Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex By The Sea

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
This one just goes around. And around. And around…

Modernise the words? Sure. And while you're at it, how about updating Abide with Me? Or jazzing up Jerusalem? Why not? Because the emotional appeal of those songs is totally bound up with their beautifully archaic language.

Don't put words up on the screens because of possible ridicule from other fans? Who cares – there simply is no more instantly effective way of getting those unique lyrics simultaneously in front of 20,000-plus faces.

Let's not kid ourselves, we're never going to be singing all five verses at the Amex. But learning just the first verse, plus chorus and refrain is easily manageable for anyone with real pride in our Sussex Heritage.

Well said.

IMO putting up the words would be an excellent idea.

After all, if we can have shit adverts for selling off tat from the club shop going on during the game, I'm sure we can have the words to GOSBTS on the big screens before the game.

Dec 29, 2011
Well said.

IMO putting up the words would be an excellent idea.

After all, if we can have shit adverts for selling off tat from the club shop going on during the game, I'm sure we can have the words to GOSBTS on the big screens before the game.

Wasn't there a game one or two years ago the words were put on the screen, only for them to stop it the match after?

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Wasn't there a game one or two years ago the words were put on the screen, only for them to stop it the match after?

Don't remember that.

I do remember the excellent attempt to get fans to sing though by flashing up things like SEAGULLS whenever we had a corner.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Yes, and that was shit.

Very different having GOSBTS on the screens when the team comes out. Just my opinion.

Do you think it would actually work though? Didn't the infamous clappers for the Palace game have the lyrics printed on them? If not those ones, the ones that were used for the Stockport game at Withdean the day we stayed up certainly did and I can't recall anybody bothering to sing along to the proper words

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Do you think it would actually work though? Didn't the infamous clappers for the Palace game have the lyrics printed on them? If not those ones, the ones that were used for the Stockport game at Withdean the day we stayed up certainly did and I can't recall anybody bothering to sing along to the proper words

Yes I do.

I

Poppett63

Jul 16, 2011
GOSBTS is the only song I can think of with a chorus And refrain. We are the only County with an anthem. Sing it loud and proud. There is a certain synergy with "now let your heart be gay" as only BHA fans can sing that in the face of the bigots with real Sussex Pride and Brighton Pride as well

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
GOSBTS is the only song I can think of with a chorus And refrain. We are the only County with an anthem. Sing it loud and proud. There is a certain synergy with "now let your heart be gay" as only BHA fans can sing that in the face of the bigots with real Sussex Pride and Brighton Pride as well

Don't forget that we have a Sussex Carol too. We should sing that at games around Christmas.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Unfortunately I suspect the average Albion fan can't be arsed to learn the words hence my suggestion for putting the first two verses in the matchday programme. I can't see why this couldn't be done, it would only take up half a page and as others have said on this and many other similar threads on the subject, it's part of our DNA as a club and of being Sussex so it would be entirely appropriate. In fact I'm going to suggest it to the club.

I would say the average fan doesn't buy a match day programme!, and even if they did I can't see most people standing there singing from something held in their hands.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

Yes I do.

I

Loads were singing all of SBTS as the teams came out for the Palace game.

I reckon I'm the only person currently singing it in WSU H each week!

Screen or recorded tenor geezer for me.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Here you go, only took me one minute to find. Feel free to print and learn. I won't even charge.

1st verse
Now is the time for marching, Now let your hearts be gay,
Hark to the merry bugles Sounding along our way.
So let your voices ring, my boys, And take the time from me,
And I’ll sing you a song as we march along,
Of Sussex by the Sea!

Chorus
For We're the men from Sussex, Sussex by the Sea.
We plough and sow and reap and mow,
And useful men are we;
And when you go to Sussex, Whoever you may be,
You may tell them all that we stand or fall
For Sussex by the Sea!

Refrain
Oh Sussex, Sussex by the Sea!
Good old Sussex by the Sea!
You may tell them all we stand or fall,
For Sussex by the Sea.

2nd verse
Up in the morning early, Start at the break of day;
March till the evening shadows Tell us it's time to stay.
We're always moving on, my boys, So take the time from me,
And sing this song as we march along,
Of Sussex by the Sea.

Chorus & Refrain

3rd verse
Sometimes your feet are weary, Sometimes the way is long,
Sometimes the day is dreary, Sometimes the world goes wrong;
But if you let your voices ring, Your care will fly away,
So we'll sing a song as we march along,
Of Sussex by the Sea.

Chorus & Refrain

4th verse
Light is the love of a soldier, That's what the ladies say -
Lightly he goes a wooing, Lightly he rides away.
In love and war we always are As fair as fair can be,
And a soldier boy is the ladies’ joy
In Sussex by the Sea.

Chorus & Refrain

5th verse
Far o'er the seas we wander, Wide thro’ the world we roam;
Far from the kind hearts yonder, Far from our dear old home;
But ne'er shall we forget, my boys, And true we'll ever be
To the girls so kind that we left behind
In Sussex by the Sea.

Chorus & Refrain

I vote to have those lyrics engraved by hand on the backs of each seat.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Loads were singing all of SBTS as the teams came out for the Palace game.

I reckon I'm the only person currently singing it in WSU H each week!

Screen or recorded tenor geezer for me.

Me and my lad sing it as team come out every week in WSU H.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
How unthinkable of fans to want to alter the lyrics of a song to fit the circumstances better.

We should all be singing "We are Sailing" not "We are Brighton"

If the the original song had any real relevance today, we would all know it, stuff it, it is archaic, make it fit for today, you luddites.

If thou disagrees thou shouldst drop thine London affected accent and endeavour to return thine tone to a Sussex one, at least whilst singing about your gay heart.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
We're the men from Sussex
Sussex by the sea!

Let's start by all singing the second verse.

I find this is best done after half-time. Before the start of the first half any singing of the second verse gets drowned out by Simon Le Bon reading out the team sheets.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Ner ner ner ner ner ner ner
Ner ner ner ner ner ner
Ner ner ner ner ner ner ner
Ner ner ner ner ner ner
Ner ner ner ner ner ner ner ner
Ner ner ner ner ner ner
Ner ner ner ner ner ner ner ner ner ner
Sussex by the sea

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
We're the men from Sussex
Sussex by the sea!

Let's start by all singing the second verse.

I find this is best done after half-time. Before the start of the first half any singing of the second verse gets drowned out by Simon Le Bon reading out the team sheets.

Yep could be good suggestion but that verse sounds too agricultural "We plough and sow and reap and mow" :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here