Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
My pension is with Abbey Life, I'm sure they will still get their annual cut, it was worth £32,000 at May 31st, i'm not optimistic it will grow much before I retire in about 12 years time.

I would assume it's in a low risk products (and low reward) with Abbey Life creaming off charges for doing virtually nothing, so you are probably right that it will not grow much. You always have the option (you should have, anyway) of transferring to a self-managed SIPP and investing it in products that are likely to generate higher returns whilst reducing the charges.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I deal with a number of people from Barnsley through my Gundog training and working with the dogs. To a man (and woman) they are the most insular racist people I have ever had the misfortune to meet. If I had a choice of wiping one town off the map in the UK it would be Barnsley (with Burnley in a good second place).

One of my regular customers is a retiree from Barnsley, he's a lovely bloke, however he spoke to his brother in Barnsley and was told that yesterday Barnsley folk were celebrating like we'd won the world cup

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Fair comment.

I'd expect to see a Swiss style agreement covering free trade, paying into the EU budget and free movement of labour as the final settlement........which doesn't address the issue of migration that caused so many to vote leave.

The Sun in it's triumphalist nonsense has said the economy will be better off.....the person they interviewed is from the London Institute of Banking and Finance, a Russian owned private college that has no degree awarding powers and only exists to relieve gullible foreigners and locals of their cash.
Switzerland is in Schengen so it'll need to be slighly different as we need to stay out of that.

However, Eire is a full EU member and outside Schengen, so it should be possible to do this deal.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Totally agree with opening poster. That's why I voted leave. I have had 40 years of gradually giving up more and more of our country and I wanted it back. We should make our own laws, chose what we want to do not be governed by Brussels. That's it in a nutshell.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by leaving with less than we started!

Less car manufactures less steal works less factories less industry was my reasoning

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
One of the reasons it was set up was to to stop Europe ripping it up a third time.

Seems to have worked quite well don't you think?

Would that still have happened without the EU seeing as there are nations armed with nuclear bombs in Europe? Would the Germans have invaded France (a nuclear armed country) for a 3rd time or is the only thing that prevented it is the existence of the EU? - or is this point a bit like selling someone In Brighton a rock / pebble and saying that this rock / pebble is the thing that's preventing a volcano from forming in Sussex?

Yugoslavia had a civil war and ended up splitting into several countries, despite the existence of the EU, pretty sure they are located in Europe. - why wasn't that prevented?

Technohead

Aug 10, 2013
Burgess Hill
One of my work colleagues quite seriously said she was fed up with the EU changing the branding of our products such as Opal Fruits to Starbursts, Marathon to Snickers and Oil of Ulay to Oil of Olay. There was absolutely no convincing otherwise.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I assume it's a new sort of association with the EU - details to be determined.

Leave voters are in 2 camps ( some in both ). The anti-immigration Farage camp, and the Supremacy of British Law Boris camp.

I suspect 1 camp will be happy and the other camp sad in the end.

I don't see why a solution to please both could not be sorted out. It is not as if Farage wants to end immigration, just restrict it. You could, I suppose, have restrictions on those people that want to settle in the UK - they must have a job or enough income to support themselves for example, much like the restrictions in place in non-EU countries. Brits would have similar restrictions imposed on them if they want to go and retire in Spain, for example (they may already do?). A solution is not insurmountable, but it depends of course on how flexible the EU will be - my view is the EU will have to dramatically change or it will slowly implode.

Blazing Apostle

Jul 30, 2011
You little Englanders will have to answer for the mess this country is going to be in for the foreseeable future - that you are STILL harking back to WW2 70 years later shows you are stuck in the past where a majority of us were looking to the future. The youth of today will not forgive what you fools have done

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Its taken 8 years for the FTSE to get back to 2008 levels and it rose on a pro Europe vote speculation, we now slide back down the snake again.... the stockbrokers will still make money on trades and keep just ahead but I won't... my pension fund managers get a fixed amount from me every year for " looking after " my money and now we have huge uncertainty so, where do you think the market will go and who will it benefit ? not me for sure.

I'm not going to give you any advice on investing your pension but you don't have to be constrained by the performance of the FTSE. For example, an investment in the Old Mutual UK Smaller Companies Equity Fund has delivered 74.01% return over the past 5 years and 36.93% over the past 3 years, and that includes a fall of 8.39% yesterday!

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Yep, clearly a fanatical Europhile. Lose a vote, have another one - and keep having more until you get a result.

Just a view of what might happen. Perfectly plausible. If an election is held before we exit or invoke our exit and a government is elected on a mandate to stay in the eu then, well, we will stay in the eu. Lets see how this pans out

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I don't see why a solution to please both could not be sorted out. It is not as if Farage wants to end immigration.

What concerns me more than anything is why a dunce MEP, backing a solution that costs him his job has such an opinion people actually wanted to listen to.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Just remember that there are still many of the population around who were conned in to voting this country into the EU in the first place. It was a vote to enter a common market with no mention of sovereignty or law making.being handed over to this beaurocratic dictatorship.
Just remember there are many still alive who lost relatives in the war. Many of those killed were just teenagers . my great aunt lost both her young sons.,Tthese men and boys. British, Irish, Polish, Indian, Canadians and French resistance thought they were fighting to save sovereignty and democracy and it was appaling that what they died for was for nothing as power was just handed over anyway.
So maybe you should be disgusted and ashamed - with yourselves.

You don't understand sovereignty as a concept do you. Ignorance wins again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here