Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Calling occupants of interplanetary.....?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
20171212_154002.jpg
Following [MENTION=1958]Gazwag[/MENTION]

The Murdoch mother ship returning to planet Sky.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Indeed. I think the unusual thing the scientists are pointing out is the unusual shape, i.e cylindrical. Very unusual shape for a naturally occurring asteroid (though not beyond the realms of probability, maybe scoured as it's passed through the interstellar medium) coupled with the trajectory indicating it came from outside our solar system (and presumably from beyond the heliopause). There's no report I can see that describes whether it's tumbling, spinning on its long axis or just moving forwards with no rotation.

Do you think that perhaps, on some far off planet, there are giants whose main sport is Javelin throwing with rocks - and their equivalent of Leonardo got the launch wrong?

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
If it's starts to decelerate, then we're in trouble.

Let's hope it's not the advance scout for the huge alien war fleet currently passing through Alpha Centauri...I for one welcome our new alien overlords...

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz
Considering how long we have had the technology to send / receive radio signals in comparison to the age of our planet, the chances of another Goldilocks planet being at the same stage at the same time must be pretty slim.
Mind you, the universe is somewhat on the large side.
Someone told me that to get to the nearest star using the technology we have at present would take more fuel that our planet has and has ever produced, taking thousands of years to get there.

Last edited:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Considering how long we have had the technology to send / receive radio signals in comparison to the age of our planet, the chances of another Goldilocks planet being at the same stage at the same time must be pretty slim.
Mind you, the universe is somewhat on the large side.
Someone told me that to get to the nearest star using the technology we have at present would take more fuel that our planet has and has ever produced, taking thousands of years to get there.

But given the speed limit of the universe, we'd be receiving radio signals from way in the distant past (dependant upon the distance to the source).

You could also suggest that some of the planets we're seeing via Kepler don't even exist anymore!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Probably come to return Glenn Miller. We don't want him, go away. You took him, you can keep the smegger.

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz
But given the speed limit of the universe, we'd be receiving radio signals from way in the distant past (dependant upon the distance to the source).

You could also suggest that some of the planets we're seeing via Kepler don't even exist anymore!

Absolutely, the coincidence of all these factors must be minute.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Is it a submarine modelled out of the hopes and dreams of ex-Palace managers?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
" Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." Sir Arthur C Clarke

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
To quote Calvin and Hobbs

"The surest sign that there is intelligent life out there is that they haven't bothered to contact us"

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Looks very battered, probably been through a Galactic war on two on it’s journey

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here