Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] O/T Boiler/ neighbour Advice

Jonesy

Aug 7, 2011
Hi All, after some advice.

My boiler has been playing up recently so had an engineer round to look at it today. He took one look at the position of the boiler and it's Flue and said it is unsafe and capped off our gas supply to avoid it being used.

This was due to our flue expelling into the eaves of an extension that our neighbours are currently building/ finishing. The flue is less than a foot away from the wall of their extension and due to the new structure being taller than our extension the fumes go directly up into the roof.

The engineer also said that the extension was probably what was causing the issues with the boiler in the first place.

At the time of planning etc the flue issue never came up and presumably the extension has building regs sign off.

I am meant to be moving house within the month and cannot leave our house with no gas supply or boiler.

Our boiler is fairly old and so I suspect (as far as i can find on google) any flue extension kits will be obsolete and it may not survive being moved so I might need a completely new boiler.

Do I have any recourse with my neighbours? I understand that they can build on their land but are they allowed to make a boiler flue unsafe as part of that process?

Any advice, knowledge or suggestions welcome, thanks.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I would have thought you could extend the flue like a chimney somehow - although the resident gas plumbers will probably explain that is impossible. Failing that I would get a second opinion, and maybe ask Gas safe (or whatever Corgi is called now). Also speak to Building Regs at your local council as someone will need to sign off next doors extension.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I read the thread and still none the wiser. Legal or illegal, safe or not safe, owner or neighbour responsible, who, what, where, how etc etc.............. [emoji2957][emoji2957][emoji2957]

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
It is not a simple case unfortunately.

It should’ve been picked up at planning/building regs/architect stage that your flue was going to be a problem.

Ultimately the builders should not have done anything to deem a gas installation unsafe. They are at fault for doing so. How you remedy that with your neighbours I don’t know. You could get building control round to take a look and offer some advice.

I assume you have a 3rd party wall agreement? We had an extension a couple of years ago and had such an agreement as were going within 3 metres I think. Our flue comes out the new extension towards the neighbours but it finishes about 1m before the boundary. I do recall the new boiler & flue being discussed at 3rd party wall stage by the architect.

Regarding a flue extension kit. Best bet is speak to manufacturer direct and ask if they do one for your model etc. If you explain problem they may offer a solution - be warned though some may only discuss this with a registered gas engineer.

Good Luck!

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado

My boiler has been playing up recently so had an engineer round to look at it today. He took one look at the position of the boiler and it's Flue and said it is unsafe and capped off our gas supply to avoid it being used.

This was due to our flue expelling into the eaves of an extension that our neighbours are currently building/ finishing. The flue is less than a foot away from the wall of their extension and due to the new structure being taller than our extension the fumes go directly up into the roof.

The engineer also said that the extension was probably what was causing the issues with the boiler in the first place.

At the time of planning etc the flue issue never came up and presumably the extension has building regs sign off.

I am meant to be moving house within the month and cannot leave our house with no gas supply or boiler.

Our boiler is fairly old and so I suspect (as far as i can find on google) any flue extension kits will be obsolete and it may not survive being moved so I might need a completely new boiler.

Do I have any recourse with my neighbours? I understand that they can build on their land but are they allowed to make a boiler flue unsafe as part of that process?

In my view, once your neighbours had the original plans submitted/passed their builders should have pointed out the possible problem with your flue before starting work.
The original bloke who drew up the plans (builders?) should of seen this as well.
I would not assume you or your neighbour to know about boiler flues but the builders should.

Whoops just read the post above!

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
In my view, once your neighbours had the original plans submitted/passed their builders should have pointed out the possible problem with your flue before starting work.
The original bloke who drew up the plans (builders?) should of seen this as well.
I would not assume you or your neighbour to know about boiler flues but the builders should.

Whoops just read the post above!

Yes, builders become responsible here. They'll try to argue that your flue shouldn't plume over neighbours property, but still their fault.

