Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

10,000 dogs and puppies to be eaten on Sunday in China

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
There is a particular amount of emotion around the treatment of dogs because of the function that they play in our society. Aside from being loyal pets and an important part of many families, there are working dogs, guide dogs and sniffer dogs etc. In essence, culturally, dogs play a role on our society that many other animals do not.

That's right. OUR society. So I'd happily agree that eating dogs in this country would offend many and is thus an unreasonable food choice here. I understand some people would KILL others for doing so. It's emotive in the UK.

However, that is not the case in Korean society or Chinese society. If they want to eat dogs, they are welcome to do so. All I'd ask is that they were treated humanely, but I'd say that about any animal across the globe being raised for food.

I have stated my position with Good grace
Yes, nothing screams good grace more than "if anyone ate a dog I'd KILL them" or calling the entire Chinese nation by association "utter scum".

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I really wish the British would get as upset about child abuse as we do about animal abuse. Only last year, Bolivia reduced the legal age a child could work to 10. It's basically a sop to businesses that rely on child slavery. Where's the world-wide outrage?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Or we could talk about girls as young as five in Mauritania force-fed huge amounts of goat fat and camel milk and being forced to eat their vomit if they're sick. These girls are kept like veal calves as obesity is seen as desirable in a wife for that culture. The girls are then married off as young as 11 years old where some have been known to die on their wedding night having a grown man force himself upon them. Someone please point me to the celebrity-led campaign to stop these abuses.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You say that as if EVERYONE has this apparent special bond with dogs, which of course is complete nonsense. I can't stand dogs, so my opinion of them is VERY different to yours.

Maybe the Chinese fellas are 'just playing'?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I really wish the British would get as upset about child abuse as we do about animal abuse. Only last year, Bolivia reduced the legal age a child could work to 10. It's basically a sop to businesses that rely on child slavery. Where's the world-wide outrage?

Or we could talk about girls as young as five in Mauritania force-fed huge amounts of goat fat and camel milk and being forced to eat their vomit if they're sick. These girls are kept like veal calves as obesity is seen as desirable in a wife for that culture. The girls are then married off as young as 11 years old where some have been known to die on their wedding night having a grown man force himself upon them. Someone please point me to the celebrity-led campaign to stop these abuses.

abuse against any living thing is an abomination ........................I really should have been a Buddist

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I hate dogs and cats.

I hate dog shit lying around which isn’t picked up (Funny, never met a dog owner who admits to leaving it lying around, they must be loads of them given the sheer quantity of shit in my local woods). If you want to own a dog the quid pro quo is that you pick up a steaming, warm, stinking turd and dispose of it accordingly.
I hate dogs that run over to my kids and owners who say ‘He’s friendly’ when they own a dog as tall as a 4 year old who is rightly scared of an animal legging it up to him at full speed. Put them on a lead. The reason why he is friendly to you, is that you feed him steaks and throw him sticks. That isn’t the case for everyone and small kids, quite righty, are scared of animals bigger than them running up to them at full pelt.
I hate dogs that are in the house all day when their owners go to work. They bark at the postmen, They bark at the bin men, they bark at car alarms, they bark at people walking past. Chill out FFS and stop driving me insane.
I hate people houses who own cats or dogs and the dank stink that comes out of them.
I hate people that expect me to like their pets and act like I’m the strange one when I say I don’t like animals. Animals and kids are like farts – You only like your own.
I hate cats that shit in my garden and leave it for the kids to play with.

Funnily enough, I don’t mind if the Chinese wish to eat them.

I hate dogs and cats.

