Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The way the fixtures are organised

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
People seem to forget that international breaks still happen in the Championship.

No, no I don't.

But Championship clubs have still played 17 league games to our 12. I didn't like the international breaks any more in the Championship either, but with more games, it did feel like there was more to get stuck into during the stop-start first few months of the season.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
On another tack, if we were 12th in t league and look on course to stay in th division on the 2nd January, would you like to see us treat the FA Cup with due respect and send out our first team to have a go at possibly winning it, or would you be happy to see the U23 team with a smattering of first teamers?

Unfortunately, no club 12th in this league in January is anywhere near safe due to the margins being so thin. You're only a short spell of bad results from being right in the thick of the relegation battle again.

That aside, I would absolutely LOVE to see us truly go for it in the Cup.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
The F1 season doesn't start until they come to Europe and in a way the prem is similar, nothing starts until late November. Also, these breaks are costing me too much. Another break in football so jumped on another plane to somewhere hotter.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
The timing has totally screwed Boxing Day family meals and I may also look to use the ticket exchange for the third time this year. 5:30 is a stupid time for everyone!
5.30 is an ideal time for ma as I can drive down from Devon at a sensible time now and drop the other half off in Littlehampton and go off to the game

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
On the one hand I miss the cut and thrust of the Championship and the regular midweek games we used to have. However I do enjoy the odd weekend "off" from the Albion now. I do also go to some England games though so I don't quite get a full break from the football.

My Albion mojo is probably down at a 6 out of 10 though. Just more chilled out about it now with are Premier League. If we go down it really wouldn't be the end of the world as the Championship is a great division. At the moment I am still doing close to all away games but I can see that dwindling off if we remain very mid table and soooo dull away from home. I went to everyone last season bar Everton, and have only missed Newcastle away so far this year but I wouldn't say I am enthusiastic about the football in the same way I was in the Championship. It's more a hobby of travelling round the country and enjoying the visits to places than actually going just for the football. I think that's partly why my England mojo is back.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
I posted in here ages ago that the best part is getting promoted
After that the reality comes in.
I'm sure our crowds dropped at The Goldstone after our last promotion ?

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Unfortunately, no club 12th in this league in January is anywhere near safe due to the margins being so thin. You're only a short spell of bad results from being right in the thick of the relegation battle again.

That aside, I would absolutely LOVE to see us truly go for it in the Cup.

I would also LOVE us to have a good go in the cup. However I have just booked a trip to Florida which flies out the day before the final. This will probably be our year because of this alone so I have gone large on us to reach the final to hopefully cover the cost of switching flights back two days for us!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
On the one hand I miss the cut and thrust of the Championship and the regular midweek games we used to have. However I do enjoy the odd weekend "off" from the Albion now. I do also go to some England games though so I don't quite get a full break from the football.

The Championship have the same weekends off that we do. They just have signifciantly more midweeks on than we do.

My Albion mojo is probably down at a 6 out of 10 though. Just more chilled out about it now with are Premier League. If we go down it really wouldn't be the end of the world as the Championship is a great division. At the moment I am still doing close to all away games but I can see that dwindling off if we remain very mid table and soooo dull away from home. I went to everyone last season bar Everton, and have only missed Newcastle away so far this year but I wouldn't say I am enthusiastic about the football in the same way I was in the Championship. It's more a hobby of travelling round the country and enjoying the visits to places than actually going just for the football. I think that's partly why my England mojo is back.

I've become full on bad-fan, for sure. In the Championship I didn't have the option of walking 5 minutes down the road to watch our away games on big screens in a pub full of other Albion fans. There is little compelling me to travel right now. My fixture radar only extends to Leicester next weekend - I have no idea what is coming up after that, although I now know when Bournemouth and West Ham are, after yesterday morning's ticket excitement.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The Championship have the same weekends off that we do. They just have signifciantly more midweeks on than we do.

I've become full on bad-fan, for sure. In the Championship I didn't have the option of walking 5 minutes down the road to watch our away games on big screens in a pub full of other Albion fans. There is little compelling me to travel right now. My fixture radar only extends to Leicester next weekend - I have no idea what is coming up after that, although I now know when Bournemouth and West Ham are, after yesterday morning's ticket excitement.

