Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Why don't you ever mention the remainer youths pissing and puking half naked on the streets of Europe.

If I knew what you were going on about I might be able to comment. Remainer youths? Who? Where?

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
All these house cats talking about a second vote is all very nice, there’s not going to be one .
Soon be spring.
On our way..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
On the issue of a 2nd referendum.

Were I a leave supporter I'd be p*issed off with this (even though both Rees Mogg and Farage suggested a 2nd referendum). And as a remainer, I would have been against a 2nd referendum had my side won.
So as a remainer I feel that wanting a 2nd referendum (which I do) smacks of unfair play and even hypocrisy.

But I'm both sure it's that simple.

1. Brexiteer logic was that at the time of the referendum you couldn't promise a 2nd one. Why? Well one reason (and I agree with this) was that if the EU knew we were going to have a 2nd referendum they'd give us the most shite deal imaginable to lure us back in. We'd get a better deal without it.

2. there was no point offering a 2nd referendum remain supporters. After all, if we'd have voted to stay in they'd be no deal to vote on. What would be the point? And they'd be nothing to stop us having another referendum at a later stage if circumstances changed.

But it looks now like the deal will be pretty shite anyway. And if it's as bad as it looks then it would be perverse not to revisit the whole thing. (And note I'm not using the argument that no-one knew what they were voting for.

There are no constitutional barriers to a holding a 2nd referendum. It just needs parliamentary support. And ironically it's the sovereignty of parliament that started the whole bloody debate about the UK in the EU in the first place.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
More people are now aware of how duplicitous and self serving our politicians are, regardless of party and apparent views. I see no point in another referendum. Referendums (referenda?), should surely be binding otherwise why start the process in the first place?

We all know the Remainers wouldn't accept a second Brexit outcome any more than the first. And why should the Brexiteers accept a diffent outcome? My biggest disappointment is that once the decision was made, politicians of all colours decided to put their own interests above anything else and allow a divided UK to take on a united EU.

That's total bollocks. It's clear that there are politicians, on both sides of the Brexit debate, who hold very clear and sincere views about the EU. Furthermore, these politicians will act against their own self-interest to promote those views. Why has Anna Soubry endured a campaign of vilification and even threats if she didn't believe in Remaining? Why has Kate Hoey risked deselection as an MP by persisting in voting to leave. Both these politicians (and there are others) have acted completely against their self-interest in continuing the debate. And there are politicians who ignore their own beliefs: look at how May, a Remainer, has doggedly stuck to her Brexit plans, going completely against what she personally believes.

I know politicians get a bad press (and often it's deserved) but in this instance, with one exception, I can't think of a single politician who has put self-interest above his or her own beliefs.

The exception is, of course, Boris Johnson who cast aside his own support for the EU in favour of pursuing his own personal ambition. But you can't judge all politicians by Johnson's standard.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
On the issue of a 2nd referendum.

Were I a leave supporter I'd be p*issed off with this (even though both Rees Mogg and Farage suggested a 2nd referendum). And as a remainer, I would have been against a 2nd referendum had my side won.
So as a remainer I feel that wanting a 2nd referendum (which I do) smacks of unfair play and even hypocrisy.

But I'm both sure it's that simple.

1. Brexiteer logic was that at the time of the referendum you couldn't promise a 2nd one. Why? Well one reason (and I agree with this) was that if the EU knew we were going to have a 2nd referendum they'd give us the most shite deal imaginable to lure us back in. We'd get a better deal without it.

2. there was no point offering a 2nd referendum remain supporters. After all, if we'd have voted to stay in they'd be no deal to vote on. What would be the point? And they'd be nothing to stop us having another referendum at a later stage if circumstances changed.

But it looks now like the deal will be pretty shite anyway. And if it's as bad as it looks then it would be perverse not to revisit the whole thing. (And note I'm not using the argument that no-one knew what they were voting for.

There are no constitutional barriers to a holding a 2nd referendum. It just needs parliamentary support. And ironically it's the sovereignty of parliament that started the whole bloody debate about the UK in the EU in the first place.

The biggest threat to Brexit is the Brexiteers, they aren't going to get what they want and if they push us to the edge of the cliff its likely parliament will pull us away from the rocks.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
You are so sosphicated. Why don't you ever mention the remainer youths pissing and puking half naked on the streets of Europe.

I've got to hear this one, do tell.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
That's total bollocks. It's clear that there are politicians, on both sides of the Brexit debate, who hold very clear and sincere views about the EU. Furthermore, these politicians will act against their own self-interest to promote those views. Why has Anna Soubry endured a campaign of vilification and even threats if she didn't believe in Remaining? Why has Kate Hoey risked deselection as an MP by persisting in voting to leave. Both these politicians (and there are others) have acted completely against their self-interest in continuing the debate. And there are politicians who ignore their own beliefs: look at how May, a Remainer, has doggedly stuck to her Brexit plans, going completely against what she personally believes.

