Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale OFF ***to Birmingham - Official***

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
He just tweeted:

Gutted to go out like that. Big thank you to all my teammates and staff. [MENTION=27715]Benjames[/MENTION]Roberts for everything. Thank you to all the fans [emoji1319][emoji1319]

So it definitely sounds like he's off.

Off to Chelsea for a lot more money. Loaned out to Fulham, if they get promoted. Suits him ideally.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I can't argue with any of that. You are right, even in one of our best seasons in decades, with arguably the best defence in the league he has made 3/4 costly mistakes. He has also made some brilliant penalty saves which have won us points but that is the keepers job ultimately. I don't think he will ever be consistent enough to be a top level 1st choice GK.

No, he won't.
There are better keepers around. If we had had David Marshall for the last 2-3 seasons we would be an established PL team by now.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
He has written himself in Albion history. He will be forever associated with that howler whether you like it or not. Best for him to start afresh somewhere else

Sadly, I agree.
Fans will always tarnish him with losing us the league title. Everything that went before will be forgotten. You are only as good as your last game in football.

Utter rubbish.

IF he goes, he will be remembered (by me and I think most fans) as being the best goalkeeper I've ever seen play for Brighton and one of the most important players in our promotion to the Premier League.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
IF he does go, am I right in thinking that because he's out of contract and over 23? he goes on a free transfer - aka we get naff-all for the "sale" of a prem-standard player.

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
IF he does go, am I right in thinking that because he's out of contract and over 23? he goes on a free transfer - aka we get naff-all for the "sale" of a prem-standard player.

Yep - Same as Stephens. Given everything he has done this season, another masterstroke by the club to keep him for the year and let his contract run down. Yes - we were always risking losing him for free but without him and Stephens (ie if we'd cashed in last summer or January), I don't think we would be in the Premier League right now (and would be going through the dreaded play-offs probably)

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Sorry...but a footballer is only as good as his last game. Sure they were special moments but he himself would have given up all of those to have saved that shot yesterday and lift that trophy.

Going to have to agree to disagree on this one I'm afraid. I don't personally feel one, admittedly calamitous, mistake tarnishes everything other wonderful game he's had for us. But you do and that's fine.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Screenshot_2017-05-08-08-01-15.png

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Utter rubbish.

IF he goes, he will be remembered (by me and I think most fans) as being the best goalkeeper I've ever seen play for Brighton and one of the most important players in our promotion to the Premier League.

Don't think he's the best I've seen, but........

He is a legend for:

The double save vs Sheff Wed
The penalty saves

Countless big saves last season and this

But just as impressive his conduct as a person and the way he came across particularly after the Shoreham Air Disaster.

An all round decent person who deserves every success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven
I find it a bit odd to let him go, unless he wanted out of course? There are bigger weaknesses to resolve than an occasional erratically prone keeper to be solved- I'd say he was one of our better players overall!

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
He just tweeted:

Gutted to go out like that. Big thank you to all my teammates and staff. [MENTION=27715]Benjames[/MENTION]Roberts for everything. Thank you to all the fans [emoji1319][emoji1319]

So it definitely sounds like he's off.
Blimey.

Can't interpret that in any other way than he's OFF.

Surprises me.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I find it a bit odd to let him go, unless he wanted out of course? There are bigger weaknesses to resolve than an occasional erratically prone keeper to be solved- I'd say he was one of our better players overall!

The goalkeeper will probably be our most important player next year...

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Very dissapointed if he goes, but equally can't blame him if its for a lot of dough at chelsea.

He's been excellent for us

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Now that Stockdale is off.

Great keeper,seems like a top bloke also but,unfortunately looks certain that He's going.
Who do We fancy to replace Him?
Saucy bid for Joe Hart?Pickford?Rob Green or do We stick with the big Finn with Walton a number two?..

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Wish him nothing but the best if he has decided to leave. From a goalkeeping perspective I believe he is replaceable but we will undoubtedly miss his leadership and personality.
The club seem relaxed about this guessing they are confident of replacing him.
Not seen much of Walton but do the club consider him ready?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Don't get me wrong Stockdale is a GREAT keeper, but Premier League quality? not in my opinion. And given the fact we've not met his contract demands, it seems Chris is of the same opinion?
Recently someone said we had offered the contract he wanted. Doesn't mean he's not going though.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Sorry...but a footballer is only as good as his last game. Sure they were special moments but he himself would have given up all of those to have saved that shot yesterday and lift that trophy.

If he had given up all those moments we wouldn't have been in a position to win the trophy or even, possibly, to get promotion.

You obviously have an anti-Stockdale agenda to satisfy. 'A footballer is only as good as his last game' is one of the most pathetic sayings in football and total nonsense...unless, like you, you want it to be the case.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Ruddy is available on a free..... and i suspect knows Hughton from his Norwich days... just saying

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
We may well go with Maenpaa and Walton ( but only if Walton is deemed not to need another season out on loan in the Championship ).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here