Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sussex Police admit there was no knife or knuckleduster confiscated at the Palace game

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
But the tennage wankers got away Scot free . Due to the police cocking up big time the only people to suffer were innocent fans caught up in the aftermath. This is unacceptable and if the police cut our tickets for the cup game it will be scandalous.

I though they were 'kettled'? Or did the police only kettle the middle aged bobble hat warers?

Your allocation should probably be nil, but if it is all 'on the coach' only, the both of you will be treated well, I'm sure

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No one is disputing that, but the fact the police LIED to justify their actions, and shouldn't be swept under the carpet .To actually say the weapons were being kept as evidence has far reaching consequences for ALL football fans.

I'm not interested in issues being conflated. Your exchange rate is not favourable right now, so I'd recommend you zip it.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
I suppose if the so-called evidence was not challenged, the statement of weapons found would still be true. The police only owned up because they were found out.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
I didn't say I agreed with the "chinese whispers" version of events, just that it had been suggested to me that is what could have happened.

That aside, do the two stories contradict each other necessarily?

1. In the heat of the night itself, word has spread that there were weapons about.
2. A statement is rushed out and mention is made of those weapons.
3. At some point someone within the force says "Let's look at those weapons then." and someone says "Oh, hang on, we don't have any".
4. Much bluster follows, hoping it all blows over.
5. Get called out and have to fess up.

Feasible? I have no idea. I find it hard to believe that a story was made up from the off in the hope of getting away with something.

It would have a bit more feasible if the police had actually used the generic term ‘weapons’ like you have.

But they didn’t,did they?

They stated specific weapons, knives and knuckledusters, were involved.

And that was a downright lie.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The behaviour of a section of Palace fans that night is a separate issue and has rightly been condemned.

The behaviour of Sussex Police in fabricating the recovery of of knives and knuckledusters is reprehensible. The sheer irony in Simon Nelson's statement that it was a "return to the dark days" should be lost on nobody, being as it is EXACTLY this type of police fabrication that resulted in the most scandalous web of lies and deceit that took 27 years to fully unravel, before "the truth" was finally known and acknowledged.

If they garnered that "evidence" from the reports of their officers on the night, then they were incredibly stupid to go public on it before the facts had been checked and established. My guess would be that (as others have alluded), it was a chinese whispers word-of-mouth thing that they threw in, in an effort to justify some heavy-handed and frankly incompetent handling of the large group that they kettled at 6pm from the town centre, and yet still failed to get to the Amex in good time for kickoff - which was then a catalyst (albeit not a justification) for a lot of the issues that then resulted and played out.

Piss poor. That brief apology they released does not come close to addressing the seriousness of the matter, and certainly doesn't absolve them. The whole thing drastically undermines the trust fans will have in Sussex Police, and will probably lend another poisonous element to their return in a months time. Well done everyone.

Last edited:

DavePage

It would have a bit more feasible if the police had actually used the generic term ‘weapons’ like you have.

But they didn’t,did they?

They stated specific weapons, knives and knuckledusters, were involved.

And that was a downright lie.

The police thought they heard a steward say “Palace are all Tooled up with knuckledusters and daggers”
Sorry misheard… “Palace are all Tools and knuckle draggers”
Simple mistake

Last edited:

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
The behaviour of a section of Palace fans that night is a separate issue and has rightly been condemned.

The behaviour of Sussex Police in fabricating the recovery of of knives and knuckledusters is reprehensible. The sheer irony in Simon Nelson's statement that it was a "return to the dark days" should be lost on nobody, being as it is EXACTLY this type of police fabrication that resulted in the most scandalous web of lies and deceit that took 27 years to fully unravel, before "the truth" was finally known and acknowledged.

If they garnered that "evidence" from the reports of their officers on the night, then they were incredibly stupid to go public on it before the facts had been checked and established. My guess would be that (as others have alluded), it was a chinese whispers word-of-mouth thing that they threw in, in an effort to justify some heavy-handed and frankly incompetent handling of the large group that they kettled at 6pm from the town centre, and yet still failed to get to the Amex in good time for kickoff - which was then a catalyst (albeit not a justification) for a lot of the issues that then resulted and played out.

Piss poor. That brief apology they released does not come close to addressing the seriousness of the matter, and certainly doesn't absolve them. The whole thing drastically undermines the trust fans will have in Sussex Police, and will probably lend another poisonous element to their return in a months time. Well done everyone.

Have to agree with this. Worryingly poorly managed. Still a lot of questions need answering.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Imagine that bloke trying to 'police' everyone during the 70's/80's (I wasn't around in those days, but I imagine he wouldn't have been taken very seriously) :lolol:

He would of shat himself. No video evidence available back then on police hand held you could give a bit back then especially when the met were being there usual arrogant selves

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
The police really don’t help themselves do they?

I remember the dark days of the 70s and 80s. What I saw some police do in those years made me form a negative view of them which I’ve never been able to completely shake off.

When you see stuff like this, it really makes me wonder if they have changed at all.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I also have a nose for conspiracy at the best of times, but this just stinks of incompetance. My guess is that even the lie was a cock up rather than anything thought through.

Yeah, The police are either liars or incompetent fantasists. I'm not sure which is worse.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Sussex Police are claiming that they confiscated that too.

Ha! Yeah that'll be the next announcement from Sussex Police: "We arrested a football fan who gave his name as Occam who was armed with a razor." When it's pointed out that Occam's razor is a philosophical point not an actual lethal weapon "We gave that information in good faith as that's what we'd been told by BHAFC"

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
This error really needs to be referred to the Home Secretary in order that Sussex Police are brought to account over this. It's the sort of fake news that we have all been lambasting Trump over. It's a sad indictment of our law enforcement agencies and needs to be taken seriously.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
"Sussex Police, when contacted by The Independent on Tuesday, reiterated that they had recovered weapons at the scene and that they were now evidence. When pushed, they refused to publish any pictures of the ‘weapons’ or offer any proof of their existence."

From >>> http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...sters-premier-league-fa-cup-var-a8097976.html

I hadn't seen that as a direct quote. Absolutely scandalous lying from the Police. Did the Chief Inspector get his football policing / liaison skills from South Yorkshire?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Well the brass have just made life a lot harder for the frontline police who will have to deal with bellend-fest part deux in January.

Not sure the apology is really sufficient, false allegations such as this are a very serious matter indeed.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Anyone wondered how the police were able to state the fans who rushed the turnstiles didn’t have tickets?

It certainly helped deflect any criticism from their own actions leading up to that moment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here