Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Bong knockers

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I get irritated by people who slate Gaetan, pretty much week in and week out. My point is that, in my opinion, his strength lies in his positioning and making it difficult for opponents to get in a viable shot on goal by using clever angles or pushing them wide. Take look at a couple of stats from our last two wins:

West Ham. Shots 17. On target 4.
Newcastle. Shots 27. On target 6.

This isn't all down to the blocks of Dunk and Duffy or the silky skills of Bruno. If Bong is the weakness some would say, we wouldn't see these remarkable stats that lead opposing managers to think that, despite losing, their team was the better side as Rafa and Pellegrini both claimed. He's an integral, clever player in a disciplined back four.

Completely with you on this. Bong is the high rent version of Kerry Mayo for me. We bring in player after player to oust him, but each and every time, Bong beats them out, and holds down teh left back slot. That's not done by chance, it's because he is a good player, and done a good job for the team.

Sadly, no matter how we play, where we are in whatever division, there will always be someone who the fans get on the back of. Currently that player is Bong, and some of the views on him are as inaccurate and unfair as previous views of Ashley Barnes were.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
I think you underestimate the difficulty of crossing into a box that usually has one Albion player and five defenders. The percentage option under those circumstances is to hit the most potentially dangerous ball, which is a lowish one heading for the six yard box, and hope for the best in terms of it being missed by the first defender.... Gaetan is superb at consistently making this decision and playing this ball.

Of all the crticisms, why would we single Bong out for crossing when our wingers have much to do in this area? We've used wing backs to compensate far too often in my opinion and freeing the wing up to get into the box doesn't justify it as they simply arn't goal scorers. Bong buys them space, often it's compact so the success rate can hit and miss, but I like they try to use Bong to buy the winger space to pick out a cross.

borat

Jul 16, 2003
It seems that certain players are given differing levels of criticism for similar performances. Yes Bong didnt have his best game on Sat but he is generally a consistent performer. Strong, quick and can cross. He's very hard to beat one on one. Yes his heading isnt the best and right foot is not great - if they were he would probably be at a better club!

If Dale Stephens performs poorly (as he did on Sat) - the comments are more along the line of ''he had an off day'' or ''he didnt get the support in midfield he needed'' etc etc.

My observation is that Bong needs to put in performance scores of 9 just to get a 7 from a lot of fans and if he has an ok game he gets marked down compared to others.

Not seen a lot of Bernardo but his seemed a bit postionally unaware when he came on and Newcastle had some joy down the right. Would need to see more of him though.

mattislost

Dec 12, 2011
I thought he was the player that stepped up the most from Championship to Prem. I thought he would struggle but he had a cracking season just gone. Haven't seen much of the away games so far, but I don't think he has been bad. He has made a couple of errors, but who hasn't?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Completely with you on this. Bong is the high rent version of Kerry Mayo for me. We bring in player after player to oust him, but each and every time, Bong beats them out, and holds down teh left back slot. That's not done by chance, it's because he is a good player, and done a good job for the team.

Sadly, no matter how we play, where we are in whatever division, there will always be someone who the fans get on the back of. Currently that player is Bong, and some of the views on him are as inaccurate and unfair as previous views of Ashley Barnes were.

Exactly. Hughton isn't playing him as a favour, he is playing him because he believes he is our best left back option in our squad. We have bought in players to challenge him in that position, and the only reason they are not playing is because the manager does not believe they improve the team.

It is amazing how in some fans eyes the ability of a player rises at an exponential rate against how many minutes they don't play. Right now it seems Bernardo and Andone are the 2 best players in our squad for some people...

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
I’m not a fan of Bong but he had a better season in the PL last year than many (including me) would have expected. However, I find some of the comments on this thread unbelievable: ‘clever player’, plays ‘mostly good’ ‘best left back outside top 6’, ‘never gives an opponent any peace’. Ummm…

He is appalling at crossing. Yes it’s hard but his balls have no pace, accuracy and frequently don’t beat the first man.

He often finds it hard to sort his feet out and is so one footed (see Newcastle game).

He doesn’t seem to contest crosses aimed for their right wingers anymore.

This season he has made a lot of mistakes in many games and I don’t buy the whole, ‘well Dunk, Duffy and Stephens do too’ – they perform bloody heroics at times. Bong doesn’t. He is steady at best and is part of a back 4 that is organised and knows each other games well. I cannot remember him blocking, winning a header, stopping a goal the way D and D do.

Southampton – ducks under a cross from their winger. Gives away a penalty for a pathetic challenge on Ings going at it with his wrong foot. Troy Deeney calls it ‘schoolboy’.

Spurs – Tries to tackle Kane with the wrong foot and gives away a free kick in a dangerous position. Yes I know it was Murrays fault but he gets more slack than Bong because of what he contributes to the team.

Man City – This will be read as harsh but when running back with Sterling (and matching his run) he stops for some reason without getting goal side. When he starts running, it’s too late and it’s 1-0.

Newcastle – two incredibly poor bits of ball control. Perez and then inadvertently kicking the ball back with his right foot to their attacker to have another shot in the second half. Thankfully Dunk got a block in while lying on the floor.

