Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] "Hughton Out" on Radio 5 Live

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We are actually currently averaging more goals a game than we averaged over last season.

We are three places higher in the league than we finished last season.

We have just won three games in a row in the top league for the first time since the early eighties.

Our success has not been founded upon out attacking teams. We are organised, resilient and hard to break down and have been ever since Chris Hughton instilled this approach to stop us from getting relegated from the Championship in his first season.

We won three matches in October in the Premier League. Do you remember when we never used to win in October? Which manager stopped that?

Despite a nomination for manager of the month and two players up for player of the month, Hughton has made it clear in interviews that he is not satisfied that the team is reaching the levels that they are capable of.

Players have said repeatedly that one of Hughton's great strengths is that he does not react to the highs and lows of football results. He focuses on the next target.

We are missing Gross and Propper. Following injury, Izquierdo is playing his way into form in the same way he did when he joined last year. The new signings are going through the same acclimatising process that Izquierdo went through last year.

Seven of our eleven games have been against teams who sit above us in the league; six against the top half and four against the big six. We have not lost to anyone currently below us.

Our top striker is one behind the division's leading goalscorer.

Hughton's approach has led to a Brighton player being called up to the England squad for the first time in more than three decades.

We are currently one place above where Newcastle were when Mike Ashley sacked Chris Hughton in 2010: a decision rightly derided by most people in football as utterly disrespectful, hubristic and short-termist.

We have a manager who is committed, decent, honourable, knowledgeable, realistic, hard working and successful and, as fans we would do well to reflect his attitude to football. Doing so would keep us grounded enough to never feel the need to ring a football phone-in show.

Everyone should have stopped listening to 606 the moment #prodnose was sacked. His concept of a programme celebrating the shared joyous madness and pointlessness of football obsession has become completely corrupted and is now nothing more than a forum for amateur and professional partisan bores to share opinions that their friends and families have become tired of hearing.

Other than that, carry on...

Absolutely all of this :thumbsup:

Quite possibly the post of the year.

arewethereyet?

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Bit patronising. Just because this fan has a different opinion to the majority of us, doesn't really make them any less of a fan than those with a different opinion, surely?

I don't agree with the opinion myself, even though I can see why a tiny minority of fans might come to this opinion. Our football isn't that exciting at the moment, to be fair.
Ok our football isn’t that exciting but it’s certainly no reason to call for a change of manager, I expect it’s someone who has disliked Hughton from the start.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Evening everyone, that was me on the radio earlier by the way. I initially called in because they were waffling on about this potential European super league nonsense and I wanted to talk about something that had actually happened. You’ve got to say something outlandish or they won’t put you on.

Anyway, much as I admire Hughton and obviously accept that he has done and continues to do a fantastic job I can’t help but feel frustrated when we opt to pass sideways or backwards when we have the opportunity to attack teams on the break. I’m talking about when we’ve been under pressure in our own box and the ball rebounds or gets cleared, ending up at the feet of Bong (if he doesn’t mis-control it) or Knockaert or March or Bissouma and we don’t just... attack. There’s no danger because all their players are in our half, and we’re bursting into theirs but we always slow it down, look sideways and then the opposition regroup and the opportunity is gone. It happened at Newcastle, at home to Wolves and today at Everton.

So, do I want Hughton to ‘step aside’? Not really. Would I like to see him be a little more positive now that we’ve clearly got a great defensive shape and are very tough to break down? Yes. Am I concerned that if we continue to ignore these opportunities to attack on the break we risk not scoring enough goals to keep us in the division? Maybe. And by the way, if we do get relegated it’s not really the end of the world.

