Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Are they retaining dual Nationality or have they relinquished their British

I presume he’s keeping it. But an added bonus is he also gets a Greek passport thrown in for free.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
In our wonderful country, people are free to march and people can spend over two years bleating away on social media because they can't accept the result but I am not sure how anyone could argue what they are calling for (ignoring the first vote) is democratic.

Presumably you aren't one of these people ??????

Glad to hear you think people are free to march and take part in the ongoing democratic process. As you say we live in a wonderful country free to enjoy democracy and all its fruits. :thumbsup:

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
Don't they do dual citizenship? I've never needed to get myself a Spanish passport, even when I lived and worked there, but I will be getting one soon. Mainly for my son's benefit. I mistakenly thought Spain didn't allow dual nationality but that's only for people with no connection becoming Spanish (my dad is Spanish).

I believe they don't do dual Nationality...I'm not too bothered as got a place in Fuerteventura and want to go there often and as simply as possible & being Dutch should enable that...Someone touted the idea of an EU card for those not dim enough to want to leave and remain European but not heard much about that for a while.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sadly a truly great photo opportunity has been missed

A house near Littlehampton has put up a 10ft sign with 'leave means leave' written on it.

The house in question is directly opposite but not photographically:-

Ford Prison. :lol:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
In our wonderful country, people are free to march and people can spend over two years bleating away on social media because they can't accept the result but I am not sure how anyone could argue what they are calling for (ignoring the first vote) is democratic.

Presumably you aren't one of these people ??????

[tweet]1055010943489527808[/tweet]

sant andreu

Dec 18, 2011
Where's the 'Respecting the long held British democratic tradition of ensuring the outcomes of democratic results are enacted' reason?

That is a fair point. However, there is a recent precedent that suggests this tradition you allude to is not so time-honoured: Boaty McBoatface.

This was also pointed out in a recent piece by David Mitchell, who said

"As the Boaty McBoatface saga shows, you can’t always bow to a snapshot of popular opinion. Who knows why people voted as they did, in what spirit of lashing out against the establishment, of tweaking the nose of the ruling class, without having fully thought through, or been properly informed of, the long-term implications. Sometimes someone has to step in to stop something crazy happening – something terrible that does lasting damage. But only if it’s a really important issue, like a boat being given a silly name."

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
At the moment. What happens after Brexit given Germany will only allow dual citizenship with other EU member states ?

To my friend? Nothing. But if you apply after Brexit you’ll possibly have to give up your UK passport.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

Jan 30, 2008
That is a fair point. However, there is a recent precedent that suggests this tradition you allude to is not so time-honoured: Boaty McBoatface.

"As the Boaty McBoatface saga shows, you can’t always bow to a snapshot of popular opinion. Who knows why people voted as they did, in what spirit of lashing out against the establishment, of tweaking the nose of the ruling class, without having fully thought through, or been properly informed of, the long-term implications. Sometimes someone has to step in to stop something crazy happening – something terrible that does lasting damage. But only if it’s a really important issue, like a boat being given a silly name."
people knew exactly what THEY WERE VOTING FOR deal with it , IT CAME AS A SHOCK FOR THE SMUG REMAINERS, NEVER MND THAT'S HOW DEMOCRACY WORKS IN THIS COUNTRY

regards
DR

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

Suggests nothing of the sort ... that was a naming competition for a ship, not an officially regulated/sanctioned democratic event.

Every previous referendum be it regional or national has been honoured/enacted. It's the British way :thumbsup:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Suggests nothing of the sort ... that was a naming competition for a ship, not an officially regulated/sanctioned democratic event.

Every previous referendum be it regional or national has been honoured/enacted. It's the British way :thumbsup:

It's just with the last 2 referendums in this country, no planning, infrastructure or contingencies, or even any thought at all, were put in place that were required if the vote went the other way from The Government of the day, which made them totally unrealistic at being honoured as campaigned for. Project Fear v Project Fantasy in both of those somewhat differs from the years, possibly decades, of building and creating what's required in terms of infrastructure and relevant agency bodies etc and all the unfortunate political, social and economic upheaval it'll bring and whatever other unintended consequences manifest themselves.

As for it being the British way - the next 2 referendums we'll be having in The UK will see the end of being British as I know it. Putting aside the sectarian bloodshed of the one in Ireland, at the least with the one in Scotland it'll take care of worrying about Trident renewal - Not so much the emperor with no clothes, but The P5 UN Security Council Member without a nuclear deterrent, as well as all the other falls from grace. (but with blue passports of course :thumbsup:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here