Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Thanks IL.

To be honest, with a different mindset I could have just as easily been demoralised by it, but I'm determined to take only positives and I really enjoyed it. It's great to have a challenge and to join over 20 people out on a damp evening in December is a real God send for me as I'd never have done that ride on my own tonight. They seem to have good numbers all year round too, so no excuses. Have to say also, it was amazingly warm for a December evening - double figure temperatures!
I think a lot of people who don't race underestimate how much room for improvement they have at the top end.

Things like chain gangs and crits/track bring on your fitness massively compared to solo miles. I always had to race myself into form.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As well as Pantani being on Netflix.

There's also a 5 Live Sports Special podcast, an 'in depth' study on the mind of a sportsman, focusing on cyclists.

Both Hoy and Wiggins have long interviews with Pendleton.
It's a nice listen with some interesting areas covered, but not exceptionally ground breaking.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
So, my second toe dip into club cycling tonight. Not a chain gang this time, just a conventional group ride.

11 riders in total, and again a similar result for me... Hanging on for dear life at the back of an already split group before finally losing the wheel and not being able to get back on again. The pace of this club riding has come as a bit of a shock to be honest. It's the relentlessness of it that finishes me off, well obviously it's my fitness levels that actually finishes me off but you get what I mean :lol: There just seems barely any opportunity for respite at the moment.

Loved it again though and appreciate the fact that a friendly club exists that's willing to have me along. Again, Strava is showing lot's of PB's for me, so clearly I'm well on my limit. I've even managed to knock 35 seconds off my nemesis hill right towards the end of the ride, which I'm well chuffed with. It's an education alright!, but one I'm willing to suffer in a bid to get fitter all the while they'll put up with me.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I've even managed to knock 35 seconds off my nemesis hill right towards the end of the ride, which I'm well chuffed with.

That's actually awesome. Chapeau. I had a solo ride and a bit of freedom from the Mrs, so went for a longer run, back out East. Decided to add in a climb I'd heard of but never attempted before. Kinda began "is this it" becoming "oh a bit more" to "fukken 'ell when is this gonna end". Out of the saddle and in granny gear at the end blowing like funk.

Absolutely perfect ride despite unfavourable wind in the low lands coming back. Cramped up late in and needed to stop and stretch it out.

Don't be a twunt everyone, get out there.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
That's actually awesome. Chapeau. I had a solo ride and a bit of freedom from the Mrs, so went for a longer run, back out East. Decided to add in a climb I'd heard of but never attempted before. Kinda began "is this it" becoming "oh a bit more" to "fukken 'ell when is this gonna end". Out of the saddle and in granny gear at the end blowing like funk.

Absolutely perfect ride despite unfavourable wind in the low lands coming back. Cramped up late in and needed to stop and stretch it out.

Tomorrow.
[MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION], if I forget to mention it later, 8.30 at the pier. Usual gang.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Thanks Moto. Very nice ride there yourself today!, and littered with PB's and what not I see, so chapeau to you too.

Was going to go out with the kids today for a ride, but instead they've insisted on waiting until it gets dark. They want try out the new improved lights that we've all got. It's going to be cold and breezy along the coastal cycle path, but they're all excited by the prospect.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Well that's the shortest day of the year over with :) Wet and windy riding today but thankfully not cold. That completes a week for me where I feel like my legs have been ripped off! This club riding experience has come as a real eye opener but, despite the pain, I've really enjoyed it.

I also managed to squeeze in a Rye Nature Reserve ride in the pitch black last night with our two youngest so they could try out our new lights and experience something different. They absolutely loved it and it's one of those experiences that should be on that 100 things to do before you're 11 list, or whatever it's called.

All in all, a proper love in week with my bike.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Well that's the shortest day of the year over with :) Wet and windy riding today but thankfully not cold. That completes a week for me where I feel like my legs have been ripped off! This club riding experience has come as a real eye opener but, despite the pain, I've really enjoyed it.

I also managed to squeeze in a Rye Nature Reserve ride in the pitch black last night with our two youngest so they could try out our new lights and experience something different. They absolutely loved it and it's one of those experiences that should be on that 100 things to do before you're 11 list, or whatever it's called.

All in all, a proper love in week with my bike.

Marvellous scenes, well done 1066.

Can't agree that it wasn't cold though. My feet were blocks of ice when I got in - not helped by the fact that the second half of my ride was straight into an icy, rainy wind. The banter soon stopped, and five of us rode in near silence for a while.

At least they were dry!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Marvellous scenes, well done 1066.

Can't agree that it wasn't cold though. My feet were blocks of ice when I got in - not helped by the fact that the second half of my ride was straight into an icy, rainy wind. The banter soon stopped, and five of us rode in near silence for a while.