Put up a pic, and say what boiler make/model is please.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Have you talked to your neighbour yet? They may prove amenable. Just explain and say you think it's reasonable to have them pay to make it safe and argue the toss with their builder over his contribution.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Building Regulations Part J Section3 covers gas boilers. Diagram 34 gives you the distances required from everything, relevant item is 3.21.
https://www.specifiedby.com/building-regulations/approved-document-j-combustion-appliances-fuel-storage-systems#diagram-7

In the first instance a flue shouldn't be positioned within 600mm of a boundary.

There are flue extension kits that may overcome the issue, but if it has been installed within 600mm of the boundary originally, it may not be that simple. Your engineer should be able to advise on reasonable solutions because by the sounds of it you need to get it sorted rather than a long drawn out debate with the neighbour.

https://www.plumbase.co.uk/plume-management-100010893-0000

Jonesy

Aug 7, 2011
Thanks for all the advice so far. We're looking for an extender but seems as though any that did exist are now obsolete.

The model is Myson Apollo 40B - so it's really old but still got a bit of life in it.

The irritating thing is that we're due to be moving house this month so whilst it needs to be dealt with, circa £2k for a new boiler is far from ideal (excuse the pun)

(Tried to post a pic but it's not liking it currently)

Jonesy

Aug 7, 2011
thumbnail_IMG_9206.jpg

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

you need to start with their builder ....if he won't sort it ask who drew the plans and signed off on them .....pretty sure the issue should have been highlighted during the planning stage , if the engineer has deemed it unsafe / illegal then someone hasn't done their job .

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
sorry didn't see pic.......they have created the problem so in a perfect world they may be expected to contribute to the rectification works......in a perfect world.

Jonesy

Aug 7, 2011
you need to start with their builder ....if he won't sort it ask who drew the plans and signed off on them .....pretty sure the issue should have been highlighted during the planning stage , if the engineer has deemed it unsafe / illegal then someone hasn't done their job .

The neighbour himself built it with assistance from various mates in the trades so the responsibility as 'project manager' will sit with him. He's a roofer so should have a pretty good idea of building regs etc.

Might have to head round there tonight for an awkward chat. If I were in his position I probably wouldn't accept liability as I'd be building on my land. Hopefully he's sympathetic and will at least contribute toward a resolution.

Jonesy

Aug 7, 2011
Wow, that cant be right?!

Surely your neighbour, or one of their contractor type people will be liable for any costs to rectify?

I agree, and the fumes go directly into the eaves of his roof! So in his interest to resolve the situation to avoid fumes going directly into his house!

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
The neighbour himself built it with assistance from various mates in the trades so the responsibility as 'project manager' will sit with him. He's a roofer so should have a pretty good idea of building regs etc.

Might have to head round there tonight for an awkward chat. If I were in his position I probably wouldn't accept liability as I'd be building on my land. Hopefully he's sympathetic and will at least contribute toward a resolution.

Liability isn't something you accept, you either are, or are not, liable. And just because it's his land doesn't mean that he can do what he wants.

I am no expert on these things, but if he has built it himself, and seemingly missed this, or not been bothered about it, I would be wondering what other parts of the build don't meet building regulations.

Edit: are you aware if planning permission was sought and/or granted? Would be easy to find out.

Edit 2: Although thinking about it further if your flue shouldn’t have been located here in the first place, as it is within 600 mm of the boundary, that may affect who is liable. Looks like the flue is located on your own extension, when this was built the building regulations may have been different such that this was OK at the time.

Last edited:

Jonesy

Aug 7, 2011
Liability isn't something you accept, you either are, or are not, liable. And just because it's his land doesn't mean that he can do what he wants.

I am no expert on these things, but if he has built it himself, and seemingly missed this, or not been bothered about it, I would be wondering what other parts of the build don't meet building regulations.

Edit: are you aware if planning permission was sought and/or granted? Would be easy to find out.

It was permitted development and is on the council website

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here