Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Bad news for me. Out of the Phoenix. Tested the Achilles today in the Worthing PR. Did 21.33 and struggled in the back half - with the Achilles failing the test as badly as I failed the 11+ in the early 1970s!
Good luck to all the NSC Phoenix contingent - my impression is that there'll be some good times..........................

Sorry to hear about the Achilles. Ice it tonight and get it looked at. We haven't got enough time to wait for injuries to heal themselves. Good luck.
More concerning is this 11+ failure. I took mine in 1970 or 1971. You must have taken yours just after the time we won the World Cup???

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
Maiden Preston Park run today, wasn't pushing too hard but paced it just about right as I didn't have a huge amount left. I reckon I finished in about 19:45 but this is where the story comes in.

I didn't realise you had to veer left at the finish so I continued past the cafe and down the hill. Kept thinking to myself surely the finish line is near the cafe and at 3.18 miles according to Garmin it dawned on me I'd overshot the runway.

Still good prep for Wednesday. No more running now until then and plenty of foam rolling.

Sub 40 seems unlikely I would imagine 40:30 seems realistic depending on conditions.

Done that one a few times, usually the marshals are good there. Well done and hope the hammy is ok

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
Bad news for me. Out of the Phoenix. Tested the Achilles today in the Worthing PR. Did 21.33 and struggled in the back half - with the Achilles failing the test as badly as I failed the 11+ in the early 1970s!
Good luck to all the NSC Phoenix contingent - my impression is that there'll be some good times..........................

Bloody Hell! Mates been running on a damaged one for over a year but has had tests to prove it won't damage it more. Best getting it checked out though.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Sorry to hear about the Achilles. Ice it tonight and get it looked at. We haven't got enough time to wait for injuries to heal themselves. Good luck.
More concerning is this 11+ failure. I took mine in 1970 or 1971. You must have taken yours just after the time we won the World Cup???

Yes - you are right. It was O levels that I failed in the early 70s! The 11+ was indeed in 1966. But am defo out of Wednesday's event.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Bloody Hell! Mates been running on a damaged one for over a year but has had tests to prove it won't damage it more. Best getting it checked out though.

Well done on your run. Suspect your mate is

a) a lot harder than me, and............
b) a bit further from the knackers yard!

I'm getting to the stage where the stairs are beginning to look and feel very steep and a bungalow is a very attractive prospect. Enjoy your golden run of form..............

Cheers

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Fantastic result! What's the course like?

Thank you.

It's two laps of Stoke Park, 50/50 mix of paths and grass. The course is undulating with four distinct uphill sections per lap, but with the bonus of a nice run downhill past Old Guildfordians clubhouse to the finish for a good sprint finish.

I've heard parkrun tourists describe it as 'challenging'.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Set myself a little challenge here on the ship of doing at least 10k a day for the whole of July. Mostly on the treadmill, but I do sometimes manage to get off. The other evening I went for a nice steady run along the water front in Venice.
Anyway, I was on the treadmill last night & felt good, the view was beautiful out of the window as were sailing from Kotor, Montenegro, so I kept going. Ended up doing a half marathon in 1:45:36.
Is this a decent time for a 55 year old? (I know treadmill times aren't that reliable).

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Set myself a little challenge here on the ship of doing at least 10k a day for the whole of July. Mostly on the treadmill, but I do sometimes manage to get off. The other evening I went for a nice steady run along the water front in Venice.
Anyway, I was on the treadmill last night & felt good, the view was beautiful out of the window as were sailing from Kotor, Montenegro, so I kept going. Ended up doing a half marathon in 1:45:36.
Is this a decent time for a 55 year old? (I know treadmill times aren't that reliable).

8" mile pace 13.1 miles is a good training run at any age. Didn't Jesus cure you from Achilles problems? Maybe you could tell [MENTION=33116]Garry Nelson's teacher[/MENTION]

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Hi Knocky, yes he really helped me. Sorry for Judy but any future niggles will be treated up at Corals!
My running is going really well, can't thank him enough.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Hell yes !

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

that's great for a treadmill on water, bet there were pools of sweat either side!!

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
Thank you.

It's two laps of Stoke Park, 50/50 mix of pathsr and grass. The course is undulating with four distinct uphill sections per lap, but with the bonus of a nice run downhill past Old Guildfordians clubhouse to the finish for a good sprint finish.

I've heard parkrun tourists describe it as 'challenging'.

Yep challenging sounds right and a PB that will be smashed at other venues.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
9 miles or so on the SDW this morning, blimey it was like November. Steady drizzle, strong wind and almost no visibility. Love running in the summer !

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
that's great for a treadmill on water, bet there were pools of sweat either side!!

Not so bad actually. The worst thing is the treadmill is placed "athwart-ships", which as those with nautical knowledge will know means horizontally, in line with port to starboard, or vice versa. So when the ship turns either way it can mean a sudden incline or decline. Rough sea it's not worth it, just risking injury as you really can't tell which angle you're going to land on.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Visiting friend in St Leonard's on 30th July, so running in Hasting's Parkrun. Will be going for a full out time assault on a course with only one turn. Have invited [MENTION=24975]St Leonards Seagull[/MENTION] to come along for a pacer. If anyone else up for it, come along. Is it near enough for [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION]?

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
Visiting friend in St Leonard's on 30th July, so running in Hasting's Parkrun. Will be going for a full out time assault on a course with only one turn. Have invited [MENTION=24975]St Leonards Seagull[/MENTION] to come along for a pacer. If anyone else up for it, come along. Is it near enough for [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION]?

I have just looked at my off duty, will be finishing a run of nights at 7:30 that morning. I'm not sure I'll be up for much. I will try to come and stagger around, I'm not sure I'll keep with you though.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I have just looked at my off duty, will be finishing a run of nights at 7:30 that morning. I'm not sure I'll be up for much. I will try to come and stagger around, I'm not sure I'll keep with you though.

When at school I got a summer job 12 hours night shift. Certainly would not have run in the morning. Be good to see you again but understand if you fall asleep instead.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here