Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Britain has.
Cheerio.

Jingoistic, meaningless sentiment like this is the exact reason we shouldn't hold referendums. They are the reserve of fascists and dictators and they have no place in a modern Britain.

Millions of Scots were disenfranchised, leading to one of the most undemocratic referendums in history.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You do talk some tripe

In March 1975 Margaret Thatcher described referendum as “a device of dictators and demagogues”. Thatcher was quoting Clement Attlee who noticed that Hitler, Mussolini and Napoleon III used referendum to legitimise decisions they had made. If we just look at referendum before Wordl War II we can see how Mussolini and Hitler used them to their advantage.

March 1929 – Italy approves single-party list for Mussolini’s National Fascist Party in referendum.
July 1933 – Hitler grants himself the power to hold referendums.
November 1933 – Germans vote to leave the League of Nations in referendum.
March 1934 – Italians confirm approval of single-party list for Mussolini’s National Fascist Party in referendum.
August 1934 – Germans approve combining posts of Chancellor & President in referendum.
March 1936 – Germany approve single-party rule & occupation of Rhineland in referendum.
April 1938 – Germans approve single list of Nazi candidates for Reichstag & Anschluss with Austria in referendum.
More recently in 2014 Russia used a referendum to legitimise the annexation of Crimea

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I see gobshite Geldof made a fool of himself at a corporate city do conference at Heathrow. A shit Brexit speech. See the comments. I wonder how Geldof made his 30+ milions from a couple of average records. Give us the live aid receipts "Sir" Bob.

Well done looks like your well known copy and paste skills have let you down today 'see comments'

I'm looking but will probably find Wally first.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No, our victory is to leave the EU. True, we're still waiting for Article 50 to be triggered, but that shouldn't be long now! Wonderful days!

What happens if the EU ultimately causes the economy to tank though? Would you be happy? I appreciate the sovereignty argument but if you are left without an economic pot to piss in what then? Like it or not victory will be measured economically. You might be in control of your own destiny but if you can't afford to put petrol in the car you're not going anywhere.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
"Lack of understanding of basic English"....your English is not so hot is it.

I see gobshite Geldof made a fool of himself at a corporate city do conference at Heathrow. A shit Brexit speech. See the comments. I wonder how Geldof made his 30+ milions from a couple of average records. Give us the live aid receipts "Sir" Bob.

Good to see you have been able to pull yourself up

'milions' indeed who stole your second 'l'

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well done looks like your well known copy and paste skills have let you down today 'see comments'

I'm looking but will probably find Wally first.

Lol. Very funny. See the comments!

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I think you need to wait and see the outcome of the negotiations before you can say you've won.

The clock ticking on a process that can be derailed by any one of 27 nations who's need for a deal is less urgent than ours; building new deals with countries outside the EU who are not subject to the same time pressures and in an atmosphere of increased protectionism. In case this wasn't good enough.....I give you the political giants that are Johnson and Davies.

I know that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit but without the Kool Aid I can't see how anyone can see us as being in a position of relative strength.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
This full article explains what is wrong with referendums and also questions why such a huge fundamental changing of the constitution, ie referendums not being legally binding to becoming binding and also goes some way to explaining why the general public are really not qualified to vote on something like Brexit and indeed why it basically absolves politicians of any responsibility. https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.conversion-uplift.co.uk/brexit-referendum-and-democracy/amp/

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
What happens if the EU ultimately causes the economy to tank though? Would you be happy? I appreciate the sovereignty argument but if you are left without an economic pot to piss in what then? Like it or not victory will be measured economically. You might be in control of your own destiny but if you can't afford to put petrol in the car you're not going anywhere.
Whole load of 'what ifs' in those thoughts. A man can worry himself to death with what ifs; I shan't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here