Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Mill road P&R

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Today was the first time I've ever used the bridge car park, and only because my Saints fan friends picked me up on the way.
Stopped for a couple of beers in Dicks and then walked down there and saw the queues. We were amazed we were out really quickly.
Wouldn't want that to be my mode of transport every week though

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Mill Road P + R is great. But then I arrive within 10 or 15 minutes of it opening. Last season they had a 'Queue Nazi' who managed it like the Stalag 13 queue for breakfast! Luckily the smiley girls are back with their usual organiser and the 'Queue Nazi' has been relegated to the Walk and Riders at the top. She still delays the bus for 10 minutes as she stalks up and down trying to force one more on board. Mind you, I didn't realise it is the Walk and Riders who are now clogging up the system for the car users.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Mill road was really, really poor today, over an hour and a half from parking there to the stadium.

I was told by the very nice lady who has been working there since the Withdean days it was because there were only 5 busses instead if 8

After the game, I asked about this to the steward at the stadium who said they had the full compliment of busses.

So many people now walking to and using the Park and ride,and joining the queues both top and bottom, that the system needslooking at.

So many little things could be implemented to improve the transport system, but I'm afraid the club aren't interested.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I would say I’ve used Mill Rd for all bar about 10 of the matches we’ve played since we started using it...1999.
Today was the first time ever that I couldn’t get in, due to it being full at 1135ish.

Fair do’s it being full early due to whatever reason, but the absolute carnage from the A23 roundabout right up the hill to the flyover was horrendous. It’s a shame there isn’t some sort of electronic signage along the way that could’ve stopped a lot of the traffic trying to get through when there was no hope. It took me another hour to get to the race course and claim one of the last spaces there. Tremendous fun!

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I would say I’ve used Mill Rd for all bar about 10 of the matches we’ve played since we started using it...1999.
Today was the first time ever that I couldn’t get in, due to it being full at 1135ish.

Fair do’s it being full early due to whatever reason, but the absolute carnage from the A23 roundabout right up the hill to the flyover was horrendous. It’s a shame there isn’t some sort of electronic signage along the way that could’ve stopped a lot of the traffic trying to get through when there was no hope. It took me another hour to get to the race course and claim one of the last spaces there. Tremendous fun!

Wow. that must have been fun. Mill Road was full up for me also. and so i simply parked elsewhere . Only a minute away

tubby

Aug 15, 2008
I park in King George VI Avenue and walk across to Mill Road and being there at 11am had no problems. However having had a beer and waiting my customary 30 minutes after the game before leaving I had to queue for40 minutes to get the bus when I am normally on a bus within 10 minutes. I don't believe it was due to more people using it. I am more inclined to believe there were less buses.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Mill road was really, really poor today, over an hour and a half from parking there to the stadium.

I was told by the very nice lady who has been working there since the Withdean days it was because there were only 5 busses instead if 8

After the game, I asked about this to the steward at the stadium who said they had the full compliment of busses.

So many people now walking to and using the Park and ride,and joining the queues both top and bottom, that the system needslooking at.

So many little things could be implemented to improve the transport system, but I'm afraid the club aren't interested.

I would have thought ticketing the Mill Road P&R like the Sainsbury’s one to limit numbers would help. Loads of people now seem to park elsewhere and walk to Mill Road which isn’t what it was designed for.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I park in King George VI Avenue and walk across to Mill Road and being there at 11am had no problems. However having had a beer and waiting my customary 30 minutes after the game before leaving I had to queue for40 minutes to get the bus when I am normally on a bus within 10 minutes. I don't believe it was due to more people using it. I am more inclined to believe there were less buses.
fewer buses

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I would have thought ticketing the Mill Road P&R like the Sainsbury’s one to limit numbers would help. Loads of people now seem to park elsewhere and walk to Mill Road which isn’t what it was designed for.
And this is why the club needs to review and not keep burying head in the sand - fans should not need to turn up 2hrs before KO to make a 3 mile ‘last leg’ journey. Or 3hrs if you want to be absolutely sure of a car parking place. Its not “park and ride” these days, it’s “hope & screwed”. The vast majority of fans travelling by car because they have no other realistic means of getting to game come from the north or west of Falmer, and Mill Road is just inadequate. Has been since we opened but even more now.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012

Who said people could not walk to the Mill Road And use it ? What they need is more buses and to ease the congestion on the A27 on match days ,

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Presumably Mill Road wasn’t helped by a larger number of away fans than usual driving to the game? Who’d want to trust the trains along the coast on a Sunday when it’s such an easy trip. And as away fans arrive early, that’d explain it filling up so quickly. It does feel currently that for all the club’s efforts, the park and rides particularly are not sufficient. The number of buses has always been inadequate I think

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Having parked in Bridge car park for the past few years, we have learnt that spending an hour at the ground after the final whistle is the best way, time for a drink watch the highlights have a wander round the club shop and then stroll down to the car park. By then the car park is usually clear and normally pretty much drive straight out. yesterday it took quite a bit longer and we drove out under the bridge at 4:40, an hour and 20 minutes after the game.

Thats pretty poor TBH but we're used to it by now.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I don't use Mill Road P+R as I travel on a match day bus.
However passing the top of Mill Road just after noon I was surprised by the much larger queue which would have been mostly walk ups.
I suspect this was a combination of Sunday game, lunchtime kick off, replacement bus service from Three Bridges down and dry weather. Plus fewer buses given comments earlier in the thread.

I would suggest that this combination is the main reason particularly the lack of trains from the north.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Who said people could not walk to the Mill Road And use it ? What they need is more buses and to ease the congestion on the A27 on match days ,

I said it wasn’t what it was designed for. The number of buses provided are presumably based on car spaces available and average car occupancy. Others turning up who either live locally or park elsewhere then walk are putting additional pressure on the buses and leads to bigger queues, especially after the game.

The answer is either more busses or limit users by ticketing.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

Also locals use it as walk & ride service so a lot more people riding in the buses than turn up in the cars. Don't think that is a bad thing just think the transport planners for the club need to take it into account.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
I told lots of people from Southampton about Mill Road being the best option, but that it also filled up early.

We were camping in Brighton this weekend, so we drove up to the Racecourse for P&R. Usually I would drive to Sompting and then travel in with Seagulls Travel with my brother. He used Seagulls Travel yesterday and was home before we got on a bus back to the Racecourse..... having failed to leave early to get on the first round of busses.

Seagulls Travel Coaches work!

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Seemed to full up a lot earlier yesterday. I arrived just about midday. Some signs before you get under the train bridge and up to the barrier would be nice. No dramas though, managed to get up to the racecourse and down tot he Amex for 1.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It does feel currently that for all the club’s efforts, the park and rides particularly are not sufficient. The number of buses has always been inadequate I think

Isn't it more that the location and capacity of each site doesn't marry up with demand?

Mill Road seems to be full every game and often very early whilst the racecourse rarely, if ever, seems to get full.

It does feel as though something more permanent to the West is required. I know those who used Sainsbury, when it operated, seemed happy with that option.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Used Mill Road a few times and yesterday was the 'worst', but still not TOO bad. I overheard stewards apologising about the delays when we arrived, so figured something had gone wrong – that and the fact the queue was bigger than normal. Waited about 30 mins from parking to bus, which seemed OK to me. Left at the full-time whistle, ran up to the P&R queue and on a bus within about 10 minutes.

I don't think any system is going to be perfect – not just at the football, but any time you are trying to 'evacuate' more than 30,000 people from one place.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here