Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your favourite Prog Rock Band and album

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Me too. Since buying the Early Years I have practically listened to no other music, and given that Atom Heart Mother is my favourite Floyd I suppose that is my favourite Prog album. I never listened to much else that you would call Prog (Yes, Genesis, etc..) but I do like a bit of Opeth.

Atom Heart Mother is a fabulous album imo too. However I have read that the band themselves think it's a dreadful album :shrug:

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
Blackmore is GOD!

Rainbow Rising would also go on my list, proto prog metal at its skull crushing best.

Roll on June, roll on the ROCK!

Tarot Woman and Stargazer are top tunes. :thumbsup:

My first ever 7" single purchase was Since You've Been Gone when I was 11. I scratched it really badly that night and had to buy it again the following week. Extra royalties for Ritchie. :lolol:

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Lol Kosh I was wondering how soon you'd find this thread :thumbsup:

Wishbone Ash Argus was my favourite album for a few years. I have to confess to having no knowledge of more than 50% of what you posted though...

The funny thing is, at the tender age of 36, I own all of the above as vinyl first pressings... now that IS proper PROG. I'm so prog even my let cat likes May Blitz, for Fruup's sake!

At last count my collection has around 600 1968-76 prog/heavy rock LPs... yes; I am that man.

Heh heh...

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
'Wish You Were Here' Pink Floyd. It's my favourite album :) Love 'Shine On You Crazy Diamond Pt 9' especially.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The funny thing is, at the tender age of 36, I own all of the above as vinyl first pressings... now that IS proper PROG. I'm so prog even my let cat likes May Blitz, for Fruup's sake!

At last count my collection has around 600 1968-76 prog/heavy rock LPs... yes; I am that man.

Heh heh...

Ever feel like you were born 25 years too late? :lolol:

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Tarot Woman and Stargazer are top tunes. :thumbsup:

My first ever 7" single purchase was Since You've Been Gone when I was 11. I scratched it really badly that night and had to buy it again the following week. Extra royalties for Ritchie. :lolol:

Over the years I've come to appreciate the precision and brilliance of Run with the Wolf and even Starstruck - it's a brilliant album!

Off to see Rainbow in Manchester very soon, and I was at Birmingham last year too. Blacker's may not be at his fluid best anymore, but his remaining time is precious to me.

Wouldn't miss it for the world.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Any of the first 4 Marillion Albums, actually their latest album FEAR is very good as well.
Genesis - And then there were three
Rush - Power Windows
Pendragon - Masquerade overture

Last edited:

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
OK I give up, I definitely recognise that sleeve but cannot name the band! Who is it?

Not sure if anyone has answered you yet

It is the back cover of Wind and Wuthering by Genesis the second album after Peter Gabriel left.

maxresdefault.jpg

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
Crickey as a bit of a prog head hard to say what would be my favourite as it changes with my moods day to day sometime hour to hour although I think the album that started this off is probably my favourite Genesis album although they are all pretty good in their way from the first steps with Genesis to Revelation on to Calling All Stations which is a very underrated album in part probably because it does not have Phil Collins on it and by then many assumed was Phil Collins and Genesis not Genesis including Phil Collins.

Rick Wakeman's King Arthur and his Knights of the Round Table is a great offering even if it does lose its way half way through!
Anything by Marrillion but the first 4 are just brilliant have a listen to things like sugar mice and of course market square heroes or Garden Party or even Incommunicado.
More recent stuff Dream Theatre, Opeth, as has been mentioned I think, Mastodon and loads more.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here