Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nights out in Brighton on the Late 70s - Early 80s

...Probably been mentioned but I haven't the energy to trawl back. The "Hungry Years" was always good for a bit of headbanging and air guitar. What happened to it?

MrSnuggles

Apr 29, 2016
Alhambra, The Richmond, Buccaneer, anywhere where there were gigs! Also frequented the Basket makers, Kings head, Henekeys, well practically every pub in Brighton actually!

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Posted on 21-07-2015
Was it the Bell Club in Regency Square up on the right hand side ?
Posted on 2-11-2017
:bhasign:

The Brighton Belle club was in Oriental Place. Plenty of totty and a few birds on the game too. Good music; Funk, Soul, Motown. Owned by Mike Hammon. I think the ZAP club started as a night there.

The Mardi Gras club was at the back of Regency Square under the Regency Hotel. Peter Spiers ran it and would play you at pool for £20, which was a fortune then...! His bird was the very sexy Rita who wore skin-tight lurex pants:cute::cute::cute::cute:

Why has it taken two years four months to reply?

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Had to start at the Bath Arms for the ping pong table.
Druids - early-ish to make sure of reaching the bar before closing time,
The Sussex - another tight squeeze; rarely good beer, but back then a great atmosphere.
On to a pub in East Street with a Dickensian title; Pickwick?
Pub on the seafront bottom of East Street , name totally gone from memory,
Dr Brighton’s for another crowded pint.
Then either Choys, or the Posada Cellar bar for a soapy lager, before going upstairs for a steak and to ogle the lovely barmaid who ogled me right back!

This was 1968ish, I think.

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
Had to start at the Bath Arms for the ping pong table.
Druids - early-ish to make sure of reaching the bar before closing time,
The Sussex - another tight squeeze; rarely good beer, but back then a great atmosphere.
On to a pub in East Street with a Dickensian title; Pickwick?
Pub on the seafront bottom of East Street , name totally gone from memory,
Dr Brighton’s for another crowded pint.
Then either Choys, or the Posada Cellar bar for a soapy lager, before going upstairs for a steak and to ogle the lovely barmaid who ogled me right back!

This was 1968ish, I think.

The Bath Arms also used to have a bar billiards table - could only play it when p*ssed. Funny to think we were all going out on a Friday night to the same pubs in Brighton - Bath Arms (where we would meet up), the Druids (if we could get in), then The Sussex, then Shades, then The Cricketers, followed by The Derryck Carver, then Henekeys........... All seems so fresh in the memory.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Older mates used to go to Cinderella's at Stroods Motel in the 70's,

By the time we went, for the rare night outside Brighton, it was called The Dance Factory in the mid 80's. It always ended in violence with the horrible sound of smashing pint glasses. Crawley and Redhill entitely lacked clubs then, so it drew the wrong crowd. It culminated in bouncers murdering a thug, so it was closed down.

Is it now the site of the Friday Ad business!

Sited on the old London Road, all the punters turned left or right to drink drive home in those days?
Didn't Stroods lay on busses from Brighton from about 10pm and bring you back to Brighton 2am I seem to remember. All the old 'uns are at home now reminiscing about great times past and the youngsters are out and about creating their time. My daughter says she went to so-and-so club/pub last night, I say never heard of it, she tells me where it is and I say went there as a young lad. Maybe she will start a post in 20 years time on NSC.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Birds Nest in the week...anybody remember that.... then the Suite on Saturday. How about Cinderella's at Hickstead. Met my wife there, not that I knew too much about it.

Fun days.

Cinderella’s was last stop on my stag do. Future brother in law got in a ruck with a bouncer who wouldn’t let him in because of the strict dress code. Upshot was the bouncer decked him and broke his jaw. Had to lift his unconscious body into a taxi to hospital and spent the rest of my stag do at the local police station while statements were taken......happy days!

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Didn't Stroods lay on busses from Brighton from about 10pm and bring you back to Brighton 2am I seem to remember. All the old 'uns are at home now reminiscing about great times past and the youngsters are out and about creating their time. My daughter says she went to so-and-so club/pub last night, I say never heard of it, she tells me where it is and I say went there as a young lad. Maybe she will start a post in 20 years time on NSC.[/QUOT
Absolutely this. We used to go up on the bus from pool valley 77/78. The bouncers at Stroods we’re two Ukrainian twins who were utterly HUGE. It was a fantastic club

Sep 14, 2006
Philadelphia
Sitting in Slovenia @ 135a reading this post from 9’years ago. I was 2nd reply and just chuckling about those times. Heading to Brighton for 5th Nov and Old Crocks....first time in 20 years. Oh how homesick can anyone be remembering pub crawls in Brighton in the 80s. What glorious times they were. UTA.

Cinderella’s was last stop on my stag do. Future brother in law got in a ruck with a bouncer who wouldn’t let him in because of the strict dress code. Upshot was the bouncer decked him and broke his jaw. Had to lift his unconscious body into a taxi to hospital and spent the rest of my stag do at the local police station while statements were taken......happy days!

Would that have been the bugs hole cop shop? Could well be my dad taking the statements.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
annie nightingale spent many nights in the windmill (upper western road?) often with that fella from primal scream, so yes you're prob correct

Upper North Street, west of the dole office and by Fred's barbers.

The Windmill was always popular.

Annie Nightingale lived in the Montpelier Road area.

The Montpelier pub on the other side of the road but nearer to Furze Hill was good in the 80's. Very popular, the landlord employed the old trick of having attractive bar maids. (Bar tenders in PC speak).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here