So no, I’m not a Palace fan on a wind up and I’m not a kid and nor am I a recently arrived ‘jcl’. I’ve watched us at all four home grounds and up and down the country in all four divisions. The thing is, having got to the premier league and had a bit of a look I think it’s there for us to have a go at and maybe not just settle for the top 17 if Hughton can just release the reins a little bit now and again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What an absolutely ridiculous post. We've got our most creative player (and last season's player of the season) out injured, a Dutch international out injured and loads of new signings to bed in while we also try and keep a couple of fragile egos in check. Despite ALL of this we're doing better this season than last in terms of results and have the leading English goalscorer in the division - not bad for a team that you don't think attacks.

If you've "got to say something contraversial" then here's a thought - don't bother ringing in at all. If everyone who actually had the common sense to know it was just half baked opionionated pub bores feeding a pair of shock jocks stopped phoning in maybe the show would die on its a**e like it deserves to. You seem to be self aware enough to know they want contraversial content, yet you went right ahead and gave it them. No wonder Savage is slaughtering you. :facepalm:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We are actually currently averaging more goals a game than we averaged over last season.

We have just won three games in a row in the top league for the first time since the early eighties.

Our success has not been founded upon out attacking teams. We are organised, resilient and hard to break down and have been ever since Chris Hughton instilled this approach to stop us from getting relegated from the Championship in his first season.

We won three matches in October in the Premier League. Do you remember when we never used to win in October? Which manager stopped that?

Despite a nomination for manager of the month and two players up for player of the month, Hughton has made it clear in interviews that he is not satisfied that the team is reaching the levels that they are capable of.

Players have said repeatedly that one of Hughton's great strengths is that he does not react to the highs and lows of football results. He focuses on the next target.

We are missing Gross and Propper. Following injury, Izquierdo is playing his way into form in the same way he did when he joined last year. The new signings are going through the same acclimatising process that Izquierdo went through last year.

Seven of our eleven games have been against teams who sit above us in the league; six against the top half and four against the big six. We have not lost to anyone currently below us.

Hughton's approach has led to a Brighton player being called up to the England squad for the first time in more than three decades.

We are currently one place above where Newcastle were when Mike Ashley sacked Chris Hughton in 2010: a decision rightly derided by most people in football as utterly disrespectful, hubristic and short-termist.

We have a manager who is committed, decent, honourable, knowledgeable, realistic, hard working and successful and, as fans we would do well to reflect his attitude to football. Doing so would keep us grounded enough to never feel the need to ring a football phone-in show.

Everyone should have stopped listening to 606 the moment #prodnose was sacked. His concept of a programme celebrating the shared joyous madness and pointlessness of football obsession has become completely corrupted and is now nothing more than a forum for amateur and professional partisan bores to share opinions that their friends and families have become tired of hearing.

My vote for post of the year.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Magnificent

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
In SOME people’s opinion the world is flat
In SOME people’s opinion driving with six pints inside you is okay
In SOME people’s opinion the sun goes round the earth
In SOME people’s opinion the mantis shrimp is harder than the honey badger
In SOME people’s opinion the royal family are lizards from another planet
In SOME people’s opinion Donald Trump is making America great again.

We can now add to that list one more opinion where the person holding it is deluded.

Last edited:

In SOME people’s opinion the world is flat
In SOME people’s opinion driving with six pints inside you is okay
In SOME people’s opinion the sun goes round the earth
In SOME people’s opinion the royal family are lizards from another planet
In SOME people’s opinion Donald Trump is making America great again.

We can now add to that list one more opinion where the person holding it is deluded.
You forgot dinosaurs flying to the moon, we need that sorted, causing terrible arguments at home!:moo:

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I thought there was some truth in what he said re our style. In this regard we've gone backwards this year, and that's the worry.

I just think he confused not being happy with our style and not being happy with results. Our style is awful at times (and doesn't get the best from our players). But our results, at this stage, are above expectations so chat of sacking him is massively premature and really shouldn't happen until bad results are matching bad performances consistently.

But CH isn't above the sack either. He's done a great job so far, but football is what it is and there will come a time when he will leave our club, either through being pushed or leaving voluntarily.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Evening everyone, that was me on the radio earlier by the way. I initially called in because they were waffling on about this potential European super league nonsense and I wanted to talk about something that had actually happened. You’ve got to say something outlandish or they won’t put you on.

