Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I live in Germany and have been humbled by the Germans response. It hasn't been good riddance or worries about the future of the EU or economy. They are more upset that they have lost us because we are a nation they admired for our culture, way of life and sense of humour .
Complete opposite to the French:lolol:

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
… or was the bar set too low to account for a rounding error?

Would we get the same result in another referendum held just next Thursday?

Should the requirement to change the status quo have been greater- 55%, 60% or whatever?

Is this mandate to quit the EU with all the incredible implications really valid?
The Welsh assembly referendum in 1997 had a turnout of 50% and voted in favour of the assembly by 50.3% to 49.7%. I don't recall a campaign to say it was invalid and unfair due to the turnout and closeness of the result.

Could it be that people only find elections unfair when they don't get what they want?

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Perhaps now is the time for the phoenix to rise from the ashes, with British cars for example, we have the skills and the knowledge, BMW, VAG and Mercedes, can do one.
Now wouldn't that be great the limit is endless now.
This country really should be building British cars again in numbers and how's the time to get things moving :)

Scotchegg

Sep 1, 2014
Brighton
A Prime Minister resigned. The £ plummeted. The FTSE 100 lost significant ground. But then the £ rallied past February levels, and the FTSE closed on a weekly high: 2.4% up on last Friday, its best performance in 4 months. President Obama decided we wouldn't be at the 'back of the queue' after all and that our 'special relationship' was still strong. The French President confirmed the Le Touquet agreement would stay in place. The President of the European Commission stated Brexit negations would be 'orderly' and stressed the UK would continue to be a 'close partner' of the EU. A big bank denied reports it would shift 2,000 staff overseas. The CBI, vehemently anti-Brexit during the referendum campaign, stated British business was resilient and would adapt. Several countries outside the EU stated they wished to begin bi-lateral trade talks with the UK immediately. If this was the predicted apocalypse, well, it was a very British one. It was all over by teatime. Not a bad first day of freedom.

This is probably the most intensely deluded thing I've read during this whole brexit fallout and that's really saying something. The £ rallied nowhere mate and that's just for starters. Brexit is a mistake of gigantic proportions, the whole world knows it, bar 52% of the turnout on Thursday and a couple of right wing fruitcake politicians from America. When trump and Palin support your decision making, you know you've done ****ed up.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
The public have spoken, end. The result is deeply unpalatable to me, but it stands. The people I am most angry with are the 13 million who could not be bothered to either get out of their armchair and actually express their preference, or take a little time to learn about the issues so that they had a preference. Maybe the direction of their life for the next 30 years was not important enough to worry about. People get the government that they deserve.

But before too much complacency seeps into the minds of the victors, they should think very long and hard about why the more educated half of the population almost universally voted to stay in. Worrying times ahead........

D

Deleted member 2719

This country really should be building British cars again in numbers and how's the time to get things moving :)

Britain voted brand Britain, let's buy British if the EU countries are not going to give us decent trade deals.

I hope the new PM has Balls, male or female.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
attachment.php

I thought this was interesting and supports the OP's argument.
thanks I have got 31 more years to watch Brighton I may see my last ambition brighton in the European cup which we nearly made it but poor old smith shot hit Baileys legs. Bad shot or good save or should have Robinson finished it or was he knackered.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Maddest reasons to leave

What's the maddest reason to leave the EU you've heard.
Mine are,
The EU wants to ban Christmas and Easter
The EU gave subsidies to farmers, instead of grants to keep public toilets open

And these people both had votes:ffsparr:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I'm sure you could gather enough to fill an entire book. Wouldn't be a fun read though.

Weatherman

Jun 10, 2008
To all the disgusted and ashamed posters and the ones who call us little Englanders.

Just remember that there are still many of the population around who were conned in to voting this country into the EU in the first place. It was a vote to enter a common market with no mention of sovereignty or law making.being handed over to this beaurocratic dictatorship.
Just remember there are many still alive who lost relatives in the war. Many of those killed were just teenagers . my great aunt lost both her young sons.,Tthese men and boys. British, Irish, Polish, Indian, Canadians and French resistance thought they were fighting to save sovereignty and democracy and it was appaling that what they died for was for nothing as power was just handed over anyway.
So maybe you should be disgusted and ashamed - with yourselves.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
There are the folk who voted 'Leave' to give the establishment a kick up the backside.

The problem is that some did it thinking that 'Leave' couldn't actually win.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
As much as I am pissed off with this result, it has to stand.

What should have been stated is that to leave, the requirement should have been to achieve over 50% of the electorate, ie to change the status quo you need to have the support of a majority of those eligible to vote. I don't agree that you could set a higher bar of 55 or 60% of votes.

We have a system where our country can be run by a government chosen by only a quarter of the electorate. My own view is that voting is not a right, it is a responsibility and should be mandatory. People shouldn't need to register, it should be done automatically. Voting should of course involve the option of 'none of the above'.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Lots. My 3 favourites were:

1. The EU is entirely run by France & Germany
2. The EU is probably involved in a complicit conspiracy with the Catholic church.
3. The EU has never issued a grant to fund anything in The UK

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here