At least they were dry!

Thanks Pogue. Nice ride today there yourself I see, chapeau.

Did you not take those lovely overshoes you recommended to me? I did and they worked a treat again...feet warm and toasty and completely dry :thumbsup: I don't think I had time to feel cold to be honest as I was too busy blowing out of my arse most of the way! :lol: I even took my gloves off for large parts of the ride today and the rain just felt like a welcome relief.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Thanks Pogue. Nice ride today there yourself I see, chapeau.

Did you not take those lovely overshoes you recommended to me? I did and they worked a treat again...feet warm and toasty and completely dry :thumbsup: I don't think I had time to feel cold to be honest as I was too busy blowing out of my arse most of the way! :lol: I even took my gloves off for large parts of the ride today and the rain just felt like a welcome relief.

Yep, I wore the overshoes, but they have seen better days, and it is time I treated myself to a new pair. They have served me very well, but are starting to wear away at the toes. They still keep me dry, though!

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Greasy out there this morning. Had a little spill and gained my first road rash for many years - got the full set of shoulder, elbow, hip and knee!!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'm glad you're not demoralized, after all riding in a chain gang is just as much about technique, trust and confidence as it is about actual ability.

So SB, I'm hoping to make it over for more punishment tomorrow evening. Now I know you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear but, any top tips?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So SB, I'm hoping to make it over for more punishment tomorrow evening. Now I know you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear but, any top tips?
Obviously the big boys are better equipped to talk you through, than myself.
In the meantime as you know the wind is your enemy, so all the time you're not on the front you have to be out of it.
Absolutely no gap to the wheel in front.
So you have to trust yourself and the others.
Hopefully they'll ride a route you know gotta hang in on any climbs and utilized descents.
It sounds like you have 1 crack at getting back on, all or nothing!!
I doubt the others will be too bothered if you finish the ride loitering around the back, assuming you showed your face earlier in the ride.
Drink plenty.
Eat well before the ride.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Obviously the big boys are better equipped to talk you through, than myself.
In the meantime as you know the wind is your enemy, so all the time you're not on the front you have to be out of it.
Absolutely no gap to the wheel in front.
So you have to trust yourself and the others.

Hopefully they'll ride a route you know gotta hang in on any climbs and utilized descents.
It sounds like you have 1 crack at getting back on, all or nothing!!
I doubt the others will be too bothered if you finish the ride loitering around the back, assuming you showed your face earlier in the ride.
Drink plenty.
Eat well before the ride.

Thanks SB. These are the things that catch me out most I think, aside from shocking fitness of course.

I know the road really well, but it's dark and the riders, and big group riding in general, all new to me. Last week it was wet too. Having the confidence to be right on the wheel in front is going to take some getting for me I think. And when I do lose that last wheel good and proper I just don't seem to have enough left to get back on when I've basically been fighting to stay on before the big gap occurred anyway. The learning curve is a steep one that's for sure, but the other riders I've spoken to have told me not to worry, that being off the back is quite common at first and that if I stick with it then it'll eventually come. I'm not entirely convinced at this point in time, but reassuring to hear nonetheless.

Thanks for the advice. Assuming I make it over tomorrow and arrive back safely I'll report back on progress, or lack thereof.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thanks SB. These are the things that catch me out most I think, aside from shocking fitness of course.

I know the road really well, but it's dark and the riders, and big group riding in general, all new to me. Last week it was wet too. Having the confidence to be right on the wheel in front is going to take some getting for me I think. And when I do lose that last wheel good and proper I just don't seem to have enough left to get back on when I've basically been fighting to stay on before the big gap occurred anyway. The learning curve is a steep one that's for sure, but the other riders I've spoken to have told me not to worry, that being off the back is quite common at first and that if I stick with it then it'll eventually come. I'm not entirely convinced at this point in time, but reassuring to hear nonetheless.

Thanks for the advice. Assuming I make it over tomorrow and arrive back safely I'll report back on progress, or lack thereof.
Obviously you can't force the trust, dark wet roads isn't exactly an ideal starting point.
You have to be cautious, but if your not on that wheel you are working a little bit harder than everybody else.

One other thing that might just be a me, but I'll mention it anyway.
Get a good handle of the pace before you hit the front.
I never want to 'slow everybody down' but it's difficult to maintain an even pace when your nose is in the wind.
Sure you have to push harder but it's really easy to over cook it and go too fast.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Just dawned on me that I didn't get a ride in this year with those that have most inspired me. :(

Better get that mended next year.

And [MENTION=2878]Woodchip[/MENTION], still waiting to look at some mid blowing ride profiles from you.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here