Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Poor Serena

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
There were repercussions for John McEnroe as well back in the day.

In 1984 he was suspended for 21 days for exceeding a 7,500 US dollars limit put on fines that had been instigated because of his behaviour when he demanded of an umpire, "Answer the question, jerk". And he was thrown out of the Australian Open in 1990 for swearing at an umpire, the tournament supervisor and referee.

Repercussions have always been there in tennis. It's just now that Serena as a woman will receive the consequences of her actions that it's unfair.

What's more unfair is women playing a maximum of 3 sets whilst men play 5 for the same prize money.

There's little equality there.

Well said Sir …..perhaps Billie Jean King would like to comment on that exercise in equality .

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
...perhaps Billie Jean King would like to comment on that exercise in equality .

equality.jpg

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I was watching it on Prime, and what irked me at the time almost as much as her disgusting rants was the attitude of the commentary team. I hate the fact that people like Annabel Croft don't do their jobs properly, and simply skirt around saying it like it is. You're commentating, I want you to tell us that this is shocking behaviour and totally uncalled for, rather than the sort of "I think something might have upset Serena here" bollocks that they report it as.

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Shameful disrespect to the umpire and, more importantly, to her opponent. Glad she got booed. Expect a whole load of back-pedalling in the next 48 hours before the sponsors start bailing out. Shame. Thought she was far better than that.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Think you will find most Americans have always been half way up their own backsides without any help from anyone else .

Having worked with and for Americans for most of my 40 years working life, I would take issue with that. But do carry on telling me I will find.

Stumpy Tim

What's more unfair is women playing a maximum of 3 sets whilst men play 5 for the same prize money.

There's little equality there.

I used to agree with you on that, but Andy Murray made a very good point. As spectators we only see the 3 set / 5 set argument, but as players they're all making the same sacrifices all year round. So yes the women pay fewer sets, but the impact on their lives and the sacrifices they make are actually just the same as the men. Hard to argue against that in my opinion.

Serena (and the US crowd) were a disgrace by the way.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I used to agree with you on that, but Andy Murray made a very good point. As spectators we only see the 3 set / 5 set argument, but as players they're all making the same sacrifices all year round. So yes the women pay fewer sets, but the impact on their lives and the sacrifices they make are actually just the same as the men. Hard to argue against that in my opinion.

Wouldn't disagree at all with the sacrifice part, especially and even more so when children are involved as in Serena's case with a young daughter.

That said, the paying public and sponsors don't pay to see the training and what goes in behind the scenes - they pay for the matches and trophies.

A women's marathon is the same distance as the men's. A women's football match is the same time duration as that of men.

Tennis is simply behind the times at the moment. Time for a change.

(Hope you're well, Tim. Still remember with fondness the brace you got for us in REMF 1 and our night out afterwards with you giving Ian Chapman your autograph!)

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

That seems to be a very week argument! Like saying that in an office, when every goes home both men and women do equal chores but women only have to work half a day for the same money men get for working a full day!

Stumpy Tim

Wouldn't disagree at all with the sacrifice part, especially and even more so when children are involved as in Serena's case with a young daughter.

That said, the paying public and sponsors don't pay to see the training and what goes in behind the scenes - they pay for the matches and trophies.

A women's marathon is the same distance as the men's. A women's football match is the same time duration as that of men.

Tennis is simply behind the times at the moment. Time for a change.

(Hope you're well, Tim. Still remember with fondness the brace you got for us in REMF 1 and our night out afterwards with you giving Ian Chapman your autograph!)
Very well thanks mate. Remember those times with fondness!

Stumpy Tim

That seems to be a very week argument! Like saying that in an office, when every goes home both men and women do equal chores but women only have to work half a day for the same money men get for working a full day!

Not really. The actual matches are a tiny part of the full life of a tennis player in terms of training, nutrition etc. Your example would suggest a much bigger percentage of time is playing matches

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
She may well have a point but in the context of this game it doesn't make sense - There two women fighting in the final, one had a meltdown and lost. I say this as wet lefty liberal, but the claims she's making right now are just a deflection and will probably help her avoid any sanctions. If she honestly believe that umpires are sexist (really struggle with that one) then maybe should let the dust settle for a couple of days.

Oh, and the comments on Williams' physical attributes and general attractiveness are predictable, sad and probably quite ironic.

The bottom line is that she and her adoring public were confident that it would be another Serena title. When that arrogance unravelled during the game, Serena's true colours came out as an abusive bad loser. She has form. No sexism from me, I hated the bully boy bad loser tactics from McEnroe and Nadal ...... for all the smiles and charm when they're winning, adversity revealed underlying unpleasant personalities. Classless, charmless, unsporting.

Well done to the officials for standing up to the bully. No competitor is bigger than their sport.

Sadly, Osaka's great breakthrough has been overshadowed by an entirely selfish bully.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Never mind, the Ryder Cup its on its way soon. Thankfully not in the US this time, but presumably there'll still be a contingent of red-faced overweight Yanks bellowing "Get in da hole" into the Europeans' faces.

Or the cringeworthy "You're the man", said in a exaggerated deep voice after a Yank tees off. They've been watching too many movies about the Green Berets.

I love America, but the tw*ts that follow the Ryder Cup and US tennis are classless.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Not really. The actual matches are a tiny part of the full life of a tennis player in terms of training, nutrition etc. Your example would suggest a much bigger percentage of time is playing matches

Sponsors of tournaments don't care about what happens away from the tournament. They don't pay for players to train. If they did then money would be more evenly spread out across all the rankings. The fact remains prize money is for winning a tournament and I would love to see the women's game increase to 5 sets for grand slams.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

So our ladies are playing in the premier league and are professional,should they earn the same as the men, though the standard is very poor and hardly anyone watches despite the efforts of the club?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
So our ladies are playing in the premier league and are professional,should they earn the same as the men, though the standard is very poor and hardly anyone watches despite the efforts of the club?

No, because the standard is very poor and hardly anyone watches despite the efforts of the club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here