Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "You're black and you stink" Rodriquez comment to Bong? - FA say not proven

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Not totally surprised by that outcome, did seem a bit shaky and lacking supporting evidence/witnesses. I wondered at the time if Bong had not acted maliciously - but had simply misheard or misunderstood.

Anyway all ifs and buts now. If Rodriquez did say it, he has got away with it. If not, it's the right outcome. It's not necessarily true to say 'Bong lied' because this is case not proven/insufficient evidence to prove the charge, but that is perhaps how the other side will view it.

Technohead

Aug 10, 2013
Burgess Hill
"We are not at all surprised that The FA brought this charge. We agree with Mr De Marco QC that it was right that they did so. We gave anxious and careful consideration to the evidence. Rightly, no one suggested this was a malicious complaint nor that GB was lying. Ultimately, we did not reach the position where we were satisfied the Player probably spoke offending words. In those circumstances, we could not and therefore did not find the charge of Misconduct proved".

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Only Rodriguez truly knows whether he made a racist comment or not. Whatever he said, his "you smell" action was unnecessary and should have been worthy of a short ban.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
When I first saw it, it seemed to me that he was saying that Bongs breath smelt rather than being told , "you're black and you stink " . So I'm not surprised by the outcome at all

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Whether he said something racist or not, perhaps this whole experience will teach Rodriguez not to be such a childish little prick. Pinching his nose and wafting his hand in a "peewww you stink!" gesture - unbelievable. I wouldn't expect that from a 9 year old. He's a grown man ffs.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
The report says Rodriguez covered his mouth so the lip reader couldn't clear him, as I pointed out watching the video. He pinches his nose with his hand in front of his mouth.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The report says Rodriguez covered his mouth so the lip reader couldn't clear him, as I pointed out watching the video. He pinches his nose with his hand in front of his mouth.

Knew was he was doing

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
And true to form the WBA morons on Twitter now going after Bong and demanding he be banned for having the temerity to report what he believed to be a racist remark to a referee.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
And true to form the WBA morons on Twitter now going after Bong and demanding he be banned for having the temerity to report what he believed to be a racist remark to a referee.

Gives them something to focus their anger on after a car crash season I suppose. Idiots

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Reading the report in full, I think using the term 'not proven' could give a misleading impression. It doesn't seem to mean in the Scottish way (that is, on balance guilty but not enough evidence to be beyond reasonable doubt). It is because the onus was on the FA to 'prove' the charge, and they didn't. Therefore the charge was 'not proven'.

I would say that actually what they are saying is that they can't tell one way or the other, because the evidence is lacking on both sides. As has been said all along, it comes down to one person's word against another - and with no corroborative evidence it is really hard to see how they could potentially ruin a player's career on that alone.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

A lot of them believe Rodriguez has been cleared, but he hasn't. Not proven means there wasn't enough evidence to prove it. Gaëtan had no reason to make it up.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
A lot of them believe Rodriguez has been cleared, but he hasn't. Not proven means there wasn't enough evidence to prove it. Gaëtan had no reason to make it up.

One thing the report does mention is that Bong said that JR covered his mouth during the encounter. It is very easy to mishear or misunderstand things when you can’t see a persons lips move. Personally I can see how ‘breath ****ing stinks’ could be misheard in those circumstances. I believe both sides - bong heard racism, Rodriguez probably didn’t say anything racist. I’m not saying that anyone made anything up.

Richbaggie

Feb 9, 2018
A pretty inevitable conclusion. Unsatisfactory for either party. Bong will feel aggrieved at what he thought he strongly felt he heard and Rodriguez aggrieved at being accused of something he felt strongly that he didn't say.

Time for both players to move on from the whole sorry episode.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
A pretty inevitable conclusion. Unsatisfactory for either party. Bong will feel aggrieved at what he thought he strongly felt he heard and Rodriguez aggrieved at being accused of something he felt strongly that he didn't say.

Time for both players to move on from the whole sorry episode.

Indeed.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here