Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oscar

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
There are so many flaws in the arguments against Oscar it's hard to know where to begin. But the idea that we should have been throwing every single player forward in a desperate quest for an equaliser is crazy. It was equally important last night that we didn't concede a third. That would have been as good as tie over. There are still 90 mins to play - if we're still within one goal with 30 mins of that left, then we're in with a shout.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
He plays the hand he is delt.

We witnessed tonight by derby how the system we play should be used but we are not good enough to implement it like they do.

I thought we did well in the 2nd half tonight & probably deserved a draw.

Agree.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'm not surprised at anything I see on here. So, bizarrely, asking for a manager to be sacked after his first season in English football – a season where he has got his team into the play-offs against all the odds (of a large number of supporters, at least, if not TB) – seems par for the course.

Does it make sense? Er no, not really.

Out of interest, does anyone have any details on how Oscar has performed compared with those in their first season at a new club, in a new league, in a new country? In the Championship over the past couple of seasons I can think of a few who have failed within a matter of months.

If we finished in the lower half of the table, or endured a really poor run of form – and I'm talking about a massive slide down the table over 10-15 games, not an inability to score goals – then I could maybe understand it. But we got into the play-offs. There were only five better teams than us – over the course of the season – in the division! Like others, I really fail to understand how Oscar has failed or why he should be sacked, given the circumstances he came into, and the injuries and restraints he's had to deal with. I hope he sticks around for a long, long time.

Some people on here have expectations that seemingly far exceed those of the club hierarchy. Those people are, by definition, deluded.

IMO, like.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Go please just go !!! Malky Mckay thank you very much Mr Bloom

Everyone's laying into [MENTION=22292]Mutts Nuts[/MENTION] but he's on my ignore list so I missed his usual bollocks.
This, however, needs highlighting.
Sort your life out.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Everyone's laying into [MENTION=22292]Mutts Nuts[/MENTION] but he's on my ignore list so I missed his usual bollocks.
This, however, needs highlighting.
Sort your life out.

I find it quite funny that there are two people on here calling for Malky Mackay (the one you quote and the other one who setup a whole thread for Mackay, Hughton and Clarke) yet neither of them can spell his name. I suppose that says a lot about them.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
I find it quite funny that there are two people on here calling for Malky Mackay (the one you quote and the other one who setup a whole thread for Mackay, Hughton and Clarke) yet neither of them can spell his name. I suppose that says a lot about them.
Aren't you Mr Wonderful !!!!!!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
If our ambitions are only to acheive the play offs and worry about our street cred why the **** has tony spent 125million on new ground and training facility

Ambition, or arrogance ? Such a move would be seen as the latter. More sober judgement required in the assessment of our team. We are not the only championship side who court Premiership football, and have the facility to entertain it.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
I'm not perfect but at least I'm not suggesting possible replacements for our manager when we're in the middle of a play off semi final
Been saying it for months now but I hope Oscar proves me and a lot of others wrong.
Get in the real world !

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
He plays the hand he is delt.

We witnessed tonight by derby how the system we play should be used but we are not good enough to implement it like they do.

I thought we did well in the 2nd half tonight & probably deserved a draw.

I'm not sure about him playing the hand his has been dealt, how many times did he play Barnes and Ulloa together when he had the opportunity, Lita what was the point to sit on the bench, even when he scores. The ultra defensive set up is not progressive and a point that should be made, on speaking to those who watched the game on Sky who are not Seagull fans, they unanimously said how boring to watch we were. If your not going to attack Oscar, don't tell us that you want to. What we have seen this season is a disjointed approach, alarmingly for me the most attacking selection we saw was against Hull at home when he was not too concerned about the result and look what we produced. I want us to go up, I'm a Brighton through and through but I'm not sure that Oscar can rise to the challenge. Apart from the public mild manner and the long ball he's not far behind Poyet in the boring 'passing game' approach.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Been saying it for months now but I hope Oscar proves me and a lot of others wrong.
Get in the real world !

Sorry, I'm confused. What in my post suggested I wasn't in the real world?

Also, you've been saying it for months but surely now is the time to back Oscar. If we lose tomorrow, then say what you want but this is not the time.

Finally, I don't get the Mackay fuss. He spent a lot getting Cardiff up (far more than we'll give him).

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
I'm not surprised at anything I see on here. So, bizarrely, asking for a manager to be sacked after his first season in English football – a season where he has got his team into the play-offs against all the odds (of a large number of supporters, at least, if not TB) – seems par for the course.

Does it make sense? Er no, not really.

Out of interest, does anyone have any details on how Oscar has performed compared with those in their first season at a new club, in a new league, in a new country? In the Championship over the past couple of seasons I can think of a few who have failed within a matter of months.

If we finished in the lower half of the table, or endured a really poor run of form – and I'm talking about a massive slide down the table over 10-15 games, not an inability to score goals – then I could maybe understand it. But we got into the play-offs. There were only five better teams than us – over the course of the season – in the division! Like others, I really fail to understand how Oscar has failed or why he should be sacked, given the circumstances he came into, and the injuries and restraints he's had to deal with. I hope he sticks around for a long, long time.

