Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Parking Charge Asda Marina

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
But the parking limit includes the multi-storey too - that makes no sense. I can understand why the Asda car park has a limit, but not the multi-storey

There is no limit in the multi storey on level 2 just us you get to the up ramp directly in front of you is a fiat punto, been there over a year, all tyre flat, black as the ace of spares yet still no tickets on it.

boik

Yes it is you. These private parking leeches are there to extort money from people by imposing massive fines for minor infringements. They make money from the fines, so they will make the signage as obscure and invisible as possible in the hope they can entrap people whilst remaining just on the right side of the rules (they hope). If you think its acceptable to issue fines for £80 - £120 for staying 5 mins over a limit that you didn't necessarily know existed, then please go ahead and pay. Others choose to fight the injustice of it.

Ah right then, so we can all park where we like because these people are nasty. Or do we just obey the rules when the fines aren't so massive, say £30 or maybe £40. It's very confusing!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well there ya go then.

I didn't actually realise it was a 4 hour limit tbh, but as you say, can't see me ever wanting or needing to stay longer than that. Unless I'm seeing a Lord of the Rings type EPIC, plus scoffage.
I take it then the Marina is still an incredibly shitehouse version of Gun Wharf Quay.

How depressing to know #twats can do something right.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
As a side note but still parking related, i appealed a council ticket last September online re the bay being metered bay or resident bay, and got a page saying they would be back in touch when the have reviewed the details but to date 5 months later still not heard back from them, do i keep stum ? or do i contact then again?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I take it then the Marina is still an incredibly shitehouse version of Gun Wharf Quay.

How depressing to know #twats can do something right.

Dunno about shithouse, but the Marina is a bit "meh" I s'pose. Certainly not a patch on Gunwharf, and the new apartments certainly won't do anything to improve it.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
As a side note but still parking related, i appealed a council ticket last September online re the bay being metered bay or resident bay, and got a page saying they would be back in touch when the have reviewed the details but to date 5 months later still not heard back from them, do i keep stum ? or do i contact then again?

I appealed a ticket from mid August and got a reply about 3 weeks ago. They seem to have a huge backlog. Mine was cancelled on a pretty weak appeal (I used it more as a sounding board to complain about the exessive cost of hiring football pitches and how annoying it was they were targeting people using those extortionately priced pitches on a Sunday morning). Mine was expunged. I didn't chase them.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Well given you're the idiot that suggests you should pay private tickets because 'you've done something wrong' I'd suggest you stop being such a hypocrite and just bloody pay up .... or are the rules different for you ?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Ah right then, so we can all park where we like because these people are nasty. Or do we just obey the rules when the fines aren't so massive, say £30 or maybe £40. It's very confusing!

I guess you pay Nigerian email demands then ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Dunno about shithouse, but the Marina is a bit "meh" I s'pose. Certainly not a patch on Gunwharf, and the new apartments certainly won't do anything to improve it.
I've only been once, and that was yonks ago. :smile:

I had no desire to return then and haven't seen or heard anything about it since to make me give it another go.

GWQ must generate Portsmouth a pooh load of cash,

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Well given you're the idiot that suggests you should pay private tickets because 'you've done something wrong' I'd suggest you stop being such a hypocrite and just bloody pay up .... or are the rules different for you ?

Not at all, if they deem i was in the wrong then i will pay up, i have no problem with that and agree if people are in the wrong they should pay, not bleat "its only an invoice so although i broke the rules i still dont have to pay etc etc" regardless if it morally wrong, but i can't until the appeal process is completed. So my question was should i be calling them, if so who do i call (i don't have the original ticket anymore)

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Not at all, if they deem i was in the wrong then i will pay up, i have no problem with that and agree if people are in the wrong they should pay, not bleat "its only an invoice so although i broke the rules i still dont have to pay etc etc regardless if it morally wrong, but i can't until the appeal process is completed. So my question was should i be calling them, if so who do i call (i don't have the original ticket anymore)

So were you in the wrong ? It's generally quite obvious if it's a resident spot.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've only been once, and that was yonks ago. :smile:

I had no desire to return then and haven't seen or heard anything about it since to make me give it another go.

