Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
image.jpg
Can't blame this one on Women:facepalm:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I wonder how surprised the Doctor will be to wake up and find he's a woman. Will be worth watching the first episode just for that. Does anyone know when it is?

First episode will be Dr Who and her sonic screwdriver, going out after the watershed.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I don't really watch it anymore but I'm sure the Dr can regenerate in the image of anyone he's ever met? No reason why that can't be a lady person.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
They've been experimenting with gender since 2011 when Matt Smith referencing a character as both genders. Missy (at least two gender time-lord) was a breath of fresh air but couldn't save the tiredness of the writing in the last series - it was the only series that I've missed some episodes.
Anyone moaning about gender in a series about a shape shifting alien really is pushing their tired sexism to the extreme.
I'm very much looking forward to Ms Whittaker.

They've been experimenting with gender since 2011 when Matt Smith referencing a character as both genders. Missy (at least two gender time-lord) was a breath of fresh air but couldn't save the tiredness of the writing in the last series - it was the only series that I've missed some episodes.
Anyone moaning about gender in a series about a shape shifting alien really is pushing their tired sexism to the extreme.
I'm very much looking forward to Ms Whittaker.

Captain Jack was, if I recall correctly, openly gay in "Torchwood", not sure if that side of his character came out pre watershed when he first appeared in Dr Who.

I expect the reason why people think changing Dr Who to a woman is stupid is the same reason people would think changing Ripley to a man would be stupid.

The original roles were never written for the other gender. And due to the originals success the essence and image of the character is then set in stone.

Anytime you **** up iconic characters with a change that is not necessary you'll raise the ire of a fanbase.

Perfect example of this is the recent Star Wars and Ghostbusters.

The new Star Wars episode was written to have a female lead in Rey and it worked a treat, the new Ghostbusters tried to take an iconic film and ride on the success of the original but instead turned it into a political statement and made a pile of crap movie instead.

It's the same phenomenon that sees the Americans take classic British TV shows and try and make an American version. The vast majority of which end up a poor lame version of the original.

Sensible point there from the Antipodes, still glad that they have at last "broken the mould" even if only because it pi**es of the "Daily Mail".

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It really doesn't change the nature of Dr Who as the back story is he can regenerate into any humanoid form I think. It makes sense and fits in. I think it's good.
Better than suggestions of a black Bond who was educated at Eton in the 40's and had Scottish parents from 1920's Scotland.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
The formula for sci fi is Harrison Ford type hero and Princess Leia to perve over. The reason is quite simple. Only blokes watch it.

Blokes should never get involved in Clothing discussions, conversations about eye brows, Clarins and Love island. In contrast, the only interest most women should have in Doctor Who is 'Has it finished yet' so some of the feminist tubthumping I'm reading on twitter is bizarre given that a sonic screwdriver is most likely to be identified as a cocktail by most of them.

That all said, I've given up with the latest series and so have the kids. Clearly, im not alone. I might be wrong but my money is on this being a terrible idea.

In all my years on NSC, I am still amazed at some of the neanderthals on here. Thank you for keeping me amazed.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I expect the reason why people think changing Dr Who to a woman is stupid is the same reason people would think changing Ripley to a man would be stupid.

The original roles were never written for the other gender. And due to the originals success the essence and image of the character is then set in stone.

Anytime you **** up iconic characters with a change that is not necessary you'll raise the ire of a fanbase.

The new Star Wars episode was written to have a female lead in Rey and it worked a treat, the new Ghostbusters tried to take an iconic film and ride on the success of the original but instead turned it into a political statement and made a pile of crap movie instead.

It's the same phenomenon that sees the Americans take classic British TV shows and try and make an American version. The vast majority of which end up a poor lame version of the original.

Apart from the fact that Dr who is a gender-free alien, Star Wars was a massive rated hit, and Ghostbusters was a fun reboot, your points are really valid.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Anyone suggesting birds don't watch sci fi must have been living on the moon for a decade or two. I'm not a sci fi fan and even I know ladies are proper into all that shiz.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Sensible point there from the Antipodes, still glad that they have at last "broken the mould" even if only because it pi**es of the "Daily Mail".

The mold didn't need to be broken.

The show has had strong, capable, intelligent female characters in it for a long, long time.

It's as if nobody noticed them over the previous 40 years.

Last edited:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
So what's new about a female doctor with an electric gadget ? ...... just ask El Pres.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003

Yes I agree with your points here, I think the problem will manifest itself in that Doctor Who characters are played for the eccentric behaviour, Tom Baker and Jon Pertwee are classic examples of getting it right as well as the recent popular one Tennant. Where they have failed is where they have come across as Angry(Colin Baker) or silly(Sylvester McCoy).

Women in my view dont do eccentric very well, usually coming across as cranky or odd or scatty. The Ghostbusters examples you use are another example of this.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
To be honest it's not the show for me anymore.

Moffat has made it far too complicated and I was hoping for better once he moved on. Back to basics and a safe pair of hands was needed. However, that was not to be and now I have no motivation to even watch - it simply no longer interests me.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here