Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Corbyn's "flexible football ticket"

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Governements getting involved in private business is something I don't agree with in the slightest. I'd rather they spend there time elsewhere. This just sounds like populism.

Two problems with that statement.

1) The railways are already in part quasi run by the goverment. Particularly in the way the ticket prices are set.

2) The railways are mostly a monopoly and it's EXACTLY where a free market loving state should intervene.

Lastly, it's a great idea. A flexible ticket to an event that is likely to change its date.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
Two problems with that statement.

1) The railways are already in part quasi run by the goverment. Particularly in the way the ticket prices are set.

2) The railways are mostly a monopoly and it's EXACTLY where a free market loving state should intervene.

Lastly, it's a great idea. A flexible ticket to an event that is likely to change its date.

Not a problem in my eyes. You've only strengthened the belief I have in it.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Or the railways sneakily add a quid to the price of a ticket, include cancellation insurance for 'free', and market it as a new perk to thank the travelling fans for their loyalty?

Or, do what I do... Go to Trainline, get it miles cheaper than rocking up at the station, click the cancellation insurance box, and have no further worries.

Train line is never cheaper than buying direct from various train companies websites I find

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Anyway back to the ticket idea

Populist gimmick

Far better to make a pledge that within X years all UK trains will run with the same efficiency and punctuality as Japanese trains, and actually invest in the railways and ensure that this happens.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Governements getting involved in private business is something I don't agree with in the slightest. I'd rather they spend there time elsewhere. This just sounds like populism.

As they keep saying that the cuts that the Tories have made are so bad, why isn't the money that will be used to fund this being used to help those they keep saying are the ones in real need?

Is it simply because they are trying to emotionally blackmail people by claiming that the Tories previous cuts are terrible when they arn't anywhere near as bad as they are made out to be? and playing populist politics to try to get as many votes as possible

No doubt if Labour were to win and the Tories win a later election and reverse this, Labour and their supporters will be using this as another example of the Tories a) only being interested in the rich and b) attacking the poor and making them poorer.......zzzzzzzzzzzzz

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Cheers - without coming across arrogant- how much do they need to give? That is a LOT of money - I assume that doesn't include the money paid out locally through club foundations etc

It's a question of priorities. Are we talking 4G pitches, UEFA 'B' minimum qualified coaches for every youth team in the UK (as they have in Iceland, for example).

The FA charge people wanting to take the UEFA 'A' qualification £2,965, in Germany the DFB charge €800.

The problems are complex, three governing bodies with different objectives and finances, a school curriculum that is making sport and exercise more marginalised, funding at a local level being cut and so on. Just taking money from the Premier League TV deal is a nice soundbite, but unless the money is spent wisely then it's pissing in the wind.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
It's a question of priorities. Are we talking 4G pitches, UEFA 'B' minimum qualified coaches for every youth team in the UK (as they have in Iceland, for example).

The FA charge people wanting to take the UEFA 'A' qualification £2,965, in Germany the DFB charge €800.

The problems are complex, three governing bodies with different objectives and finances, a school curriculum that is making sport and exercise more marginalised, funding at a local level being cut and so on. Just taking money from the Premier League TV deal is a nice soundbite, but unless the money is spent wisely then it's pissing in the wind.

Think there is an argument for the PL to run football in this country, everything the FA touch goes to garbage

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jrq7KISyyd8

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Cheers - without coming across arrogant- how much do they need to give? That is a LOT of money - I assume that doesn't include the money paid out locally through club foundations etc

The PL - zero.

Richard Scudamore covered this is a long and informative interview on Radio 5's Sports Week last Sunday.

No other club level private entity in the world gives away sums anywhere approaching that figure.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I believe a football finance expert was on Radio 4 discussing Corbyn's plan to force the Premier League to give 5% of its TV money to grassroots football, and he said that it seemed harsh on a small club such as Crystal Palace to be expected to contribute towards park football when central and local government funding had been slashed for a number of years.

My how the lowely have fallen :cool:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I didn't even give credence to the fact that he alluded to putting 40 litres of oil in his car at BP.... I assume he's got a sump the size of Michelle McManus's arse, or he meant petrol / diesel.

Anyway. Who cares. It's Sunday.

You do know that NSC, really stands for North Sea Comedians.
You know oil, eh eh :cool:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The PL - zero.

Richard Scudamore covered this is a long and informative interview on Radio 5's Sports Week last Sunday.

No other club level private entity in the world gives away sums anywhere approaching that figure.

It just seems the money handed over is completely wasted

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

I would agree with this were it not for the fact that business is so involved in politics at present.

We suffer here in Australia with politicians desperate to get involved in business by giving them subsidies of our money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here