Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

JFC called up for England u21's, Walton for u20's

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Will do wonders for their morale and confidence. I think it may be smart to send Walton out on loan till January to an L1/2 club, when the FA Cup 3rd round starts, on the basis of how well he done, then put him in the starting line up if it's a lower league opposition.

peterward

NSC Patreon
Nov 11, 2009
Great news for JFC under Gareth Southgates modern passing philosphy.

But as for walton and the U20's, why oh why oh why did the FA decide to appoint "stick it in the cage" failed long ball advocate Aidy Boothroyd?, who failed everywhere he went after Watford and was sacked after Northampton were rock bottom of the football league.

For all the talk of B leagues or coaches to improve our game, how the hell can the FA appoint hoofball Boothroyd to guide the best English 18-20's????

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/mar/08/football-association-fa-england-under-20s-steven-gerrard

http://sportontap.com/2014/03/07/aidy-boothroyd-england-u20-manager-reflects-poorly-fa/

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Excellent news, well done to the pair of them :clap2:

Brilliant for JFC that as a player considered only "league 1 at best" (the LAZIEST criticism of a player in the world by the way) he is being recognised internationally :wink:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
This can't be correct, thought he was bobbins and only good for league 1 at a push. Surely some of the wisdom on here can't be wrong.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Great news. March would presumably be in there too if he was fit. With March, Walton, JFC, Dunk and Ince, we've got a really good group of young English players coming through. Very exciting!

sneakychef

Oct 28, 2004
Stroud Green
Great news for JFC under Gareth Southgates modern passing philosphy.

But as for walton and the U20's, why oh why oh why did the FA decide to appoint "stick it in the cage" failed long ball advocate Aidy Boothroyd?, who failed everywhere he went after Watford and was sacked after Northampton were rock bottom of the football league.

For all the talk of B leagues or coaches to improve our game, how the hell can the FA appoint hoofball Boothroyd to guide the best English 18-20's????

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/mar/08/football-association-fa-england-under-20s-steven-gerrard

http://sportontap.com/2014/03/07/aidy-boothroyd-england-u20-manager-reflects-poorly-fa/

Well thankfully it's only our 'keeper in the u20s as in a Boothroyd side he'll probably have a lot to do - all the more experience.

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
JFC will probably get injured, and half the lot on here will moan that we will miss him and we have no chance without him.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Will do wonders for their morale and confidence. I think it may be smart to send Walton out on loan till January to an L1/2 club, when the FA Cup 3rd round starts, on the basis of how well he done, then put him in the starting line up if it's a lower league opposition.
I would also send Walton out on loan but with the option of an instant recall if need be.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Excellent news, well done to the pair of them :clap2:

Brilliant for JFC that as a player considered only "league 1 at best" (the LAZIEST criticism of a player in the world by the way) he is being recognised internationally :wink:

Congratulations to him but as we have seen a place in an England youth team doesn't guarantee a future at the highest level

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Congratulations to him but as we have seen a place in an England youth team doesn't guarantee a future at the highest level

Of course it doesn't, I'm not suggesting that he will become a top premier league player and win 50+ caps for the country but it is however another step on the road of his career and a positive one at that. He's already been called up before, surely its a good sign that Southgate has the trust in his ability to include him once again.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Of course it doesn't, I'm not suggesting that he will become a top premier league player and win 50+ caps for the country but it is however another step on the road of his career and a positive one at that. He's already been called up before, surely its a good sign that Southgate has the trust in his ability to include him once again.

I agree it is a good that he has been called up but I was referring to the fact that you suggest that this means he isn't "L1 at best" because of that

Dec 29, 2011

He's actually pretty decent at U21 level. I'm yet to be convinced about his effectiveness in our team though. Whether this is due to quality of opposition or due to his role in each team remains to be seen.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I agree it is a good that he has been called up but I was referring to the fact that you suggest that this means he isn't "L1 at best" because of that

Granted, a call up isn't a seal of quality but three successive Brighton managers have shown faith in him to play at this level and we are a higher end championship side. That's good enough for me. He is still young and is only getting better, do we really expect him to be bossing games at just 20 years old?

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
He's actually pretty decent at U21 level. I'm yet to be convinced about his effectiveness in our team though. Whether this is due to quality of opposition or due to his role in each team remains to be seen.

When I've seen him play for the U21s he has been played further forward than he is with us, which I think is the role he prefers to play. I wouldn't have him down as a starter at the moment either, but I'm very happy for him to get game time and hopefully develop into the player we all hope he can be.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Just to put it into context, this is the squad

ENGLAND U21 SQUAD: Goalkeepers - Jonathan Bond (Watford), Jack Butland (Stoke City); defenders - Tyler Blackett (Manchester United), Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur), Luke Garbutt (Everton), Michael Keane (Manchester United), Jamaal Lascelles (Newcastle United, on loan to Nottingham Forest), Liam Moore (Leicester City), Jack Robinson (Liverpool); midfielders - Tom Carroll (Tottenham Hotspur, on loan to Swansea City), Nathaniel Chalobah (Chelsea), Jake Forster-Caskey (Brighton & Hove Albion), Will Hughes (Derby County), James Ward-Prowse (Southampton); forwards - Saido Berahino (West Bromwich Albion), Tom Ince (Hull City), Danny Ings (Burnley), Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Alex Pritchard (Tottenham Hotspur, on loan at Brentford), Nathan Redmond (Norwich City), Cauley Woodrow (Fulham).

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
Just to put it into context, this is the squad

ENGLAND U21 SQUAD: Goalkeepers - Jonathan Bond (Watford), Jack Butland (Stoke City); defenders - Tyler Blackett (Manchester United), Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur), Luke Garbutt (Everton), Michael Keane (Manchester United), Jamaal Lascelles (Newcastle United, on loan to Nottingham Forest), Liam Moore (Leicester City), Jack Robinson (Liverpool); midfielders - Tom Carroll (Tottenham Hotspur, on loan to Swansea City), Nathaniel Chalobah (Chelsea), Jake Forster-Caskey (Brighton & Hove Albion), Will Hughes (Derby County), James Ward-Prowse (Southampton); forwards - Saido Berahino (West Bromwich Albion), Tom Ince (Hull City), Danny Ings (Burnley), Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Alex Pritchard (Tottenham Hotspur, on loan at Brentford), Nathan Redmond (Norwich City), Cauley Woodrow (Fulham).

This shows we need to hold on to our young talent, as it all seems to end up in the premier league top teams reserves

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here