Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Changing The System

Jimmy Grimble

4-5-1, served us very well last year and it was our favoured formation without fail. Can't complain about that, we played some fantastic football.

However, this isn't a moan or anything like that, just would like to see what others think, is it now time we occasionally change it? Away from home it evidently doesn't work in the way we hope it would. Surely we need a system that will make us more threatening? Especially when behind, surely then a formation change could help?

Would like to see what others think.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It’s broke, therefore it needs fixing

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
4-5-1, served us very well last year and it was our favoured formation without fail. Can't complain about that, we played some fantastic football.

However, this isn't a moan or anything like that, just would like to see what others think, is it now time we occasionally change it? Away from home it evidently doesn't work in the way we hope it would. Surely we need a system that will make us more threatening? Especially when behind, surely then a formation change could help?

Would like to see what others think.

Tricky as the system is very much a safety first approach (play with handbrake on). trouble is we hardly ever really get chance to hurt the opposition and when the inevitable comes it is too hard to change around..
However, if we go all out, we could get mullered and then what do you do/say?
Personally I think Bissouma and AJ bring more pace and a directness to the game. Bernardo will settle in as will Montanya, and then we need to give Andone and Locadia a proper go in the team to utilize their strengths as however much you dress things up, Murray and Gross have zero pace and rarely stretch the opposition when we are away from home.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I don't know how we change it unless we move Gross. Leaving him there means we can change personnel to get different styles of footballer in each position, but the system essentially remains the same. Removing him means, well, dropping last years player of the season

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As I posted on another thread my son phoned up after listening to WA on Radio Sussex who said he thinks that we should play 4-3-3 away from home as it would give us greater defensive capability and a greater attacking threat when going forward. However, whatever system you use only works when all players are up for it but when 9 or 10 are below par nothing works.

theboybilly

It was largely the side that played most away games last season so why are folk expecting anything different? We were slow in the build up with no pace up front. I wasn't overly impressed by the opposition but they were tough opponents who used some dodgy tactics to get by. Nevertheless Albion gave them the game on a plate. Things should improve when the new lads settle in - we are only one point down on last year

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It was largely the side that played most away games last season so why are folk expecting anything different? We were slow in the build up with no pace up front. I wasn't overly impressed by the opposition but they were tough opponents who used some dodgy tactics to get by. Nevertheless Albion gave them the game on a plate. Things should improve when the new lads settle in - we are only one point down on last year

I wouldn't have minded playing "us" at home in the first game of the new season. That speaks volumes. It's got to change.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Why do players for Brighton need months of settling in time? Especially when the incumbents were evidently still doing this in almost every position today?

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I love CH but one of his biggest faults is his one dimensional approach to tactics and systems. What have we seen in four years? 4-4-2, a season of 4-4-1-1 and the odd bit of 4-5-1. All negative systems, all old school. Yes we did play three centre halves ONCE last season.

Some managers will change it several times in a game. Not Chris.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
What 'dodgy tactics' were they? You mean like attacking our goal and having the temerity to score twice? How dare they,

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I’d play 4–1-4-1 away.

Stephens deeper with Propper/Groß and Bissouma in front. I know it might mean dropping Groß for some games but the way we set up to play away from home he is often starved of possession and not effecting the game.

theboybilly

What 'dodgy tactics' were they? You mean like attacking our goal and having the temerity to score twice? How dare they,

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

No - I was alluding to things like the snide pull at Dunk's face when the ref wasn't looking, the little digs as our players ran or walked past. Sometimes I think we should be a bit more 'streetwise' about this but I think as,a Hughton team we are sometimes too honest.
As an aside do you think Watford were thst good? Take an excellent strike away and honours were pretty even in a dull scrappy first half in my opinion. They were Graham Taylor's POMO position personified (he must have been looking down with a smile) They only looked half decent at 2-0 when they could afford to pass it about but up until then Albion were playing much more football on the deck (albeit not that well I admit)

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
No - I was alluding to things like the snide pull at Dunk's face when the ref wasn't looking, the little digs as our players ran or walked past. Sometimes I think we should be a bit more 'streetwise' about this but I think as,a Hughton team we are sometimes too honest.
As an aside do you think Watford were thst good? Take an excellent strike away and honours were pretty even in a dull scrappy first half in my opinion. They were Graham Taylor's POMO position personified (he must have been looking down with a smile) They only looked half decent at 2-0 when they could afford to pass it about but up until then Albion were playing much more football on the deck (albeit not that well I admit)

They were excellent. First to every ball (EVERY BALL). Crisp, neat passing. Solid defensively the few times they needed to be. Clinical. Inventive. Energetic. Passionate.
Everything we weren't basically.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004

463260f8065bfa1d5374b8528b043e68.jpg

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Surely this should have been worked on pre season?...No, let's just played the same old tried and failed, away from home system. Time after time....It didn't work last season. So maybe it will work this one....Play all the same players. Leave any surprises on the bench, till the games out of reach. Then bring them on when it's to late.....Let's just pray our home form holds out. Although I suspect other managers will do their homework and be adaptable.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
2 holding midfielders + 2 wingers shackled by defensive duties + slow no.9 + slow 10 = lack of goals = relegation dogfight.

I genuinely believe we have as much ability in our squad as Bournemouth but they seem to do a bit better away and score more goals.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here