Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Dr Who

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Not much of a spoiler. Have it recorded and will watch later.

Enjoying the series but she has disconcerting teeth. They remind me on my granny's falsies. And she's been dead since 1981. And the goofy expression and silly Sheffield accent. There I said it.

teeth.jpg

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Not much of a spoiler. Have it recorded and will watch later.

Enjoying the series but she has disconcerting teeth. They remind me on my granny's falsies. And she's been dead since 1981. And the goofy expression and silly Sheffield accent. There I said it.

View attachment 102178

You have to admit though, she is the fittest Doctor yet !

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You have to admit though, she is the fittest Doctor yet !

Well, she's the only one I'd shag, but there is a good reason for that, and it's not enormously special ???

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Another dud tonight. This series seems to occilate between good and bad a lot.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Another dud tonight. This series seems to occilate between good and bad a lot.

They did get rid of lee Mack quite early on, so, it's not all bad.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
There was a good story in there today, but it was delivered like an over-enthusiastic school play.

funny thing is my old man hates dr who so i record it but hes more into this series than i am - and no its not because its a woman - hes in his 80s

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
funny thing is my old man hates dr who so i record it but hes more into this series than i am - and no its not because its a woman - hes in his 80s

Why do you youngsters think us oldies lose our interest in sex or looking at an attractive girl.
There's an old saying that inside every old person they still feel like they're 16 years old. And at 16 I dreamed about sex a lot more than I did it !
You are going to be so pleasantly surprised when you get older :lolol:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Have to say last night's episode was utter rubbish. Really lost interest during it. Found it all very pointless really.

Hoping for better next week which looks more like my cup of tea.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Have to say last night's episode was utter rubbish. Really lost interest during it. Found it all very pointless really.

Hoping for better next week which looks more like my cup of tea.

Didn't mind it and it was another one that seemed to be having a pop of stuff around now , i.e. The Amazon/ sports direct model.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

I glad you posted that.

Look at it from my perspective. After a few glasses of wine with the Sunday afternoon roast I fell asleep in front of the fire watching Country File. Imagine how disorientating it is to wake up and instead of John Craven in sensible knitwear dry-stone walling in the Peak District, the woman off of Broadchurch is travelling across the galaxies in a Tardis wearing a fez.

:mad:

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
We've watched two or three on catch up... It's okay I suppose. Obviously one episode MASSIVELY ripped of the superior Quantum Leap, but who can blame the writer for that... Anyway, the Doctor is largely irrelevant in terms of who he/she is but the scripts are vital, and I think this has been better than the majority of the Capaldi stuff with the exception of some better episodes in his last series.

That said; overall I think the 're-boot' (since the comeback) has nearly run its course to be honest, the relentless and now tiresome (modern life) social commentary, and the insistence that humankind holds the key to the universe and everything - whilst 'different and quirky' at first, now just grates. New alien 'bad guys' are, well, just rip offs from other franchises (Predator etc.), and the very PC collectives are just sooooooooo contrived. So, although it remains a decent and very light distraction, it's lost some of that 'I'm back and I'm bigger and better' zip as well as seemingly still searching for that consistent magic of yore.

I think it may have had it's day, but the viewing figures doubtless say otherwise.

Hey ho

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I like Whittaker as the Doctor, despite her being trigger-happy with that f***ing sonic screwdriver, but the show itself is simply not very well written.

Doctor Who needs to take a long break and come back in a shorter properly crafted Sherlock-like format - three or four feature length episodes every few years.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I'm enjoying this series. I like how it's single episode stories with some interesting ideas, without all the other confusing stories going on in the background which have ruined things since Matt Smith became The Doctor (he was by far the worst incarnation too).

Last night's episode was fun. Isn't that a big part of what Doctor Who is supposed to be?

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I like Whittaker as the Doctor, despite her being trigger-happy with that f***ing sonic screwdriver, but the show itself is simply not very well written.

Doctor Who needs to take a long break and come back in a shorter properly crafted Sherlock-like format - three or four feature length episodes every few years.

I agree, but would that mean making it darker and more adult orientated? Moving it away from the 'family' show it's always been. The last more adult spin-off effort (Torchwood) was utterly horrible in every possible way. Although I certainly concur format wise, it would likely create an arc driven mini series each time around, getting away from the standalone: hit/miss/hit/miss/miss/hit of the current format.

A good call.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
That said; overall I think the 're-boot' (since the comeback) has nearly run its course to be honest, the relentless and now tiresome (modern life) social commentary, and the insistence that humankind holds the key to the universe and everything - whilst 'different and quirky' at first, now just grates. New alien 'bad guys' are, well, just rip offs from other franchises (Predator etc.), and the very PC collectives are just sooooooooo contrived. So, although it remains a decent and very light distraction, it's lost some of that 'I'm back and I'm bigger and better' zip as well as seemingly still searching for that consistent magic of yore.

http://sartorialgeek.com/political-awareness-doctor-who/

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here