Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

so who will replace baldock in the 18 then.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Has Hambo scored any goals?

I'm not sure but the answer is probably no. However, he's not had many minutes either. From what I saw against West Ham U21, he could develop into a Championship level 'Andy Carroll' (with the same injury issues). Maybe good to throw on if we need a goal in the last 10 and want to start playing hoof-ball Burnley style.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not directly. But Sidwell has done the square route of cuff-all since he came back on loan. Crofts was MIGHTILY macked off at losing his place to him, and I can absolutely see why.

Even with the is bad games of Sidwell as most on here say he is still a far better bet than Crofts and is obvikusly doing what CH tells him as he still gets in the squad and used.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Calde is versatile, that said we have a full back a centre back and two wingers/ forwards and a holding midfielder on the bench so I'm not sure how Calde would get on the pitch, but he would always be ready to do whatever was needed for the team.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Good. It was shown by someone that we do well with Sidwell. [MENTION=12595]Acker79[/MENTION] ?
Somehow or another, a silly idea is spreading that he causes us to lose points, which is not true.

....along with the silly idea that it's witty or clever to spell our manager's name incorrectly!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I have been wondering whether Hughton would revert to Bong at LB and Rosenior at right midfield tonight.

Not to start. Need to stick with Knocky and Murphy. However, if CH wishes to shut up shop for twenty minutes, I'd rather Rosenior being used for that than Sidwell.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
I'm not sure but the answer is probably no. However, he's not had many minutes either. From what I saw against West Ham U21, he could develop into a Championship level 'Andy Carroll' (with the same injury issues). Maybe good to throw on if we need a goal in the last 10 and want to start playing hoof-ball Burnley style.

He certainly seems physical enough. Perhaps a little more acrobatic than Hemed but also big enough to hold the ball up ???

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Even with the is bad games of Sidwell as most on here say he is still a far better bet than Crofts and is obvikusly doing what CH tells him as he still gets in the squad and used.

WAS far better than Crofts.

I appreciate Crofts has not been the same player either this season following all his injuries, but he has not been as shockingly poor as Sidwell when he's been given his chance from the bench. And if there are two players of similar ability vying for the same position in the squad/team, then I'd opt for the one who's NOT here on loan, every time.

I was very happy to have Sidwell back when it was announced, but its not worked. OK, his chances have been limited (and always will be as long as Kayal and Stephens are fit), but he's been very disappointing whenever he's been given a chance. He had an absolute shocker at Cardiff (binned at half time) and has contributed nothing from the bench in any game I've seen.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

He most certainly is not!

Crofts over Sidwell every time. Playing well for the Gills apparently, so is AEA who they really like.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Not to start. Need to stick with Knocky and Murphy. However, if CH wishes to shut up shop for twenty minutes, I'd rather Rosenior being used for that than Sidwell.

Knockeart is brilliant at the Amex, but doesn't seem to be able to find the same form away. It wouldn't surprise me if Rosenior started on the right.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
WAS far better than Crofts.

I appreciate Crofts has not been the same player either this season following all his injuries, but he has not been as shockingly poor as Sidwell when he's been given his chance from the bench. And if there are two players of similar ability vying for the same position in the squad/team, then I'd opt for the one who's NOT here on loan, every time.

I was very happy to have Sidwell back when it was announced, but its not worked. OK, his chances have been limited (and always will be as long as Kayal and Stephens are fit), but he's been very disappointing whenever he's been given a chance. He had an absolute shocker at Cardiff (binned at half time) and has contributed nothing from the bench in any game I've seen.
Agree with most of that, except the assumption that loanees are automatically worse than non-loanees. Sidwell was an excellent player - and Crofty wasn't half bad either. Trouble is, neither of them is the player they were. Thankfully, now that Bong is now back and available (even if not quite up to speed yet) we can use Rosenior to bulk up the midfield if we go defensive towards the end of the game.
Bit worried though that with both Sidwell and Crofty struggling, Towell still didn't seem to be anywhere near.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Agree with most of that, except the assumption that loanees are automatically worse than non-loanees. Sidwell was an excellent player - and Crofty wasn't half bad either. Trouble is, neither of them is the player they were. Thankfully, now that Bong is now back and available (even if not quite up to speed yet) we can use Rosenior to bulk up the midfield if we go defensive towards the end of the game.
Bit worried though that with both Sidwell and Crofty struggling, Towell still didn't seem to be anywhere near.

I admit I do have a somewhat jaundiced view of loan players, because on balance, I think we see far more bad than good. There are always some notable exceptions of course (Bridge and Upson), but on the whole, I think you end up with a player not fully committed to the cause who will often just be going through the motions - which is the bracket I'd put Sidwell in.

I recognise they are a necessary evil though. We'd be even more stuffed for strikers tonight otherwise.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Manu was bought for speed upfront in a poor replacement for Buckley. It would be unbelievable if Elvis comes on and stays onside.

EFA :dunce:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yes, that is a bit of a worry - is he a homer? Anyway, I'd still like him to start tonight.

I think Knockaert could be a bit of a Paul Brooker. Bags of talent, but a bit lightweight and goes into his shell during the winter months. However, get the SUN on their backs and then just watch them go. Brooker always blossomed in the Spring. Should've called him Daffodil.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I think Knockaert could be a bit of a Paul Brooker. Bags of talent, but a bit lightweight and goes into his shell during the winter months. However, get the SUN on their backs and then just watch them go. Brooker always blossomed in the Spring. Should've called him Daffodil.

You could say that about the entire Brighton team over the past 5 seasons. Just look at our results in the late summer and spring months in comparison to November-Feb!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You could say that about the entire Brighton team over the past 5 seasons. Just look at our results in the late summer and spring months in comparison to November-Feb!

Its a fair point.

I guess in years gone by we had the Oatways, Cullips Carpenters, Morgans, OGH's and, er, Butter-ers who RELISHED a rattling good battle played on a freezing cold swamp. Now though...we're all a bit namby pamby la-de-dah with our undersoil heating, semi-synthetic pitch and padded leather recliners.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull

Good job we are where we are with sunshine on the way for the final push

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here