Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Will we rest players vs Man Utd ?

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Play a full strength team but any slight knocks that players are carrying, leave them at home and they should be ready for the Tuesday. Losing 1-0 or 2-0 would be respectable.

I'm looking ahead more to the Stoke match and the tactics Mark Hughes will employ. Being a physical side we must not get bullied like we were in the FA Cup in 2011. We owe them a beating and they're struggling a bit at the moment.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
To add, City only scored 1 goal - if we omit Dunk's own goal. I really think this is a game we could get a result. I'd take a draw, but I reckon winning isn't impossible.

If only one of these had gone in , i remember the look on Otamendi's face when Duffy's shot just went wide , he knew they had gotten away with one there , we are doing ok and should not be afraid of anyone home or away .

58: Close! Brighton are inches from opening the scoring. Suttner bends the ball in from the left flank, and only a late interception from Danilo prevents Propper from scoring.

Seconds later, Duffy is quick to pounce on a loose half-volley, twists and shoots narrowly wide.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
If only one of these had gone in , i remember the look on Otamendi's face when Duffy's shot just went wide , he knew they had gotten away with one there , we are doing ok and should not be afraid of anyone home or away .

58: Close! Brighton are inches from opening the scoring. Suttner bends the ball in from the left flank, and only a late interception from Danilo prevents Propper from scoring.

Seconds later, Duffy is quick to pounce on a loose half-volley, twists and shoots narrowly wide.
I think we're doing more than okay, I think we're doing brilliantly and this is based on the recruitment issues. Pundits left, right and centre had us down for relegation and many had us as at the bottom. I think a mid table finish is not out the question, but with January approaching and we're floating around the 10th position spot, we have a lot more appeal to potential strikers and other reinforcements.

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
Not so sure about 2.

These kind of periods of games in quick succession are the ones that the newly promoted teams struggle with. Brighton need to work harder than most teams in the league as the players are not quite as good as most. It was a cruel blow in the fixture list to have man u, palace and Liverpool together in a week as well as Stoke been pushed closer to those

Even the likes of man city , spurs and man u struggle more in games after a champions league midweek game.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I'm sorry but what...?

You're telling me that a team that played 50 games (46 league games, 4 cup games) last season, often playing Saturday (Friday in our case most of the time) Tuesday, Saturday for most of the last season, will now struggle because they have to play Monday, Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday, for the first time this season?

Sorry but I don't buy that once ounce - this team know what it takes, and playing on Saturday and then playing again Tuesday will give the team a very quick chance to possibly bounce back (if we lose) or possibly even kick on even more...

MrSnuggles

Apr 29, 2016
If anything with the amount of internationals that Man Utd have, it will be them resting players and fielding their reserves!...After all it's only Brighton!

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
No Chance - I want to see Jose Mourhino be the next Manager to be sacked for losing to ''lowly'' Brighton just because of a post almost 2 years ago when [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION] wanted CH sacked and I asked who would you replace him by he said '' Jose Mourhino ''

In seriousness though - No chance anyone will be rested. Play the best team to grind out a result and keep confidence high

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Look at the celebrations last season. Games away at OT are the stuff these players have earned its the stuff of dreams for them. Not fair to rest anyone for this one unless they actually need it. Go for the points and give them the opportunity. So be it if we lose by a couple. Dont tinker if if aint broke

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
In seriousness though - No chance anyone will be rested. Play the best team to grind out a result and keep confidence high
There wasn't much or any sign of that v City or Arsenal why would playing Utd at Old Trafford be any different?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The team has played together for longer now
That is true, and far be it for me to second guess the Messiah, but the performance at Arsenal was in stark contrast to the performance v West Ham, and very reminiscent of the style used v City.

I'm expecting this to be another 'don't lose badly' performance, which will hopefully come on the back 3 points v Stoke, and easily brushed off before palace.

One thing that won't happen is the team 'grinding out a result'.

(Already excited at the prospect of you bouncing this post)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I cannot believe that people are thinking that CH will consider resting players and admitting that we may lose that game. Every point that we get will prove vital in our quest to stay in this division and I think that he will approach it with that thought in mind. Just as much as we have done well a bad run could put us back into the relegation mix and I dont think that he will risk that.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Fascinating period coming up after the international break.

A very winnable game Vs Stoke and then Man U , palace and Liverpool in quick succession. 4 games in less than 2 weeks.

You would have to think there would be some serious rotation for the man u game, I would be very tempted to give some of the fringe/squad players a game in that one. Baldock, kayal, hune (Duffy will need a rest), Solly, hemed, suttner, brown must all be in with a shout.

Im not one for heavy squad rotation but to have the players fresh for palace is so much more important for me.

Thoughts

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

You could have added Tottenham away on a Wednesday....preceded by a Saturday game at Huddersfield and Burnley at home the following Saturday....rest them? ...wonder how the players would feel being denied a Wembley outing...still this is all up to CH ..but some tough sh*t coming up...enjoy it!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I cannot believe that people are thinking that CH will consider resting players and admitting that we may lose that game. Every point that we get will prove vital in our quest to stay in this division and I think that he will approach it with that thought in mind. Just as much as we have done well a bad run could put us back into the relegation mix and I dont think that he will risk that.

You often here of people targeting certain games for points ..which is quite logical...are chances away to say Man City will be slimmer than say Swansea.....he will rotate the squad WHERE POSSIBLE I have no doubt of that ..there are just a couple of areas where it might be a tad more difficult...for example the midfield 2..best of luck with that one

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You often here of people targeting certain games for points ..which is quite logical...are chances away to say Man City will be slimmer than say Swansea.....he will rotate the squad WHERE POSSIBLE I have no doubt of that ..there are just a couple of areas where it might be a tad more difficult...for example the midfield 2..best of luck with that one
You'd have to be a bit special to think CH would play the same XI that started v Stoke at Utd, with palace just 3 days later.

Hemed for Murray, Solly for a winger, Suttner for Bong are all perfectly 'normal' replacements with the more important (irrespective of rivalry) palace game in mind.
Who knows maybe even Bruno will sit the game out, but already that does feel like one step to far.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Sorry I disagree as I think that he will to use an old football cliche, take every game as it comes, and play the strongest available team. then after that game worry about the next one.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here