I know people will read this and say “just support the team”, “if CH picks him then that’s good enough for me”. I agree with both. I do support the team but also wince when I see Bong doing some of the things he does. Yes CH picks him but he also signed two players in theory to replace Bong but Bong’s solid defensive work has meant he kept his place. When the other team attacks down the right I know Bong will not be a pushover, (see West Ham performance) but let’s not starting thinking he’s being something he’s not.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
I’m not a fan of Bong but he had a better season in the PL last year than many (including me) would have expected. However, I find some of the comments on this thread unbelievable: ‘clever player’, plays ‘mostly good’ ‘best left back outside top 6’, ‘never gives an opponent any peace’. Ummm…

He is appalling at crossing. Yes it’s hard but his balls have no pace, accuracy and frequently don’t beat the first man.

He often finds it hard to sort his feet out and is so one footed (see Newcastle game).

He doesn’t seem to contest crosses aimed for their right wingers anymore.

This season he has made a lot of mistakes in many games and I don’t buy the whole, ‘well Dunk, Duffy and Stephens do too’ – they perform bloody heroics at times. Bong doesn’t. He is steady at best and is part of a back 4 that is organised and knows each other games well. I cannot remember him blocking, winning a header, stopping a goal the way D and D do.

Southampton – ducks under a cross from their winger. Gives away a penalty for a pathetic challenge on Ings going at it with his wrong foot. Troy Deeney calls it ‘schoolboy’.

Spurs – Tries to tackle Kane with the wrong foot and gives away a free kick in a dangerous position. Yes I know it was Murrays fault but he gets more slack than Bong because of what he contributes to the team.

Man City – This will be read as harsh but when running back with Sterling (and matching his run) he stops for some reason without getting goal side. When he starts running, it’s too late and it’s 1-0.

Newcastle – two incredibly poor bits of ball control. Perez and then inadvertently kicking the ball back with his right foot to their attacker to have another shot in the second half. Thankfully Dunk got a block in while lying on the floor.

I know people will read this and say “just support the team”, “if CH picks him then that’s good enough for me”. I agree with both. I do support the team but also wince when I see Bong doing some of the things he does. Yes CH picks him but he also signed two players in theory to replace Bong but Bong’s solid defensive work has meant he kept his place. When the other team attacks down the right I know Bong will not be a pushover, (see West Ham performance) but let’s not starting thinking he’s being something he’s not.

I think the rally is because people arn't being even handed when they dedicate threads to criticising Bong. Bassouma has been a liability, but you've got to give players a chance to make mistakes to develop. March and Knocky's decision making and execution at times is woeful, but they are industrious and committed. You could go on. There's nothing that justifies a continued focus in threads on Bong's development areas.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think fans too often look at individuals and try to give individual performances a rating 1 to 10 - Perhaps people shuld look a bit deeper and ask themselves. ''What has that individual been asked or told to do to contribute to a team performance before they judge them individually.

Exactly. The minority on Stephens’s case don’t get it, that his role is largely as a DM, shielding the centre halves, battling away in the midfield dogfight and passing to our creative players.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
I think the rally is because people arn't being even handed when they dedicate threads to criticising Bong. Bassouma has been a liability, but you've got to give players a chance to make mistakes to develop. March and Knocky's decision making and execution at times is woeful, but they are industrious and committed. You could go on. There's nothing that justifies a continued focus in threads on Bong's development areas.

Disagree. What AK and March have to do (final ball, beat a man, score etc) is far harder to do than what Bong is struggling to do i.e. kick the ball with his weaker foot, sort his feet out, cross a ball, put off their attacker at crosses. In fact, AK is starting to do this more often (not so much March but he gets some slack too. Agree about Bissouma but he's young and has just joined the team instead of Bong who's been playing here for four years. I'm not expecting Bong to play like Roberto Carlos, I am hoping he stops these errors.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I think you underestimate the difficulty of crossing into a box that usually has one Albion player and five defenders. The percentage option under those circumstances is to hit the most potentially dangerous ball, which is a lowish one heading for the six yard box, and hope for the best in terms of it being missed by the first defender.... Gaetan is superb at consistently making this decision and playing this ball.

Utter tosh. He hardly ever makes a low cross into the box!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Part of the reason I and a fair few others take issue about Bong is the unwarranted high esteem that his fans seem to hold him. Stephens gets flack for mistakes but no one on the other side of the coin claims he is the best defensive midfielder after Kante!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Bong Knockers

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 167

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Indeed, which is why he and the recruitment team have been trying to bring in a replacement for 2 seasons now.

Yes, and Bong has proved to be better than what they've found so far. We'll always be looking to improve the squad, no one is saying Bong doesn't have his limitations, but anyone suggesting he is rubbish or not up to it is clearly well off the mark.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Part of the reason I and a fair few others take issue about Bong is the unwarranted high esteem that his fans seem to hold him. Stephens gets flack for mistakes but no one on the other side of the coin claims he is the best defensive midfielder after Kante!

What a bizarre thing to say, you take issue with a player just because other people hold them in high esteem!? That is almost as faintly ridiculous as your Hughton thread.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here