would have been enough for promotion.

I'm sorry, but putting the blame on missing out on promotion on just two players is way too simplistic. There were various reasons that we didn't quite manage to cross the line, some of our own making no doubt, but many that weren't. It was a fabulous effort from everybody involved, if ultimately unsuccessful.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I'm sorry, but putting the blame on missing out on promotion on just two players is way too simplistic. There were various reasons that we didn't quite manage to cross the line, some of our own making no doubt, but many that weren't. It was a fabulous effort from everybody involved, if ultimately unsuccessful.

I agree, I don't blame those two players for our collective failure to be promoted. Nobody is truly to blame, we had an incredible start to that season and then a fantastic finish to it which ultimately fell just short of promotion. I feel that it is reasonable to criticise Baldock and Hemed's goal return in the first half of that season and in my opinion, if they had scored a few more decisive goals, we'd have won the league. It's easy to say it after the fact, of course.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I agree, I don't blame those two players for our collective failure to be promoted. Nobody is truly to blame, we had an incredible start to that season and then a fantastic finish to it which ultimately fell just short of promotion. I feel that it is reasonable to criticise Baldock and Hemed's goal return in the first half of that season and in my opinion, if they had scored a few more decisive goals, we'd have won the league. It's easy to say it after the fact, of course.

Indeed, hindsight is a great thing.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He struggled with us because we were a good footballing side in the Championship but not every club is. A more cut and thrust club who defends and hits on the break or relies more heavily on set piece moves, his inadequicies may not sho up as much

Judging by how some people on here assess players, I assume many Norwich fans would take Skalak in a heartbeat.

He ripped them apart on that glorious day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here