Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No Carlton Cole thread...?

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Fair enough.

So Palace didn't intentionally "leave a space" they just had a space.

Every day is a school day.

They did in as much as they released a player they would have had to have named in the squad so they had space. Kleton Perntreou, he was a reserve keeper.

This is the rule on contracted players:
Clubs do not have to name a full squad of 25 if they do not have that many contracted players and in this case they can add free agents outside the transfer window. However if they have 25 eligible contracted players, they must be named.

We would have had to have released 2 players (or got them loans) in order to leave space in the squad.

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
I'm sure they have to get some special permission from the FA as the squad has been named and the deadline has passed.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You have to presume that Palace's 25th spot was expected to be filled by Oumar Niasse, but for the deal collapsing after the transfer deadline.

Yeah what sort of club would leave it that late in the day, they didn't even get an extension did they? :smile:

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
It's probably a bigger shock actually playing for Palarse, given their 'nil punt' pantomime issues.
Indonesian football must be a better prospect than pony n trap football :)

Actually, I'd say playing in Bandung was pretty good preparation for playing at Selhurst. Here's a couple of pictures I took at a Persib home game a couple of years ago. Similar level of tinpottery.

DSCN0636.jpg

DSCN0624.jpg

DSCN0610.jpg

DSCN0613.jpg

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Actually, I'd say playing in Bandung was pretty good preparation for playing at Selhurst. Here's a couple of pictures I took at a Persib home game a couple of years ago. Similar level of tinpottery.

DSCN0636.jpg

DSCN0624.jpg

DSCN0610.jpg

DSCN0613.jpg

Is that bloke in yellow at the table playing backgammon?

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
As I said before Hemed's ban, I'm not going to laugh at Palace's striker issue when we're in exactly the same boat.

There's something bizarre that our two clubs, awash with Premier League millions, both find themselves without an available senior striker before September is even out, but at least they left a squad place free so they could look at bringing in a free agent.

Hindsight is great but with it looking very unlikely that Jiri Skalak is going to feature, could we not have done the same?

Palace don't have a single player that can play up front apparently, and their youth strikers are SO bad that they are considering Carlton Cole over promoting a youth striker :lolol:

We at least have SOME options to play up front, palace have ... none.

I would play Skalak up front over Carlton ****ing Cole

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Palace don't have a single player that can play up front apparently, and their youth strikers are SO bad that they are considering Carlton Cole over promoting a youth striker :lolol:

We at least have SOME options to play up front, palace have ... none.

I would play Skalak up front over Carlton ****ing Cole[/QUOTE]

That is very debatable and I wouldnt go as far as to say I would definitely do it.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
That is very debatable and I wouldnt go as far as to say I would definitely do it.

You would rather play an old, overweight, unfit striker that hasn't scored a professional goal for a ridiculous amount of time, that probably doesn't give a shit what happens so long as he gets paid, over a player that would probably be chomping at the bit to score a goal in the PL to make their name? I would play literally anybody in our 25 man squad over Carlton Cole up front.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
It will take him the six weeks that Benteke is off to get up to full match fitness, but if in that time he makes a few last 30 minute appearances and scores a goal or two it will have been worthwhile for them. They haven't really got anything to lose have they?

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
It will take him the six weeks that Benteke is off to get up to full match fitness, but if in that time he makes a few last 30 minute appearances and scores a goal or two it will have been worthwhile for them. They haven't really got anything to lose have they?

Against who? What defence in this league is actually shit enough to let in a Carlton Cole goal? I guess he could score an own goal...

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
A bit of disrespect for Carlton Cole on this thread, he's a West Ham legend and was a fine player in his day.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] Although the 2 situations look similar (and are) the key difference is the form of the team this has come on top of. Palace have (as we are aware) had a poor start to the season, so this is the turd icing on a shit cake. The Albion have had a decent start, and despite not getting the striker target(s) we were after we've scored goals, got points and losing Hemed doesn't feel so much like a disaster, more a chance to shuffle the pack a bit and get Brown / Izquierdo into the action.
Agree with this, especially with the Arsenal game, where we will not be expected to achieve much anyway and will probably spend a good deal of time defending. Might be nice to have Brown or Izquierdo playing with a bit of pace just in case there's a break but some midfield knowhow as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here