Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] NSC Chess Club

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well that’s a relief I thought that NSC had gone all theatrical for 19 pages and that this was a thread about the remake of Chess the musical with Michael Ball and Alexandra Burke...phew!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Everyone happy with that?

Sounds good. A straight knockout would be too quick for players trying to get back into it. If you go out after the group stage you can always nip off to one of the chess sites to practise whilst you await the next tourney on here to start up.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Yep, sound good to me.

I'm ready to push my pawns and play with my bishop.

dannybrooks69

Jun 28, 2013
I think your better off doing a straight knockout to begin with. If that works and people are still actively participating then you could look at different formats further down the line.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Looks good to me.

Is there a time limit? I'm snowed under with work at the moment (I'm missing the Cov game to work) and I won't be able to start a game for a few days.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Are we playing on Chess.com or Lichess maybe? What is the time limit? 45/45? 30/30?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Yep, sound good to me.

I'm ready to push my pawns and play with my bishop.

Bash that Bishop Pickles and let’s see your Fianchetto in all its glory.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Have you given up on South Africa? Just when it was about to improve!

EES complicated. I need to be back here for now for family and personal reasons. I may or may not go back it depends on a lot of stuff. I may relocate to Manchester than back to SA, depends on various stuff health and familywise. But my visa runs out soon, and I dont want to go through that all again, it took months and a lot of money and flights to get my critical skills visa. I dunno, I am ok here at the moment. I have toyed with the idea of coming back to Brighton for the Albion and mates but that isnt top of the list right now

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Maffew, strike whilst the iron is hot!

You've done done well here matey, to get 32 chess players together that are chomping at the bit.

So, three questions....

1..Are we playing on chess.com?

2. Will the games be ( minimum of 1 move per 24 hours ) rather than 'live' games?

3. When will this be set up?

Come on Maffew, we're raring to BASH our BISHOPS!!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Can I make a couple of suggestions.

First of all, make each group six games, with each player playing everyone as black and as white.
The reason for this is two-fold. Firstly, two people in each group would have the advantage of playing white for two games, that's a pretty big advantage to have.
Secondly, six games would make it less likely people have tied scores.

Which brings me on to my other point. I don't like the idea of scoring based on pieces left. What that means is that someone who does a brilliant sacrifice, giving up a queen for a mate in three moves is penalised. That's really the wrong approach to take, imaginative play should be rewarded, not punished.

I suggest that in the event of a tie, places should be decided on who you've beaten (as it is in tournaments). So if you've beaten two people, one with one and one with half a point, and you're tied with someone who's beaten someone on two points and one on half a point, the latter wins.

If it's still equal, there's a blitz play-off.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

You've done done well here matey, to get 32 chess players together that are chomping at the bit.

So, three questions....

2. Will the games be ( minimum of 1 move per 24 hours ) rather than 'live' games?

It has to be the one move a day format. That doesn’t mean it will be a move a day, it invariably moves quicker than that. The alternative is arranging certain times to play limited time format games and that’s nigh on impossible with most of us having busy lives and liasasing.

If a tournament is set up on chess.com between invited players I think the the organiser has to be a paid up member.
Over to you boys.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England

So, three questions....

Good questions
I am trying dude! I think its gonna be chess.com, I was after some feedback from [MENTION=30492]Peter Ward[/MENTION] as he seems to have a bit more online experience than me
The games will not be live games, its too hard pairing people up with work and family commitments, a move per 48 hours I would prefer to allow for people to attend football/work, dont want to see people forfeit games for reasons out their control. Of course a 48 move on a 40 move game doesnt mean an - day game. Most games I expect would be complete in an evening/pretty much live

I hope to have it set up tonight. A small caveat I unexpectedly have to go to hospital on Tues for 2 weeks and no internet access which is really annoying but yes lets get our bishops bashed. If we get this running I want a BHAFC team (us) to take on the worlds other FC teams. I will post back. Last thing I want is to delay it 2 weeks with 32 keen and formidable players so bear with

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
It has to be the one move a day format. That doesn’t mean it will be a move a day, it invariably moves quicker than that. The alternative is arranging certain times to play limited time format games and that’s nigh on impossible with most of us having busy lives and liasasing.

If a tournament is set up on chess.com between invited players I think the the organiser has to be a paid up member.
Over to you boys.

Yeah I am happy to pay the measly fee but I am quite new on there and there are rules on who can and cant set up tournaments so have 6 games on the go to increase my ranking

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England

First of all, make each group six games, with each player playing everyone as black and as white.
The reason for this is two-fold. Firstly, two people in each group would have the advantage of playing white for two games, that's a pretty big advantage to have.

Which brings me on to my other point. I don't like the idea of scoring based on pieces left. What that means is that someone who does a brilliant sacrifice, giving up a queen for a mate in three moves is penalised. That's really the wrong approach to take, imaginative play should be rewarded, not punished.

I suggest that in the event of a tie, places should be decided on who you've beaten (as it is in tournaments). So if you've beaten two people, one with one and one with half a point, and you're tied with someone who's beaten someone on two points and one on half a point, the latter wins.

OK all good suggestions

Good points, and maybe I should have been clearer

I think that 6 games per player may be too many with 32, (but the idea of less chance of a tie on points is correct), as some will obviously drop out, and yeah the white advantage (depending on if you are a tactical/positional/beginning/end game player should even out as a first run)

The scoring on pieces left is only valid in a tie generally or if the clock runs out

Blitz playoff sounds a good call

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here