Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sunderland to make derisory bid for Bridders

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Didn't Tony say he doesn't like doing business in the January window so can't see him changing his mind and plus we could be in the play off position come January and Tony wouldn't want Poyet to ruin another season.

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
On Saturday, Bridcutt played like he knew he is leaving. In the first half I saw him clearly bottle three challenges that resulted in Huddersfield taking the ball from 50/50 situations. I accept players like Buckley and Lopez bottle tackles and it doesn't mean they're leaving, but tackling is an integral part of Bridcutt's game so if he's pulling out of physical moments in the game then something is not right. The fact he got Man of the Match was laughable. I reckon he'll be gone within the first week of the transfer window, and it's probably not a bad thing for either him or the club if he is, but we MUST apply a Gus premium to any player he wants to sign. If he is already happy to pay £2m, then let's not even start talking until he gets to £3m.
sorry disagree with this bit On Saturday, Bridcutt played like he knew he is leaving

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
The other thing about Bridcutt apart from him bottling challenges is that he gave the ball away more on Saturday than I have ever seen in one match. He played numerous longer passes forward that rarely got to their target. His game is all about short sideways passing, I don't think he's got the ability to hit 30/40-yard balls or to move the ball at pace, which seem to be features of Oscar's game. Gus' style allowed him all the time he wanted to be on the ball and dictate the slow build-up, but even if he was fully committed I don't really see him fitting in anywhere near as well with Oscar's approach as he just isn't suited to it.

I think you are probably reading too much into one below par performance in difficult conditions, against resolute opposition, who are much improved on last season. Let's see how he performs over the Christmas period and then see if you are a visionary or a touch over-analytical ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can we sell him, then instantly loan him back.

Bridders signs a contract with a relegation get out clause.
We then sign a promotion 'buy Bridcutt' clause, with Sunderland.

Basically everything stays the same, if we get promoted, bish-bosh, happy days, job done.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
£3M minimum. £3.2 even. But why move there?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Bridcutt clearly wants to go

That's a bit of a leap to make, I don't think we know that for certain.

We should only let him go if a) we get £3 million + and b) we sign Ince up on a long term deal first.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
On Saturday, Bridcutt played like he knew he is leaving. In the first half I saw him clearly bottle three challenges that resulted in Huddersfield taking the ball from 50/50 situations. I accept players like Buckley and Lopez bottle tackles and it doesn't mean they're leaving, but tackling is an integral part of Bridcutt's game so if he's pulling out of physical moments in the game then something is not right. The fact he got Man of the Match was laughable. I reckon he'll be gone within the first week of the transfer window, and it's probably not a bad thing for either him or the club if he is, but we MUST apply a Gus premium to any player he wants to sign. If he is already happy to pay £2m, then let's not even start talking until he gets to £3m.

I did note along with those aside that he played in a very "un-Bridcutt" like manner on Saturday. Flying around and then jumping out of tackles. Didn't look himself. Never MoM.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
That's a bit of a leap to make, I don't think we know that for certain.

We should only let him go if a) we get £3 million + and b) we sign Ince up on a long term deal first.

Sorry but that Ince thing is still nonsense. They don't perform anything like the same role in the team. Their attributes are pretty much exactly opposite.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Can we sell him, then instantly loan him back.

Bridders signs a contract with a relegation get out clause.
We then sign a promotion 'buy Bridcutt' clause, with Sunderland.

Basically everything stays the same, if we get promoted, bish-bosh, happy days, job done.

I think Sunderland would want him to help retain their status in the prem, don't you?

Also, another thing against us is that I believe Poyet and Bridders have the same agent!!!

That said, £2m would be an absolute steal.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I thought often a player's value can be made at least in part through statistics. If we did it by goals and assists, then we'd get about £9.32. If we go by influence then his prices rockets, but if we even the numbers up i can see him go for between 2 and 3 mil.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I did note along with those aside that he played in a very "un-Bridcutt" like manner on Saturday. Flying around and then jumping out of tackles. Didn't look himself. Never MoM.

It was SURPRISED to see Bridders on the edge of the opponents box on more than one occasion Saturday.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
I don't want him to leave, after all he is a quality player who will be expensive to replace. Having said that, if he wants to go a £3m fee would be reasonable. Guss can do one for £2m

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Sorry but that Ince thing is still nonsense. They don't perform anything like the same role in the team. Their attributes are pretty much exactly opposite.

Yes, but that defensive midfield role in Oscar's team is more suited to Ince than Bridders. They're very different players but they can still play the same position, that position just works differently in Oscar's team than Gus'.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
If Bridcutt really wants to go and play for Gus there is no point in keeping him. It may be a good financial move but there is no room for favouritism at Sunderland as there was here, especially in a relegation battle.

The way Gus wanted him to play in the Championship suited the Championship, as a security blanket, but against Prem sides he needs more strings to his bow because being predictable he will be targeted and taken out of the game.

Maybe the fact that Bridcutt and Gus share the same agent is a good reason to cut him loose but I hope he will think for himself, stay here and develop his game under Oscar rather than being on a Poyet diet of clear up and side and backwards passes.

I don’t think we should persuade him to stay but I think Gus and his agent will be doing their best to persuade him to go. Ultimately it is Bridcutt's choice but I don't think being a one manager player is good for any player because you need variety, not being wrapped up in cotton wool.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Can't see Bloom accepting anything under 4M... Unless Barber wants the cash and pushes the sale.

I personally would take 3-4M, with potential add-ons to push it towards 5. This is only if Ince signs a 3-4 year contract first.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here