Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] “It was deafening at times”

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I had the BBC 5 Live commentary on and they said something about their suprise at the Albion fans clapping the team off at half time. I was delighted to hear that, so many pundits quick to write us off and be critical but good to see our fans are realistic with their expectation and all pulling in the same direction.

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
Don't know how many we gave them, but according to the club's twitter they brought 2,958.

Pretty impressive given the distance and the time. Sky have been shocking to us this season, away trips to yourselves, Swansea and Southampton moved to Sundays, just for tv audiences.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Pretty impressive given the distance and the time. Sky have been shocking to us this season, away trips to yourselves, Swansea and Southampton moved to Sundays, just for tv audiences.

Agreed.

They genuinely do not give a ****.

Though I'd suggest a fair % of those 2,958 did not travel from Newcastle yesterday, given the very-obviously-not-Geordie accents I heard walking through a few groups of them round the ground. It will be taken as such, by some (I'm looking at you, Leeds United) but that is genuinely not a dig - both big clubs who have attracted support from all areas of the country, over the years.

Reagulls

Jul 22, 2013
Palace do seem to be finally learning what true football fans really want though. I mean: I've not heard that embarrassing goal music once this season.
If only I could give you more than one thumbs up for that, one from me and one from my girlfriend who spat out her tea when I read it out to her :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Palace do seem to be finally learning what true football fans really want though. I mean: I've not heard that embarrassing goal music once this season.
[emoji23]

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
Agreed.

Though I'd suggest a fair % of those 2,958 did not travel from Newcastle yesterday, given the very-obviously-not-Geordie accents I heard walking through a few groups of them round the ground. It will be taken as such, by some (I'm looking at you, Leeds United) but that is genuinely not a dig - both big clubs who have attracted support from all areas of the country, over the years.

Oh there's definitely a decent number of exiled Geordies in London, I used to be one myself. Lived there 7 years until I wanted to buy a house and realised for the price of a 1 bed flat I can could be part of the landed gentry up North.

Feel for the lads who travelled to the Liberty Stadium on a Sunday though: 1) it's a long way from everywhere including other places in Wales, 2) it was a pretty uninspiring game and 3) before and after the game they had to mill around Swansea of all places.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Oh there's definitely a decent number of exiled Geordies in London, I used to be one myself. Lived there 7 years until I wanted to buy a house and realised for the price of a 1 bed flat I can could be part of the landed gentry up North.

Feel for the lads who travelled to the Liberty Stadium on a Sunday though: 1) it's a long way from everywhere including other places in Wales, 2) it was a pretty uninspiring game and 3) before and after the game they had to mill around Swansea of all places.

Shouldn't be on anyone's bucket list that's for sure.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Agreed.

Though I'd suggest a fair % of those 2,958 did not travel from Newcastle yesterday, given the very-obviously-not-Geordie accents I heard walking through a few groups of them round the ground.

I know six people who support Newcastle - only two of them are from there. The other four are all southerners. The one kid at school who supported Newcastle was a Brightonian. Fair play though: you can't accuse them of being glory hunters

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
Shouldn't be on anyone's bucket list that's for sure.

Away days are great if you've never been there before, it's a cathedral of a stadium and/or the place is a good night out. That's why I Championship so much fun.

Swansea ticks none of those for me. Identikit plastic stadium, parochial town filled with wannabe hardmen and horrific lasses, hours away from civilisation on the train. (It's quicker, and takes fewer trains to get from Newcastle to Paris than it does to get to Swansea.)

Same criticisms for Burnley, Stoke, Middlesbrough, Sunderland and so on.

We might be miles away from everyone, but by Christ we've an impressive stadium and a brilliant night out.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Nice comment from Newcastle supporter Julio Geordio in today’s Guardian

“Special mention to the Brighton fans in and around the ground, who were excellent throughout the day. It was fairly common to find such friendly and accommodating hosts at Championship level - step forward Burton fans - but in the Premier League it's certainly a much rarer phenomenon. Keep doing what you're doing, folks”

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Away days are great if you've never been there before, it's a cathedral of a stadium and/or the place is a good night out. That's why I Championship so much fun.

Swansea ticks none of those for me. Identikit plastic stadium, parochial town filled with wannabe hardmen and horrific lasses, hours away from civilisation on the train. (It's quicker, and takes fewer trains to get from Newcastle to Paris than it does to get to Swansea.)

Same criticisms for Burnley, Stoke, Middlesbrough, Sunderland and so on.

We might be miles away from everyone, but by Christ we've an impressive stadium and a brilliant night out.

Yep, looking forward to it at the end of the year. Incidentally, do you still stick us up in the heavens or where do you put the away fans now with the new ruling?

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Constantly amazed how quiet home fans are at away games - Watford was a morgue. Villa was shocking until the very end of the game when they scored. I've even noticed away fans at the Amex seem quieter (bar Leeds).
The Amex was seriously quiet until very recently

Nice comment from Newcastle supporter Julio Geordio in today’s Guardian

“Special mention to the Brighton fans in and around the ground, who were excellent throughout the day. It was fairly common to find such friendly and accommodating hosts at Championship level - step forward Burton fans - but in the Premier League it's certainly a much rarer phenomenon. Keep doing what you're doing, folks”

So he wasn't the Newcastle fan that got beer thrown over him after the game????

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here