Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How different is your NSC persona from you in real life?

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Ah - a debate on existentialism could ensue. Excellent.

Not quite Existentialism, more pseudo-modernism c. 2006

From Wiki:

'...In 2006 the British scholar Alan Kirby formulated a socio-cultural assessment of post-postmodernism that he calls “pseudo-modernism.”[23] Kirby associates pseudo-modernism with the triteness and shallowness resulting from the instantaneous, direct, and superficial participation in culture made possible by the internet, mobile phones, interactive television and similar means: “In pseudo-modernism one phones, clicks, presses, surfs, chooses, moves, downloads.”[23]

Pseudo-modernism’s “typical intellectual states” are furthermore described as being “ignorance, fanaticism and anxiety” and it is said to produce a “trance-like state” in those participating in it. The net result of this media-induced shallowness and instantaneous participation in trivial events is a “silent autism” superseding “the neurosis of modernism and the narcissism of postmodernism.“ Kirby sees no aesthetically valuable works coming out of “pseudo-modernism.” As examples of its triteness he cites reality TV, interactive news programs, “the drivel found […] on some Wikipedia pages,” docu-soaps, and the essayistic cinema of Michael Moore or Morgan Spurlock.[23] In a book published in September 2009 titled Digimodernism: How New Technologies Dismantle the Postmodern and Reconfigure our Culture Kirby developed further and nuanced his views on culture and textuality in the aftermath of postmodernism...'

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
It depends. At work I'm quite a bit louder than I am either on NSC or at home. At home, I'm quite quiet and reserved (sometimes :) ). I also think more about what I'm saying on NSC and quite often go back and edit stuff out. I also find it more difficult to communicate via typing rather than talking.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'm probably more diplomatic in real life but other than that, much the same.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Quite chilled out as a person and not very out spoken either. Not sure how that compares on here ? Hopefully the same. Find it easier to talk to someone face to face really.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
I am spicy in real life and Spicy on here.:smile:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I am a c... on here but a totally different style of c... in real life.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I like oranges and blue christmas tree lights , did you know that Burton Albion have a 7 peice band on matchdays !

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Thank you very much. I wouldn't go as far as to call English my second language; it is still, by and large, a foreign language to me, but my admiration of your country's literature and friendship with a couple of your compatriots living in Poland are very useful in improving my command of this most beautiful and rich language.
Very impressed with your command of the English language but disappointed with the sentiments in your earlier post regarding testicular cancer. Think about what you've typed as some of us may be touched by this horrible disease!

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
There have been a few threads recently where I and others have been left wondering if some of the posters are posting as themselves or whether they have developed a new persona either for a specific thread or, in some instances, for all their NSC musing.

So, do you take the opportunity to portray a totally different persona on here to your real life persona? If so, does the anonymity afforded by t'interweb allow you to express thoughts/opinions that you genuinely hold but feel unable to express in real life, or is it all a big wind up? Or....what?

For me, how I am here is pretty much exactly how I am in real life. I save my alter ego for WoW. :shrug:

EDIT: Oh, I'm a bit more sweary irl.

This also depends on how much of an abstract medium posters consider it. this varies more than personas and is the real issue. I doubt any on here are able to work out how much of an abstract medium it should be.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Thank you very much. I wouldn't go as far as to call English my second language; it is still, by and large, a foreign language to me, but my admiration of your country's literature and friendship with a couple of your compatriots living in Poland are very useful in improving my command of this most beautiful and rich language.

Crikey I wish I had such a command of any foreign language, my missus is French and I struggle with it daily. You sir are a credit to polska! The love in between the pols and the Brits goes back a long way and I am glad you are part of it.

I am pretty much myself on nsc say it as I see it and as all thing don't post drunk... two infractions last time I did that!

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
What you see on the written page is what I'm like in real life.
To be honest I wasn't going to reply to this thread as I felt a bit of a jcl.
I would like to think I am subtlety sarcastic with posters I do not agree with - leaving them in complete turmoil as to whether to have a go back or not :mad:
With a few fellas on here they 'get' my sense of humour and we have great fun hijacking some of the more dubious threads.
I love NSC if only coz it upsets the Missus every minute I'm on here :laugh:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here