Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
image.jpg

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Return of a King by William Dalrymple. Story of the first Afghan war - a great read and a fine example of significant research

I must get that. I've got three other Dalrymple books (The Last Mughal, Nine Lives and From the Holy Mountain) and I love his style and, as you say, the amount of research. I am a bit of a non-fiction geek though, particularly history and psychology, Talking of which.....

Just finished One Summer 1927 by Bill Bryson. Absolutely fantastic read. The most entertaining history book I think I've ever read about an amazing summer in the States. Things / topics covered include Lindburgh's transatlantic flight, Babe Ruth's home run record, Al Capone, Italian Fascists and Anarchists, murders and the initiation of the depression.

Moved on yesterday to Blink by Malcolm Gladwell which has had a fascinating first couple of chapters.

Quaid

Nov 6, 2011
I'll check out One Summer, I am just getting in to non-fiction and particularly history (getting old I reckon!).

I normally read Sci-fi and still do a lot, Peter F Hamilton being a favourite of mine.

Only the past and possible future interest me, the' now' does not 😤

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Peter Ackroyd's biography of Charlie Chaplin. Fascinating.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I must get that. I've got three other Dalrymple books (The Last Mughal, Nine Lives and From the Holy Mountain) and I love his style and, as you say, the amount of research...

Try his first, In Xanadu; one of the best travel books I've read ... and in fascinating part of the world

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
'Making It Happen: Fred Goodwin, RBS and the Men Who Blew up the British Economy' by Iain Martin. A true and salutory tale of a bunch of men in suits who were nowhere near as smart as they thought they were. Not got to the end yet, but presumably it goes on to explain why many of them are not yet in jail for robbing your nan of her pension as sure as if they'd mugged her in the street.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
I recently finished East of Eden by John Steinbeck and I implore anyone who hasn't read it to do so. A very good read.

At the other end of the spectrum Boy Wonder by James Robert Baker is laugh out loud funny. A ridiculous, spectacular, take on the strange world of Hollywood.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Half way thought the third book in the 'Talented Mr Ripley' series Ripley's Game and then it'll be Cormac McCarthy's All The Wild Horses.

Count Otto Black

Jul 22, 2015
The Mechanical Messiah by Robert Rankin.

Read The Brightonomicon and liked it so I thought i'd give this a go. Quite amusing so far.

very much recommend everyone of robert rankins books! my favourite is The Chocolate Hollow Bunnies of the Apocalypse. and am currently reading Knees Up Mother Earth

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Living On The Volcano by Michael Calvin.

An insight into the life of and pressures on football managers: features interviews with (so far) Brendan Rodgers, Eddie Howe, Sean Dyche, Mick McCarthy, Kenny Jackett, Ian Holloway, Alan Irvine, oh, and Chris Hughton.

Enjoying it thus far. Recommended :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here