Some people on here have expectations that seemingly far exceed those of the club hierarchy. Those people are, by definition, deluded.

IMO, like.

I will not advocate that he is sacked, however it can be pretty much guaranteed that we will get much of the same next season. One up front, endless passing across the back four, Lua Lua at 60 minutes, CMS on the bench, lightweight midfield, no passing though the channels to a runner. Its not lost on me that both Wigan and Derby beat us at home because they were quick on the break and took defenders on directly. Who does that or who is allowed to do that in our team? Oscars die has been caste and other than the left back, he inherited the back four for which he is being acclaimed as letting in so few goals, so please tell me where he has made the difference?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I will not advocate that he is sacked, however it can be pretty much guaranteed that we will get much of the same next season. One up front, endless passing across the back four, Lua Lua at 60 minutes, CMS on the bench, lightweight midfield, no passing though the channels to a runner. Its not lost on me that both Wigan and Derby beat us at home because they were quick on the break and took defenders on directly. Who does that or who is allowed to do that in our team? Oscars die has been caste and other than the left back, he inherited the back four for which he is being acclaimed as letting in so few goals, so please tell me where he has made the difference?

I've got to give you credit for ignoring the facts to back up your argument.

CMS has been injured all year. He will probably feature a lot more next season playing in one of the wider roles in the front three.

As for midfield, he lost Bridcutt early in the season and developed Ince to replace him. Any credit for that? We were lightweight in midfield on Thursday without Stephens and Crofts (both injured) and Ince, who sounds like he is not fully fit at the moment. But you knew that and chose to ignore as it doesn't suit your argument.

We've also lost Barnes this season and Orlandi has hardly played. Despite this, we've come 6th in Oscar's first year in English football and could still go up. To be honest, for people to be criticising Oscar is an insult (especially between the two play off semi final legs).

Next season is different. He's had a year to get to know the division and hopefully will have some money to spend from Bridcutt's sale and any others. From his previous job in Israel, he clearly does like to attack more so hopefully we can get players to suit that style and progress. If not, then the middle of next season might be the time to questions his position but for now, every Brighton fan should be behind Oscar and the team for tomorrow!

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I've got to give you credit for ignoring the facts to back up your argument.

CMS has been injured all year. He will probably feature a lot more next season playing in one of the wider roles in the front three.

As for midfield, he lost Bridcutt early in the season and developed Ince to replace him. Any credit for that? We were lightweight in midfield on Thursday without Stephens and Crofts (both injured) and Ince, who sounds like he is not fully fit at the moment. But you knew that and chose to ignore as it doesn't suit your argument.

We've also lost Barnes this season and Orlandi has hardly played. Despite this, we've come 6th in Oscar's first year in English football and could still go up. To be honest, for people to be criticising Oscar is an insult (especially between the two play off semi final legs).

Next season is different. He's had a year to get to know the division and hopefully will have some money to spend from Bridcutt's sale and any others. From his previous job in Israel, he clearly does like to attack more so hopefully we can get players to suit that style and progress. If not, then the middle of next season might be the time to questions his position but for now, every Brighton fan should be behind Oscar and the team for tomorrow!

This.
I really think that losing Crofts, who gets forward from the midfield, was a big loss.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
This.
I really think that losing Crofts, who gets forward from the midfield, was a big loss.

Absolutely agree. He was player of the season for the first half of it.

We then buy Stephens to cover the loss and he starts to look good after a slow start and then gets injured himself. Story of our season!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

I think TB will back him in the summer and then depending on how we are doing reassess around Christmas to make a move for the January window if needed which I hope not.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Get in the real world !

You have already been proved wrong!

We made the play-offs which was the target at the start of the season. It's clear that you're not going to change your opinion no matter what Oscar does, you are just going to keep moving the goal posts to suit yourself.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Absolutely agree. He was player of the season for the first half of it.

We then buy Stephens to cover the loss and he starts to look good after a slow start and then gets injured himself. Story of our season!

Well if at the start of the season i was told that we would lose our player of the season for the last two seasons, have a new manager who had not managed in England, had one of our two main strikers out virtually all season, our best attacking midfielder out for most of the season....various other injuries....and were in the play off's, i would have been surprised.......and chuffed.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I think TB will back him in the summer and then depending on how we are doing reassess around Christmas to make a move for the January window if needed which I hope not.

Hope you're right. We're not far off a very good team at this level. I have real faith in Oscar and don't understand people having a go at him.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Who does that or who is allowed to do that in our team? Oscars die has been caste and other than the left back, he inherited the back four for which he is being acclaimed as letting in so few goals, so please tell me where he has made the difference?

This is a really important point. The antis keep trotting out the rubbish that Oscar had a proper pre-season when he had nothing of the sort. The transfer activity this summer is going to show Oscar's real hand, he knows all the players in the squad and he knows who fits in his plans and who doesn't. If it's true that we've signed a midfielder already it proves how different the situation is when you've got a manager already planning for next season rather than one who is refusing to deal with the retained list.
Lets see how the team sets up in the first half of next season and then we'll all be able to make a proper judgement.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here