I hate dog shit lying around which isn’t picked up (Funny, never met a dog owner who admits to leaving it lying around, they must be loads of them given the sheer quantity of shit in my local woods). If you want to own a dog the quid pro quo is that you pick up a steaming, warm, stinking turd and dispose of it accordingly.
I hate dogs that run over to my kids and owners who say ‘He’s friendly’ when they own a dog as tall as a 4 year old who is rightly scared of an animal legging it up to him at full speed. Put them on a lead. The reason why he is friendly to you, is that you feed him steaks and throw him sticks. That isn’t the case for everyone and small kids, quite righty, are scared of animals bigger than them running up to them at full pelt.
I hate dogs that are in the house all day when their owners go to work. They bark at the postmen, They bark at the bin men, they bark at car alarms, they bark at people walking past. Chill out FFS and stop driving me insane.
I hate people houses who own cats or dogs and the dank stink that comes out of them.
I hate people that expect me to like their pets and act like I’m the strange one when I say I don’t like animals. Animals and kids are like farts – You only like your own.

I love dogs and cats.

I too don't mind if they want to eat them.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I hate dogs and cats.

:lolol: :clap2: Can't argue with any of that.

Also, I hate having dogs in my F***ING office.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
If people weren't so ignorant about the role dogs have played in the advancement of humans in countless fields from theatres of war to scientific exploration to bringing solace to the loneliest of souls to saving countless lives they might be slightly less likely to dismiss them in the way some on here have. It shows the incurable ignorance of some people.

But no, a dog should not be in an office. Not least of all because it has a massively detrimental effect on a dog's mental wellbeing.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
I hate dogs and cats.

You've done a great job at condemning the owners rather than the animals there.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If people weren't so ignorant about the role dogs have played in the advancement of humans in countless fields from theatres of war to scientific exploration to bringing solace to the loneliest of souls to saving countless lives they might be slightly less likely to dismiss them in the way some on here have. It shows the incurable ignorance of some people.

But no, a dog should not be in an office. Not least of all because it has a massively detrimental effect on a dog's mental wellbeing.

The only ignorant one here is you, because it seems you haven't bothered reading the thread. I'd say most people on here defending the rights of others to eat dogs are talking specifically about cultures alien to ours (the Chinese in this case), where perhaps dogs haven't played this important role in the advancement of humans.

I wouldn't advocate the right to eat dogs in this country because we are a nation where a large chunk of the population have an affinity to dogs. That's enough for me to say it should be illegal here. But this idea we should thrust our ideals of what is right to eat on other nations smacks of colonialism.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I hate dogs and cats.

I told a dog to "Fck off" the other week. His owner went mental at me.

I'd just heard some really horrible news, so I was not in a good place, and I'd gone out for a bit of fresh air. I was walking across the park, hands in pockets, looking down at the ground, when I happened to glance up to see a dog - a decent sized red setter - five yards away, galloping straight at me at full pelt, ears back, tongue flapping. As it leapt up at me, I swayed out of the way, like a startled batsman, evading a huge furry bouncer, and shouted "Fck Off!". More an exclamation of surprise than an actually command, tbh, but the owner of the beast was FUMING.

How DARE I talk to his dog like that.

Reasoning with him, that it probably didn't understand, didn't seem to assage him, either.

It 'didn't mean any harm, and there was no reason to over-react'.

I asked him if it would be fair to 'over-react' if it had been one of my kids it had leapt at.

He told me I was a Tw4T, asked if I was 'from Portsmouth' (which made me laugh, making him even angrier).

Then he told me he'd bring his German Shepherd next time.

:shrug:

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
You've done a great job at condemning the owners rather than the animals there.

You are indeed correct. Taking, however, the point about leaving the dog at home, the other side of that coin is falling down type posts from [MENTION=6625]Badger[/MENTION] about people who take their dogs to work. Unless you are retired or work at home, It's a difficult set of circumstances where it's fair to own a dog without upsetting your work colleagues or neighbours.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Guide Dogs
War Dogs
Therapy dogs
Search & Rescue dogs (saved millions of lives)
Detection dogs
Bomb dogs
Cadaver dogs
Company for old people
Aiding rehab

Yeah, what shit things dogs are. Scum.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here