Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] (Evil) Google hit with 4.3bn euro Android fine from EU

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Quite right. I'm rooting for the plucky little underdog Apple on this one...

"Google is to be fined a record 4.3 billion euros ($5bn; £3.8bn) over its Android operating system, the BBC has learned.

The European Commission's action followed a three year probe into claims the firm's mobile device strategy had unfairly strengthened its dominance of search.

The penalty is set to be confirmed at a press conference in Brussels later.

It will be the largest fine imposed by the regulator against a single firm."

More >>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-44858238

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
Fining an organisation that big is one thing, collecting it is another. There will no doubt be an appeal followed by countless counter appeals. Looks good on paper for that immoral and corrupt EU though. Even more falling down water for Juncker and his cronies.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I wonder if a post-Brexit U.K. will have the same clout to issue such a fine? Or if they’d even bother.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Fining an organisation that big is one thing, collecting it is another. There will no doubt be an appeal followed by countless counter appeals. Looks good on paper for that immoral and corrupt EU though. Even more falling down water for Juncker and his cronies.

I think you need to look backwards, which you Brexiteers are very good at, and read about the numerous previous cases of the EU fining businesses for breaking its rules. You’ll then have your answer.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I wonder if they'll invent an app called Google Pay, to pay for it!
What, like this one?
0d77e3ec9d38e25776c35e2d01d9aeae.jpg

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
it is fair cop, this is the same issue we complained about Microsoft doing back in the 90's, using dominance in one market to gain dominance of another.

D

Deleted member 22389

Nobody is forcing you to use Google products. You can disable them on your phone, you can use a different search engine.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

The lawyers will be excited.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Nobody is forcing you to use Google products. You can disable them on your phone, you can use a different search engine.

Exactly. This is a non argument really as it's about what is pre-installed on your phone rather than being "forced" to use Google / Chrome etc. So Google are basically being fined because people are lazy and Google is the best search engine (so most people use that anyway). If you don't want to use their stuff just download something else and use that instead. #whatgives? :p

I also don't believe the stat that only 10% of users download a different browser. I use about six different ones as some work better than others for different things. Do 9/10 people really only use Chrome on their phones?

Shouldn't really be a difficult case to appeal and win for a company with unlimited legal backing. The lawyers will be the ones to profit as per.

Edit - Oh and well done [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] for trying to get an Apple angle into a story that has absolutely nothing to do with Apple. :bowdown:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I also don't believe the stat that only 10% of users download a different browser. I use about six different ones as some work better than others for different things. Do 9/10 people really only use Chrome on their phones?

can well believe it, firstly its in line with earlier browser market on PCs. people just dont spend time installing/trying different apps if the ones present are good enough. on PCs IE was a bag of nails for a decade (may still is, i dont use it) and even then most people didnt change it. its never occured to me to change because the standard Andriod browser as it works fine.

as to the core claim, its not just that it was default, they prevented manufacturers from replacing the default. i like Google, but this was pretty shitty behaviour, especially given the same complaint at Microsoft in the past. they bundle far too much crud with Andriod that uses up space and hopefully they'll review that before other similar claims are made.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
can well believe it, firstly its in line with earlier browser market on PCs. people just dont spend time installing/trying different apps if the ones present are good enough. on PCs IE was a bag of nails for a decade (may still is, i dont use it) and even then most people didnt change it. its never occured to me to change because the standard Andriod browser as it works fine.

as to the core claim, its not just that it was default, they prevented manufacturers from replacing the default. i like Google, but this was pretty shitty behaviour, especially given the same complaint at Microsoft in the past. they bundle far too much crud with Andriod that uses up space and hopefully they'll review that before other similar claims are made.
Most of the bloatware is from the phone manufacturer rather than Google though. Samsung are are nightmare for this.

My OnePlus is the first phone I've had where you can actually delete all the crap without rooting it. And again, you don't HAVE to use any of the pre installed apps. There are tons of others to choose from.

I can't believe that anyone uses IE (or whatever it's called now) either so I'm clearly wrong about that..... [emoji23]

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here