Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Albion fan given banning order.

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
Given that football clubs these days are doing more to encourage family outings and more to tackle the hooligan problems, it's justified.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
I don't know anything about that either and presumably nor do you. I do find it slightly annoying that you're perfectly happy to make all sorts of assumptions with that particular case based on a newspaper article, yet are acting all aggrieved at others doing exactly the same thing on this case.

To clarify, I believe football disorder is still punished to excess, but also believe you'd have to be a fool to get involved as this is common knowledge. But you can't illustrate your point with some half-arsed ill-considered "example" of a completely unrelated crime when you don't have the full facts to hand - it just makes you look like a hypocrite.

What assumptions?

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Everything about that case, to be honest. There could be all sorts of reasons why it looks worse than it is on the face of it, or for a custodial to be spared.

I never said anything about custodial. I implied his sentence was unduly lenient considering his offence. That is just my opinion. I made no assumptions mate.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I never said anything about custodial. I implied his sentence was unduly lenient considering his offence. That is just my opinion. I made no assumptions mate.
I think you did. He got 10 months, suspended for 2 years.

Given that he pleaded guilty to the crime, what if he previously sought help to overcome this compulsion and the judge saw evidence of that and has suspended the sentence with a view to ensuring he does so? What if those images of children were actually 15 year olds enjoying consensual sex? It's not right of course, but you'd agree the connotations are not the same as say, images featuring a 10 year old.

This is what I mean. The devil is in the detail and you can't whinge at people on here doing that over your mate when you're perfectly happy to do the same thing.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
But that's not what has happened, the previous behaviour has been used to influence the sentencing in the same way as if his Sunday School teacher had come in to say what a good boy he was, that might have influenced things the other way. Neither are "evidence" bearing on whether he was convicted or not, they are things that the magistrates take into account when sentencing.
previous UNPROVEN behaviour.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
I think you did. He got 10 months, suspended for 2 years.

Given that he pleaded guilty to the crime, what if he previously sought help to overcome this compulsion and the judge saw evidence of that and has suspended the sentence with a view to ensuring he does so? What if those images of children were actually 15 year olds enjoying consensual sex? It's not right of course, but you'd agree the connotations are not the same as say, images featuring a 10 year old.

This is what I mean. The devil is in the detail and you can't whinge at people on here doing that over your mate when you're perfectly happy to do the same thing.

I provided the link to the Argus article about a man convicted of possessing 800 indecent images of children and commented I felt his sentence was too lenient based on the facts at hand. I did not type anything about him deserving a custodial sentence.

I have read an article regarding an Albion fan served an FBO for possession of cocaine and throwing a beer in a Saints fan's face (I don't think it states the actual offence), and I feel his punishment is too harsh.

It is really that simple.

Seagulls perm

Banned
Apr 20, 2017
Let's get this right. No smoke without fire, or pipe. Anyone caught or associating with those caught involved in antagonistic or violent behaviour should be banned. It's not what anybody needs. Anyone who really believes otherwise must be a bit stupid.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I go regularly and I think he has been hard done by.

He's decision, he could have just drunk his beer, and left his illegal drugs at home.

He must have been aware of the possible banning order for his actions given the length of time these have been law, and the airing they get on football forums, and in the press.

But you say hard done by, so what should his sentence have been, a telling off for being a naughty boy and don't do it again

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
Let's get this right. No smoke without fire, or pipe. Anyone caught or associating with those caught involved in antagonistic or violent behaviour should be banned. It's not what anybody needs. Anyone who really believes otherwise must be a bit stupid.
if we score after 7.45 0n the 28/11/17 im expecting lots of antonistic behaviour , as far as crack cocaine goes I hope the person gets help to get off such a nasty/vile drug.
Being 51 myself a pint of beer in the face is quite minor at football events-not pleasant but not horrific either compared with past years - however I bet our old friend discrimination was involved again, having not missed a Saturday game away or at home for 5years I can honestly say I have only witnessed our fans 'kick off' to remarks such as which one of your 3 companions at the table are you sleeping with ?
doesn't excuse or explain it however we can only summise it was something similar to that--------what does anyone think about this

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I answered dark wolfs point. Your question didn’t make sense. I am not arguing against FBO’s. Just that they are being used when football has nothing to do with incidents and therefore anyone that might have a ticket for football will be judged more harshly. It’s like if I have a scuffle in a pub, because someone insults my wife. Then my gym membership gets taken away and I get banned for 3 years. It sounds stupid but that is exactly what FBO’s are being used for and it’s wrong.

You are talking garbage. It's football related because he was in a pub with Albion fans, exchanging words with Southampton fans and then arrested whilst getting off the train at Falmer. Are you seriously suggesting this was nothing to do with his trip to the football?

As regards the scenario you describe, don't the courts issue orders banning repeat offenders from town centres and the like?

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Perhaps the answer to these types of situations is to not allow character witnesses, for or against, as they are only voicing opinions on previous behaviour and not facts related to the particular charge or charges?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I would also add that without speaking to Steve I highly doubt it was 'crack cocaine' in his pocket that day. Crack and powder are two very different things. My money is on a clueless Argus reporter not quite understanding the difference between the two on that one.

It isn't even the Argus, it's the B&H Independant, so if we're making assumptions, I actually reckon the sentence is not to go within 5 miles of an away ground when Brighton are playing (which would make a lot more sense) rather than any old football ground.

I agree it's been badly reported.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
It isn't even the Argus, it's the B&H Independant, so if we're making assumptions, I actually reckon the sentence is not to go within 5 miles of an away ground when Brighton are playing (which would make a lot more sense) rather than any old football ground.

I agree it's been badly reported.

I would expect you are correct on that one.

If it is 5 miles they have actually loosened up a bit on that restriction. It used to be 10 miles and in some cases you could not set foot on the rail or tube network anywhere in the UK whenever Albion were playing away. So BHA could be playing away at Newcastle but you were legally not allowed to hop on a train from Lewes to Newhaven...

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
This is pathetic. I'm sure 95% of us wouldn't even report having a pint spilt over us to the OB. And if we did the OB wouldn't be arsed to turn out let alone arrest the culprit and put him before the courts. As others have said, this guy has been hammered because he was a football fan en route to the game.

I am all for relevant previous convictions being put before a court for sentencing but from my reading he never was arrested and convicted for any other offence. A suspicion that he may be associated with others who may be a bit "nawty" just aint good enough.

Oddly, I always had a good deal of respect for PC Daz (compared to the OB in general!), He has ended up looking a bit of a tit on this one.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
This is pathetic. I'm sure 95% of us wouldn't even report having a pint spilt over us to the OB.

An excellent use of words to make your point, but the pint wasn't split it was thrown, there is a marked difference between the two.

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
This is pathetic. I'm sure 95% of us wouldn't even report having a pint spilt over us to the OB. And if we did the OB wouldn't be arsed to turn out let alone arrest the culprit and put him before the courts. As others have said, this guy has been hammered because he was a football fan en route to the game.

Think you`re the only person who thinks beer was spilt !!! I think it more likely he has been banned as he was carrying cocaine.!!! Someone heading to Amex willing to chuck Beer around before smoking crack !!! what might happen after smoking crack and meeting rival supporters ?

Jan 30, 2008

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here