Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Minutes applause

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I know today's was important, but please let that be the last. In a game like that, I just don't think it's helpful, or anywhere near a fitting tribute as all are on the edge of their seats. God forbid what happens when we concede during one.

You're either a troll or a massive ****

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Honestly, Dad wasn't a fan of the concept of the minute's applause for the very reason mentioned by the OP. For the family it was bloody INCREDIBLE though, and I wouldn't have changed it for much, other than the obvious. A standing ovation from 30,000 is fine recognition for the work he did to enable the whole event in the first place though.

Dan

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I thought it was glorious, well done the club and especially well done the fans.
It was as if every Brighton fan knew who Ed was, maybe they did.
It must have been very heartwarming for Roz and the family.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Honestly, Dad wasn't a fan of the concept of the minute's applause for the very reason mentioned by the OP. For the family it was bloody INCREDIBLE though, and I wouldn't have changed it for much, other than the obvious. A standing ovation from 30,000 is fine recognition for the work he did to enable the whole event in the first place though.

Dan

We are all so proud and appreciative of everything your dad did over so many years.

Put simply, no Ed Bassford = no Albion = no Falmer = no Premier League football

Ed was our best ever player who never actually played.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
I know today's was important, but please let that be the last. In a game like that, I just don't think it's helpful, or anywhere near a fitting tribute as all are on the edge of their seats. God forbid what happens when we concede during one.

Piss off. Just piss right off. Idiot

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005

Dan

Maybe I was a bit too quick to start a debate on the rights/wrongs of a minutes applause, and apologies if I've come across as disrespectful.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

Dan

It was a fitting tribute for your Dad. There will be many, many millions now aware of the amazing work he did to help save our club.

Keep you chin up fella.

:)

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

You are our first premier league cockwomble.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

I think you've made a massive misjudgement there mate. It was a great and fully deserved tribute and more important than any one match.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I think the point he made is that it isn't fitting in every case but I don't think that anyone who understands who Ed was would have any problem with it. Others have said all that needs saying, [MENTION=600]Bry Nylon[/MENTION] said it best - "Ed was our best ever player who never actually played". He deserved that kind of recognition from our supporters. It was a just and fitting tribute.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Maybe I was a bit too quick to start a debate on the rights/wrongs of a minutes applause, and apologies if I've come across as disrespectful.
No worries. I certainly don't think the criticism is disrespectful. It's a tricky situation - doing something during play is always going to be open to events on the pitch. So what do you do? Something at half time would be missed by many. A pre-match minute's silence is the other option, but that's weird for the opposition players and fans.

I don't know what the right answer is. If it had been an Albion goal everyone would be saying how fitting it was. If there'd been a dull minute in midfield it would be fine. As it is, Dad would feel vindicated that he was right (as always!) that these things are silly. We're just glad he wasn't 70! [emoji6]

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

I would just slip away and stop trying to ingratiate yourself on us...it looks a bit desparate to be honest.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
No worries. I certainly don't think the criticism is disrespectful. It's a tricky situation - doing something during play is always going to be open to events on the pitch. So what do you do? Something at half time would be missed by many. A pre-match minute's silence is the other option, but that's weird for the opposition players and fans.

I don't know what the right answer is. If it had been an Albion goal everyone would be saying how fitting it was. If there'd been a dull minute in midfield it would be fine. As it is, Dad would feel vindicated that he was right (as always!) that these things are silly. We're just glad he wasn't 70! [emoji6]

Blimey - talk about a chip of the old block!

I hope you're going to stick about.

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patreon
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
I mentioned on another thread that the NBC commentator actually gave the reason why the minutes applause and recognized Ed's contribution to Falmer and how Albion got to today.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011

That is brilliant.

Sent from my XT1072 using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here