I know politicians get a bad press (and often it's deserved) but in this instance, with one exception, I can't think of a single politician who has put self-interest above his or her own beliefs.

The exception is, of course, Boris Johnson who cast aside his own support for the EU in favour of pursuing his own personal ambition. But you can't judge all politicians by Johnson's standard.

I tend to agree with you. By and large, our politicians are far more principled than they get credit for from the general public. There are one or two others but Boris Johnson in particular really does stick out like a sore thumb - that man is a complete disgrace and that quote from Michael Heseltine was absolutely spot on: 'Boris waits to see which direction people are running then runs past them shouting follow me'

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Don't follow anyone. Don't do twitter or Facebook. Plenty of Leave mates do and they show me what is said been plenty of posts about what I said.

Then you ARE following social media. Just through your mates. And on here of course. What do you think NSC is, dimwit!? Christ you Leave voters are thick, thick as bloomin’ mince!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I tend to agree with you. By and large, our politicians are far more principled than they get credit for from the general public. There are one or two others but Boris Johnson in particular really does stick out like a sore thumb - that man is a complete disgrace and that quote from Michael Heseltine was absolutely spot on: 'Boris waits to see which direction people are running then runs past them shouting follow me'

Agree, its become very populist since the expenses scandal to slag off all MP's.

Most go into politics for the right reason, there will always be bad apples in all walks of life. Who hasn't had a bad boss or one that only cares for himself.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Brexit Anxiety Syndrome seems to be looming large today,we must be Leaving soon.All this talk of remoaners being more intelligent is just their superiority complexes kicking in.'I've been to university so I deserve everything I want,and everyone else is beneath me.On no,we lost the referendum,it must have been fixed,Leave crooks spent too much,Boris is a *******,Farage is a traitor,I need my nanny,want a second vote,everybody on the remain side is young and beautiful and there are more of us now,you will all die soon,and the M20 will be a car park.wah,wah,wah,wah,'.Why don't you all drink a cup of STFU,and take your meds :D

Oh,and by the way,the only eggs that have salmonella nowadays are those millions of Dutch ones sold in Germany and used in baby foods-poor animal hygiene!
:rotlf::bigwave:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
1) That you can't spell 'lose'
2) That you're completely wrong about only remainers wanting a second referendum
https://news.sky.com/story/nigel-farage-we-should-have-a-second-referendum-on-brexit-11203281
3) A boycott (ie people not bothering to vote) would mean that remainers would win easily
4) This thread will be merged with the other Brexit thread before you can say Guy Verhofstadt
Agree - an obvious candidate for the stupidest idea of the year. If the UK does go down the EU route of referendums (keep holding new ones until they get the 'right' result) leavers boycotting it would result in a remain landslide.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Then you ARE following social media. Just through your mates. And on here of course. What do you think NSC is, dimwit!? Christ you Leave voters are thick, thick as bloomin’ mince!

Yet another remainer resorting to abuse!

Showing your superior intelligence here I see. :thumbsup:

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Agree - an obvious candidate for the stupidest idea of the year. If the UK does go down the EU route of referendums (keep holding new ones until they get the 'right' result) leavers boycotting it would result in a remain landslide.

And very possibly civil unrest I would imagine.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Yet another remainer resorting to abuse!

Showing your superior intelligence here I see. :thumbsup:

Abuse? Honestly, what a 'Snowflake'

How did people like you get through school? How do you survive a night at the pub, a day at work, a match? If being called 'thick as mince' upsets you, gawd help you!!! Bleeding hellfire! My Grandad used to call me worse with a smile on his face as a joke. Abuse my eye! You're lucky you don't get more of it! :D

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Brexit Anxiety Syndrome seems to be looming large today,we must be Leaving soon.All this talk of remoaners being more intelligent is just their superiority complexes kicking in.'I've been to university so I deserve everything I want,and everyone else is beneath me.On no,we lost the referendum,it must have been fixed,Leave crooks spent too much,Boris is a *******,Farage is a traitor,I need my nanny,want a second vote,everybody on the remain side is young and beautiful and there are more of us now,you will all die soon,and the M20 will be a car park.wah,wah,wah,wah,'.Why don't you all drink a cup of STFU,and take your meds :D

Oh,and by the way,the only eggs that have salmonella nowadays are those millions of Dutch ones sold in Germany and used in baby foods-poor animal hygiene!
:rotlf::bigwave:
The first person to mention Boris Johnson this morning as a untrustworthy chancer is a leaver, my pea-brained gammony friend.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here