GWQ must generate Portsmouth a pooh load of cash,

Last time I went to see us play in front of the best fans in the world (c) I stayed on the train an extra couple of stops and went for my pre-match drinkies and a spot of lunch at Gunwharf, in that Customs House pub. Pleasantly civilised, and INFINITELY preferable to drinking anywhere near that tragic hovel around Fratton.

I'd say Gunwharf is definitely worth a day trip to. I wouldn't bother with the Marina if I wasn't local though.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Last time I went to see us play in front of the best fans in the world (c) I stayed on the train an extra couple of stops and went for my pre-match drinkies and a spot of lunch at Gunwharf, in that Customs House pub. Pleasantly civilised, and INFINITELY preferable to drinking anywhere near that tragic hovel around Fratton.

I'd say Gunwharf is definitely worth a day trip to. I wouldn't bother with the Marina if I wasn't local though.

We don't go to GWQ that often, 2 or 3 times a year, but every time we do not only is it heaving with people, but there seems to always be new luxury apartments being built.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
This does appear to be the case - friend of mine parks in the multi storey all day Monday to Friday as he works in the hotel and has never had a ticket or a pass to park. It says 4hrs but I've been there too on many occasions for a couple of movies back to back and stayed well beyond 4 hours and never had a problem.

I know this may not be relevant to most on here, but if parking at the Cineworld in Chichester - the 4hr limit is camera controlled by registering your number plate. You can add an additional 2 hours at the cinema or if you visit one of the restaurants there but I can confirm this time limit at Chichester is enforced. I got a ticket (£60) to prove it a few months ago when they installed cameras (previously it was just like the marina - a 4 hour limit that was not enforced) - it is now!

As a resident, may I confirm that, although the multi-storey's signs clearly state the limit is 4 hours, it is never actually enforced. Ever. Or even patrolled by wardens. Marina businesses are far too desperate for takings to go supporting parking restrictions.

All that may change by July, when the new residential blocks are completed. And once that 40-storey tower goes up... it's anyone's guess.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Apologies the answer was a tad brief but I'm busy today. If your son needs further help I'm happy to provide it - just PM me. There's a few posters on here who can confirm my ability to get these gone !

I can attest to that....My daughter had a 'ticket' a few months ago, and after following your advice the parking company were never heard from again

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
So were you in the wrong ? It's generally quite obvious if it's a resident spot.

generally it is but in this case it wasn't.
If it was then i'm guilty as charged and i'll happily pay, i wasn't sure and nor was the warden that issued it. but did so anyway ! and advised to appeal with the photos, so i did and still awaiting the decision, you have driven us away form my original question.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
[MENTION=1694]shingle[/MENTION] I had a similar incident at Morrisons in Crawley. Rather than bother getting into wrangles with the parking company, try emailing Asda head office. I outlined my situation and asked them to contact the parking company to rescind the charge as a gesture of goodwill and they did. I'd be very surprised if Asda didn't do this bearing in mind the small amount of time you overstayed.

Philbag70

Dec 19, 2015
Battle, 1066 country
Do not pay Smart Parking.
They harassed me for about 8 months because i'd overstayed my time limit at Asda/Marina. I was having engine trouble and couldn't get out of the car park until 11 minutes after my time expired. I explained this to them but they refused to back down. So i dug my heels in and asked why should i pay £70 when i wasn't 'parked'. I was broken down and attempting to leave. They responded by upping the charge to £120. When i refused to pay, they ( unbelievably ) sent a demand to the previous owner of the vehicle ( who happens to be a family member, hence i know this happened! ) Eventually, they just gave up.
Dodgy bunch, at best

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Your son should appeal using a template from MSE ( google MSE Smart Parking ). It will get rejected and he should then appeal to POPLA. At the same time he should have a go at Asda. Good news is that Smart have never done court - so he could just ignore it but I'd recommend doing the appeals. What he shouldn't do is pay it.

It is quite clear that the Asda Car Park has a limit to ensure that their customers are able to find a parking spot,the Multi Storey also has a limit but i think it is only enforced in peak periods

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here