Anyway, much as I admire Hughton and obviously accept that he has done and continues to do a fantastic job I can’t help but feel frustrated when we opt to pass sideways or backwards when we have the opportunity to attack teams on the break. I’m talking about when we’ve been under pressure in our own box and the ball rebounds or gets cleared, ending up at the feet of Bong (if he doesn’t mis-control it) or Knockaert or March or Bissouma and we don’t just... attack. There’s no danger because all their players are in our half, and we’re bursting into theirs but we always slow it down, look sideways and then the opposition regroup and the opportunity is gone. It happened at Newcastle, at home to Wolves and today at Everton.

So, do I want Hughton to ‘step aside’? Not really. Would I like to see him be a little more positive now that we’ve clearly got a great defensive shape and are very tough to break down? Yes. Am I concerned that if we continue to ignore these opportunities to attack on the break we risk not scoring enough goals to keep us in the division? Maybe. And by the way, if we do get relegated it’s not really the end of the world.

So no, I’m not a Palace fan on a wind up and I’m not a kid and nor am I a recently arrived ‘jcl’. I’ve watched us at all four home grounds and up and down the country in all four divisions. The thing is, having got to the premier league and had a bit of a look I think it’s there for us to have a go at and maybe not just settle for the top 17 if Hughton can just release the reins a little bit now and again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really disappointing a fellow fan would use calling for the manager to go just to get on the radio. I mean seriously :shrug: Anyway I think the subsequent reply just about covers it. :thumbsup:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I thought there was some truth in what he said re our style. In this regard we've gone backwards this year, and that's the worry.

I just think he confused not being happy with our style and not being happy with results. Our style is awful at times (and doesn't get the best from our players). But our results, at this stage, are above expectations so chat of sacking him is massively premature and really shouldn't happen until bad results are matching bad performances consistently.

But CH isn't above the sack either. He's done a great job so far, but football is what it is and there will come a time when he will leave our club, either through being pushed or leaving voluntarily.

It’s this kind of lack of context I don’t get!? We were fortunate to steer clear of injuries last year and our signings settled quickly. I don’t remember our style being better though, it’s largely the same, players themselves are struggling for confidence and form. Our style is getting the best from our players because it’s not style that is preventing us attacking more, it’s quality in the final third. In our defensive third we are as strong as any team, so to be where we are IS getting the best from them. Hughton hasn’t a wand to make Jahanbahsk, Izzy, March in particular world beaters over night, or Locadia come good, but anyone can see they’re struggling and not through style, through confidence, match sharpness, settling in, form, we just have to trust they’ll come good.

No team goes through a season playing in form and with style for the duration, it all ebbs and flows, just when you are struggling if you pick up points then it should be the sign of a very good team.

We’re eating at the top table where even middle of the road sides spend £100m+ in a single transfer window. Need to show a bit more bottle than some fans are managing.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Purely hypothetically.

If we nose dive into danger, ultimately crashing and burning, do we try someone else, or retain Hughton as the best person to launch a potential promotion bid next season?

Too early to panic now anyway. Which teams are definitely worse than us?

Slightly concerned of Cheshire.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Purely hypothetically.

If we nose dive into danger, ultimately crashing and burning, do we try someone else, or retain Hughton as the best person to launch a potential promotion bid next season?

Too early to panic now anyway. Which teams are definitely worse than us?

Slightly concerned of Cheshire.

Fulham can’t defend and he’s trying everything - worse. Southampton can’t score or hold a lead when they do - worse. Huddersfield can neither score or keep a clean sheet - worse. Cardiff are still a championship side - worse. Newcastle struggling behind the scenes, don’t have our resilience when things go against them - worse.

Your other question, would only see Hughtons position under serious threat if we in the relegation battle at the foot of the Championship, I think he has that much loyalty from TB in hand.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here