Yes indeed, but I quite enjoy a friday night home game that also gives you the feeling of a weekend off, and we have had the odd Monday too. Missing Everton away last season was compensated by watching it on a stream and then just being able to get on with the weekend and not suffer the trip home. I think that is the way I will be heading in seasons to come. Agree on the fixture radar. Couldn't tell you what order the next fixtures are but know we have got Burnley, Huddersfield, Leicester and Arsenal coming up. Just don't know when.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
This is UNARGUABLY set to be the least "exciting" season we have have had for several years.

I agree with all comments about not enough games and then usually not much fun watching MOTD.

The bar is set pretty high though so I don't think anyone should be complaining and most games at The Amex are still great occasions.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Blimey, what a load of moaning minnies we've become already.

Personally I'm very much enjoying the fact that we are one of the 20 best teams in the country. The games against the big boys is a chance (albeit small) of claiming a scalp, as we did against Man U twice, and Arsenal. Those games were truly memorable. I've also LOVED seeing players of the sheer calibre of Willian, Hazard, Aguero, De Bruyne and Countinho up close - if you don't enjoy watching world class players like that live, then I don't know why you'd bother with football, even if they did basically tear us a new one.

The games against the bottom-feeders of this league have an added tension, as points against them are always much more valuable than the bonus ones you occasionally pick up unexpectedly against the top 6. Denying them the points is just as important as gaining them. Pretty much every game is an 'event' in this league for different reasons IMO, and yes we're often going to have our backs to the wall, but that can be tense and engrossing too, as we know every point is so important for us.

Yup, International breaks are a pain, but it certainly doesn't detract from the spectacle of seeing my team competing at this level. I love it.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Why should people be upset about defensive football? Defending is part of football too, do people think Dunk and Ryan are less important than Murray and Knockaert?

When I played, I was a full back and I love watching quality defending - and the Albion are pretty good at it. Don't moan about defensive football, it's a real skill

Each to his own, defensive football bores me to death.

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
Well there you have it, NEWS FLASH: 'Everyone has different tastes shocker'.

For me the excitement of the Championship has been replaced by the excitement of beating a 'Big' team, however rarely that happens.

I appreciate the skills of defensive football but must admit I yearn for a more attacking approach by Chris (don't expect it in most games though).

Luckily I've only missed one away game which means I do get to see the Albion play (defensively) most weeks. Like others have said, I do not like the big gaps between games in this part of the season.
One thing I do on away trips now is take in the local culture and attractions on offer rather than just go to see the game and return immediately, but I appreciate that I'm lucky that I have the time to do that, wheras some may not.

Overall I'm pleased and appreciate that we're in the Premier League, I would just like to see us develop into a more balanced team around defence and attack, is that too much to ask?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I’m proud of our PL status. They might not be the most skilful team in the league but you can’t fault them for effort.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Go into every cup match with that attitude, which we do, and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Nowadays we just treat cup games as an opportunity to throw a bone to the reserves.

That said we did reach the quarter finals last year for the first time since 1986.

I'd like to think that if we did the same this year we would put out a stronger team and give it more of a go though. It was the Quarter Final of the FA Cup and we played Krul in goal and Locadia up front! Disappointing.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
That said we did reach the quarter finals last year for the first time since 1986.

I'd like to think that if we did the same this year we would put out a stronger team and give it more of a go though. It was the Quarter Final of the FA Cup and we played Krul in goal and Locadia up front! Disappointing.

Thing is, at what point do you ditch the sub-prime players that got you that far? Semi-final? Final? At what point do you introduce the club's strongest side? And what does that do to squad morale? Club have never taken cup competitions seriously in recent years, even last year IMHO. And yet we still bang on about 1983 and The Magic Of The Cup. Reckon the vast majority of the fanbase would prefer the club to give it a proper go, rather than use it as an excuse to give the reserves a run-out and give the PL players a breather. Like most of them don't get enough of those aleady with the interminable international breaks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here