Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] United on the verge.....

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Pogba has the skill but not the fight and has already been got shot of once by United so are all the managers wrong?

That’s completely the opposite of the truth. He chose to walk out on Utd at the end of his youth contract, because he was annoyed at lack of first team opportunity (and no doubt ££££). United didn’t ‘get shot’. They were furious when he walked out.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
What is wrong with Sanchez as I do not think there is anybody on this earth who didnt expect him to be a great hit at United.whether they be Arsenal fans United fans or just football fans in general

Maybe there's nothing wrong with Sanchez, but there are other things that are wrong.

Personally I would gave got rid of Mourinho half way through last season....

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Maybe there's nothing wrong with Sanchez, but there are other things that are wrong.

absolutly, he's got the trophies in the past, but he's clearly lost his touch

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
That’s completely the opposite of the truth. He chose to walk out on Utd at the end of his youth contract, because he was annoyed at lack of first team opportunity (and no doubt ££££). United didn’t ‘get shot’. They were furious when he walked out.
That's partially the truth in that they did not want him to go but Fergie did not like the agent and his demands and refused to work with him.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I like him.

The media narrative is always to try to get under his skin, to try to trip him up, ask pointed questions that will generate headlines. So of course he's always on the defensive, which then, in itself, makes it a "story". It must be incredibly wearing, knowing that every word you utter will be micro-analysed and twisted towards a particular narrative.

He has a point you know. Pochettino and Klopp have won the square route of f-all, and have finished MILES behind United, yet they get a very easy ride from the press. Mourinho is a sourpuss, but I can kind of see where he's coming from. His tan is bloody amazing as well.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

Given that the 'united way' is quality attacking football with flair and success it amazes me that they took him in the first place.

Of course given that only three managers have ever won the top league with Man U I would suggest that since Fergie left they have reverteo the 'United Way

Last edited:

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
You simply cannot have a situation where one player is bigger than the club - and that is what is happening at the moment.

However much you may disagree with Mourinho's tactics and results, you have to back him here. The manager is in charge not the player.

Remember the situation at Newcastle with Shearer? It almost felt like the club had to what he thought before they appointed a manager such was his influence at the club. And look many trophies he won there.....

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I like him.

The media narrative is always to try to get under his skin, to try to trip him up, ask pointed questions that will generate headlines. So of course he's always on the defensive, which then, in itself, makes it a "story". It must be incredibly wearing, knowing that every word you utter will be micro-analysed and twisted towards a particular narrative.

He has a point you know. Pochettino and Klopp have won the square route of f-all, and have finished MILES behind United, yet they get a very easy ride from the press. Mourinho is a sourpuss, but I can kind of see where he's coming from. His tan is bloody amazing as well.

That's for two reasons. 1) they're substantially more likeable that Mourinho because they don't do horrible little things like throwing professional medics under the bus or poke people in the eye, and 2) both managers have, up until now, worked with considerably less resources than Mourinho who really should've had Man United up there properly with City now considering the financial input and time he's had. Klopp, for the first time, is rightly under a bit more pressure, but even then he's had to sell substantially more to pay the sums he's paid out for; Mourinho simply hasn't had to do that.

The reality is he's a more successful Tony Pulis - just even more whiny!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You simply cannot have a situation where one player is bigger than the club - and that is what is happening at the moment.

However much you may disagree with Mourinho's tactics and results, you have to back him here. The manager is in charge not the player.

Remember the situation at Newcastle with Shearer? It almost felt like the club had to what he thought before they appointed a manager such was his influence at the club. And look many trophies he won there.....

That is very true.

But Mourinho doesn't help by singling out allegedly under-performing or overweight players to the squad and media, and always having to have the last media soundbite in any bitchy battle with a player. Very childish, very damaging.

In this case it's not a binary choice. Both individuals are damaging the club.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Forgetting Pogba, JM seems to be a little lost. The 'three year' cycle has come around, he has spent a shed load of cash and doesn't seem to have a definitive style of play or line-up. City and Liverpool do however.

'Not special anymore' fits both manager and club, and in the case of the latter it's fantastic to see.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I like him.

I agree with you. What's more, I think people forget how gentlemanly Mourinho behaved when he was winning everything at Chelsea. I don't recall him being particularly arrogant and remember one instance when Chelsea batter league one Huddersfield in the FA Cup, that he invited the Hudds manager for a drink afterwards and showed him a dossier he'd prepared on the Hudds team. I think it showed respect to the opposition and how down to earth he was at the time.

You're absolutely right about his treatment compared to Klopp and Pochettino - Man Utd finished absolutely miles ahead of the pair of them last season, and neither of the other two have won anything.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I like him.

We need characters in the game. It's boring otherwise.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The reality is he's a more successful Tony Pulis - just even more whiny!
Even bothering to compare those two is ridiculous.

Tony Pulis
Gillingham
Football League Third Division runner-up: 1995–96

Stoke City
Football League Championship runner-up: 2007–08
FA Cup runner-up: 2010–11

Jose Mourinho:
Porto
Primeira Liga: 2002–03, 2003–04
Taça de Portugal: 2002–03
Supertaça Cândido de Oliveira: 2003
UEFA Champions League: 2003–04
UEFA Cup: 2002–03

Chelsea
Premier League: 2004–05, 2005–06, 2014–15
FA Cup: 2006–07
Football League Cup: 2004–05, 2006–07, 2014–15
FA Community Shield: 2005

Internazionale
Serie A: 2008–09, 2009–10
Coppa Italia: 2009–10
Supercoppa Italiana: 2008
UEFA Champions League: 2009–10

Real Madrid
La Liga: 2011–12
Copa del Rey: 2010–11
Supercopa de España: 2012

Manchester United
EFL Cup: 2016–17
FA Community Shield: 2016
UEFA Europa League: 2016–17

The actual reality is that he is more successful than all but maybe 6 or 7 managers across the world in the past 20 years!

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Pogba is too good for United now. He should leave and go to a club with a top manager who will get the most out of his unbelievable talent.

Mourinho was great for a 10 year spell between 2002 and 2012 but he is now yesterdays man. To be fair to him 10 years at the very top is longer than most managers get but the game has clearly moved on from him now. Klopp, Pep and Sarri in this league alone are a long way ahead of him now.

Pogba should leave. If he went to Liverpool, City, Chelsea, Barca, Juve, PSG or Bayern to play for their managers, he would be unstoppable.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Even bothering to compare those two is ridiculous.

The actual reality is that he is more successful than all but maybe 6 or 7 managers across the world in the past 20 years!

"He is a more successful Tony Pulis". I stand by that, and writing a list of his achievements as a comparison does nothing but prove my point.

They both play a similar style of football - just one with substantially more resources than the other. Both are whiny, annoying men.

The reality is that most of the best clubs in the world simply wont stomach the Mourinho style of football anymore - it's archaic and being the underdog is only good if you're actually the underdog. Some managers are better with such jobs and some managers are better when they have to create attacking sides. Mourinho made his name as a big budget defensive coach with a focus on being a strong side that's tough to beat. But even at Chelsea he was the underdog as they'd not won anything of note in year. The same at Inter in the Champions League where no one expected them to win anything, despite their budget at the time being massive compared to everyone else in their league. But at Real and Man Utd, where he's had to build proactive, attacking sides for fans that demand more, he's failed.

So I'm sorry, but the comparison is valid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here