Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Connor Goldson signs on a 4-year deal

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I am a bit annoyed that you've got him so cheaply.
Brighton sold Elphick and Cook to Bournemouth for less.[/QUOTE]

Elphick, even if fit, was fourth/fifth choice centre half at the time behind Greer, Upson, El Abd and maybe even Dunk. Cook was behind Elphick and maybe played a total of six games for us including sub appearances. When and where were either ever going to get a game if they'd stayed at BHA?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Not happy with this signing. I really think we should have held out for Mark Hudson of Huddersfield :(

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Godson and Dunk is what it should be.
Greer will be finished before the end of the season with his knees.
So we keep an ageing defender and let Dunk go.
We will be asking ourselves the same questions as now having let Elphick, Cook and Hall go.

I agree.. But it won't happen!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Brighton sold Elphick and Cook to Bournemouth for less.[/QUOTE]

Really? I thought they went for around hmthe same (500k) maybe slightly more - literally can't remember, although I assume they were undisclosed so we didn't know for definite,

Brighton sold Elphick and Cook to Bournemouth for less.

How much did you get for both of them?

It could be worse, we released £9 million Andre Gray as "he was not good enough" and Premier League Marc Pugh for the same reason. At least we have got something for Goldson.........[/QUOTE]

Happens to all clubs mate I'm afraid. Part of football. And some players excel at different clubs. Didnt Man Utd have that Pique at one point before flogging him cheap to Barcelona..!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
If we get this guy in for under one million and get over 5 for Dunk (if he is indeed off and this isn't just another addition) and we use some of that money to secure a striker and a winger then that will represent excellent business by the club - as sad as it is to see a Brighton lad go

100% agree with this. Looks like a good signing here, get the two other positions filled as you say and I think this season we truly hit the ground running and can put the woefully inadequate squad of last season behind us.
Exciting times:)

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Brighton sold Elphick and Cook to Bournemouth for less.

Elphick, even if fit, was fourth/fifth choice centre half at the time behind Greer, Upson, El Abd and maybe even Dunk. Cook was behind Elphick and maybe played a total of six games for us including sub appearances. When and where were either ever going to get a game if they'd stayed at BHA?[/QUOTE]

There is also a very very healthy sell on clause indeed on Cook which should pay handsome dividends if he does well this season in the premier.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Very reliable.

I've spoken to a few people and it's pretty safe to say it's 500k deal altogether plus a small sell on clause.

Puts me in a bit of a quandary now.

Should I feel elated that we've now got a recruitment team that can spot a good buy and drive a damn hard bargain, or should I feel slightly ashamed that we might have ripped off a perfectly decent little club like Shrewsbury ('Little' in no way intended as derogatory, BTW).

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Fee is 250k initial payment then 125k on 20 Appearences, and another 125 on 40

10% sell on clause

Poster seems quite reliable

Less than others have suggested but not unrealistic.
Look forward to the pre-season friendly @ Shrewsbury next year.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now

Should I feel elated that we've now got a recruitment team that can spot a good buy and drive a damn hard bargain, or should I feel slightly ashamed that we might have ripped off a perfectly decent little club like Shrewsbury ('Little' in no way intended as derogatory, BTW).
Shrewsbury were obviously happy with the fee or it wouldn't have been agreed, so I for one do not feel like we have ripped them off.

Seems like everyone is happy with the deal.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

We haven't ripped anyone off.

On young upcoming talents that's where sell on clauses and/or appearance fee rises come into their own. Same with us and Cooky when he went. It's a win win scenario in these cases. Cheap gamble for buying club if potential isn't reached, recompense for selling club if potential is fulfilled, and opportunity for the young player to progress in the right way rather than be held back or rot in the reserves/loan market if a big club snaps them up for silly money before they're ready.
This is exactly why the Cook move was so right for all parties.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Excellent addition. So pleased to see how much better recruitment is. Someone like CG wouldn't have been on Burke's wayward radar in a million years.

Also looks like CH is a man with a long term plan. This season we needed leadership, physicality and guile and I think we have all of those with the added bonus of longevity in many of our purchases. Loving it.

[emoji106]

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
IN

Uwe Hunemeier: (Paderborn, £1.75mil)
Jack Harper: (Real Madrid, undisclosed)
Vahid Hambo: (Inter Turku, undisclosed)
Tomer Hemed: (Almeria, undisclosed)
Joe Ward: (Chelmsford City, undisclosed)
Bobby Zamora: (QPR, free)
Niki Maenpaa: (VVV Venlo, free)
Gaetan Bong: (unattached, free)
Liam Rosenior: (Hull, free)
Connor Goldson (Shrewsbury, undisclosed)
Jamie Murhpy ( Sheff Utd, £1.5m approx)

Out:

Christian Walton: (Bury, loan)
Craig Mackail-Smith: (released)
Aaron Hughes: (released)
Paddy McCourt: (released)
Vatalijs Maksimenko: (released)
Kemy Agustien: (released)

and yet the club hasn't made any more money available this summer compared to a year ago...

...Honest.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
There is also a very very healthy sell on clause indeed on Cook which should pay handsome dividends if he does well this season in the premier.

I keep reading about this mythical sell-on fee that we have on Cook, but nobody has ever been able to provide me with a % figure or a source for the information.

Over to you, [MENTION=10856]1066familyman[/MENTION]

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
How much did you get for both of them?

It could be worse, we released £9 million Andre Gray as "he was not good enough" and Premier League Marc Pugh for the same reason. At least we have got something for Goldson.........

We sold Cook to Bournemouth in January 2012 for a fee that was reported by our local paper, the Argus, as ₤170k, which "could rise to around ₤300k, based on appearance and other add-ons."

In August 2012 we sold Elphick to them for a fee reported by the Bournemouth Echo as "believed to have been in the region of ₤200k".

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Excellent addition. So pleased to see how much better recruitment is. Someone like CG wouldn't have been on Burke's wayward radar in a million years.

Also looks like CH is a man with a long term plan. This season we needed leadership, physicality and guile and I think we have all of those with the added bonus of longevity in many of our purchases. Loving it.

Absolutely this.

It makes the Argus headline writer who tried to imply around fans' forum time that it was somehow like last year as completely out of touch.

If Dunky does go (and it seems likely to me) then it looks like our compensation will not only be around five million quid but also a young central defender with bags of potential. That's great business. If he stays then we have probably the greatest strength in depth at centre back in the division.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here