Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Songs in which real people are namechecked in the title or the lyrics

Bod

Dec 8, 2015
Hello by The Beloved has about 30 names and even manages to rhyme Fred Astaire with Vince Hillair

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Hello by The Beloved has about 30 names and even manages to rhyme Fred Astaire with Vince Hillair

Tommy Cannon - Bobby Ball. Classic!

And speaking of Palace players, how about Attila's 'Roll Up For The Donkey Derby'?

Nelson Mandela, Gordon Smith, Colin Moynihan (in the original which I can't find on Youtube), Gary O'Reilly, John Pemberton, Alan Pardew, Gary Pallister.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0z9KHY0eUQ

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Abraham isn't mentioned in 'Desolation Row'. He is mentioned in 'Highway 61 Revisited'. If biblical characters are accepted as real under your rules, he does mention Cain and Able and Noah, taking 'Desolation Row' to nine. If they're not, it's only six. Robin Hood could take it to ten. There is as much evidence for his existence as there is for any of the Biblical names.
My error. Wasn't sure if Abraham actually existed. Assumed he did. Possibly not. Was pretty certain Cain, Abel and Noah were fictional. The same with Robin Hood who is to my understanding just a legend although he may have been based on a real person.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Wings- Band on the Run: Picasso's Last Words; Mrs Vandebilt
Ian Dury- Reasons to be cheerful, part 3: Buddy Holly [and more, probs...]
Jethro Tull - Errr Jethro Tull; and My God

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Razor Smith who was a rockabilly early 80s during the usual gang/turf wars when just your fists and the occasional sword was used, he graduated to sawn off shotguns and being a bouncer at the rockin clubs in London, he then started robbing banks and latter wrote a book, which was called “a few kind words & a loaded gun” not a bad read, about the old days and people I knew.

[yt]p2tJfZZitK4[/yt]

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
The rules are:
1. Either the full name, first name or surname must be mentioned in either the title or lyrics.
2. If only the first name or surname is used it must be in reference to an actual person.
3. Songs which are allegedly about a particular person but none of that person's names are used are not permitted. ("You're so Vain" allegedly about Mick Jagger or Warren Beatty is not permitted)
4. All name references must be to an actual person, living or dead, not to a fictional character.

I'll start the ball rolling with an exhaustive list of Bob Dylan songs who evidentally is something of a name dropper. In "Desolation Row" he namechecks seven people and in "I Shall be Free" he mentions eight. Can anyone beat this

Song for Bob Dylan - David Bowie

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
My perfect cousin by the Undertones was about a band member’s cousin called Kevin

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here