Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Vote to expel Albion from the League

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Its an interesting question, and I am pretty sure Ron Noads let it be known they did not vote for Brighton to expelled from the league...

This is my understanding as well.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Does freedom of information cover this sort of thing?

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
Its an interesting question, and I am pretty sure Ron Noads let it be known they did not vote for Brighton to expelled from the league...but that was a while ago and my memorey might be playing me up !

I think your memory's fine, loz, cos I seem to recall that as well. The only club I know for certain that wanted us out were Orient - ironic given their current position! As for the others, whoever they may be, there are no words to describe them. It wouldn't have just meant a short time in the Conference - our ground situation meant we would have had to drop to lower leagues and face the death of our Club - at least the one we had known, loved and fought for. There really is something unspeakable about voting for the possible death of an old and much-loved Club, be it ours or anyone else's.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011

No, it only applies to state bodies, not private or membership-based ones (which is one of many reasons why the constant contracting-out of public services to private companies is a terrible idea, but that's a whole different rant that I'll save for a more appropriate thread).

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

James Hacker: How am I going to explain the missing documents to "The Mail"?

Sir Humphrey Appleby: Well, this is what we normally do in circumstances like these.

James Hacker: [reads memo] This file contains the complete set of papers, except for a number of secret documents, a few others which are part of still active files, some correspondence lost in the floods of 1967...

James Hacker: Was 1967 a particularly bad winter?

Sir Humphrey Appleby: No, a marvellous winter. We lost no end of embarrassing files.

James Hacker: [reads] Some records which went astray in the move to London and others when the War Office was incorporated in the Ministry of Defence, and the normal withdrawal of papers whose publication could give grounds for an action for libel or breach of confidence or cause embarrassment to friendly governments.

James Hacker: That's pretty comprehensive. How many does that normally leave for them to look at?

James Hacker: How many does it actually leave? About a hundred?... Fifty?... Ten?... Five?... Four?... Three?... Two?... One?... *Zero?*

Sir Humphrey Appleby: Yes, Minister.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
As a fan of the club since the start of the beginning of the Withdean era I didn’t live through the dark days of Archer and only know of this based on what I’ve read subsequently or remember in glimpses from the local news as a young child.

As a result one piece of history from that time I’m aware of but would like to know more of is the vote in July 97 to expel the club from the league that the club won 47-17. Can anyone share any suggested reading on this?

There's a whole load of 'Gulls Eye' fanzine scans at http://www.seagullsprogrammes.co.uk/fanzines/4590683254 which give another perspective on the lead-up to the vote.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Barry Hearn voted for brighton not to be expelled. At an orient fans forum he was criticised for doing so but said he liked dick knight and felt he deserved a chance and also why would he vote to expel a local team who would bring huge numbers to brisbane road

Southend under dave webb voted to expel us (interesting as dave webbs son turned up at brighton playing under peter taylor)

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Thinking back to those days they were really feral weren't they?

I know it's been said before but the contrast with now is so, so stark. It must be hard to imagine for those fans who have come to the club in the last 10-15 years and almost impossible for the kids who have only known the Amex era.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Thinking back to those days they were really feral weren't they?

I know it's been said before but the contrast with now is so, so stark. It must be hard to imagine for those fans who have come to the club in the last 10-15 years and almost impossible for the kids who have only known the Amex era.
My son is 11 and I've made sure that he understands that he's ridiculously lucky to have been born into this period of the Albion's history.

He gets it and I'm sure there are loads of kids with parents who lived through the darkest days who also get it.

It's a huge part of what makes supporting Brighton unique.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
"This whole process will prove quite costly but we believe it's worth it because we want to play at Millwall."

Makes you realise just how bad things were.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
My son is 11 and I've made sure that he understands that he's ridiculously lucky to have been born into this period of the Albion's history.

He gets it and I'm sure there are loads of kids with parents who lived through the darkest days who also get it.

It's a huge part of what makes supporting Brighton unique.

That's good to hear and I agree I'm sure there are many kids who understand our history. I just meant it must be difficult to imagine the atmosphere surrounding the club.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am surprised that after such a long time 'a mole' hasnt come forward to say categorically X, Y Z clubs voted against us A, B and C abstained and make the voting common knowledge..

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
This thread takes you back, and just reminds us of where we’ve come from. It really is Roy of the Rovers stuff. Little old Brighton eh!!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I was thinking more in the Priestfield or late Goldstone days!

Was out of our league in those days, still banging them in for top flight Melchester Rovers :smile:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here