Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Pascal Gross- bargain?

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
We have to accept that too. If we are to sustain ourselves in the top flight, then the reality is if £25m+ offers start coming in, both for us and the player we need to do the deals – but only when it suits us. Players like Gross will continue to come to us if we are seen as a club that allows careers to progress when mutually beneficial.

Players like gross will continue to come to us if we are in the premier league, no?

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
He reminds me a little of Beckham in that he's not the quickest or silkiest of players but he works his nuts off and has one excellent skill - namely his passing and crossing ability - that he maximises to the utmost. A really good signing.

As is Propper who is looking better and better, is forming a decent partnership with Stephens and looks a really classy player.

Actually all our signings look pretty decent.

If we can get that elusive striker and avoid too many injuries I'm confident of a comfortable midtable finish to the season.

I would also add he has an eye for a good pass as well, intelligent player!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
If Gross had any pace, he'd be priceless.

And also wouldn't be playing for Brighton & Hove Albion.

Yes, it's this that you'd imagine prevented other clubs from buying him. Not every player in a side needs pace, Cantona springs to mind. While not a sprinter, Gross does resemble a marathon runner.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I think he absolute quality. Like others have said, his lack of pace is his one weakness, but his intelligence, link up play, two footedness, work rate and overall quality when on the ball are all so high. His beauty really is in his efficiency more than anything though.

On a side note, I would be intrigued to see him paired up front with a pacier forward.

I suspect we might get to witness your side note come the new year.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Most chances created - Bundesliga/Premier League 2016/17

Player Chances Created

Christian Eriksen 112

Kevin De Bruyne 103

Mesut Ozil 100

Pascal Gross 98

Emil Forsberg 94

Eden Hazard 89

Ross Barkley 84

David Silva 82

2.5 - 3m what a bargain, market value of every other player on that list is 20m up!

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Players like gross will continue to come to us if we are in the premier league, no?

Yeah of course, but if you're competing with other clubs and it comes down to a choice other than money, then your record of improving and developing players is going to give you an edge.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Makes you wonder if we'd have gone for Groß if we'd have signed Pritchard last season. I imagine that they'd be competing for the same position on the pitch as our number 10, behind the striker. £3m for Groß is looking like a steal.

Funny how things work out.

Missing out on Lorenzo Pinamonte so going for BZ on loan is another one that springs to mind

miffy6

Mar 7, 2009
Not seen any mention of it but Propper’s turn to set up Izqueirdo’s goal was brilliant.

A thing of beauty...

20171020_001-1.gif

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Missing out on Lorenzo Pinamonte so going for BZ on loan is another one that springs to mind

Dear old Ron Noades, in his bitter attempt to usurp Brighton, very possibly set us on the path to where we are now.

It’s a funny old game.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Not seen any mention of it but Propper’s turn to set up Izqueirdo’s goal was brilliant.

While the turn was wonderful, not sure he exactly 'set up' Izqueirdo's goal by passing the ball behind him on the half way line.

This is why stats don't tell the whole story really. That will go down as an assist, whereas Stephens laying it on a plate for Murray will be forgotten.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
His delivery has been superb but Some of the comments on here are ott. there’s room for improvement in his general play as Quite often he runs around a lot to no real effect. It’s like he’s just behind play.
I reckon if you asked him ‘pascal , have we seen the best of you?’ He would say ‘no way’.
He’s in the promising camp, not 25 mill

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
His delivery has been superb but Some of the comments on here are ott. there’s room for improvement in his general play as Quite often he runs around a lot to no real effect. It’s like he’s just behind play.
I reckon if you asked him ‘pascal , have we seen the best of you?’ He would say ‘no way’.
He’s in the promising camp, not 25 mill

We've scored 9 goals, he has 2 goals, 4 assists. New to the country and the Premier League, yes, you could say he is promising. :D

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
A thing of beauty...

20171020_001-1.gif

Agreed. And so brave in that situation. If the West Ham player takes the ball off him, we could have been in real trouble. Instead, after his first touch wasn't great, he completely beats the West Ham player and starts the move for the goal. Propper is starting to look a great player for us and well worth his £10 million price tag.

As for Gross, what a bargain he is for £3 million. I wonder what Ingolstadt would have got for him if they had stayed up. Significantly more than we paid for him I imagine.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
Agreed. And so brave in that situation. If the West Ham player takes the ball off him, we could have been in real trouble. Instead, after his first touch wasn't great, he completely beats the West Ham player and starts the move for the goal. Propper is starting to look a great player for us and well worth his £10 million price tag.

As for Gross, what a bargain he is for £3 million. I wonder what Ingolstadt would have got for him if they had stayed up. Significantly more than we paid for him I imagine.

But Propper was a flop according to some after the City game. ???

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
But Propper was a flop according to some after the City game. ???

The same clueless twats that slagged of Duffy at Newcastle after his 1st game I think ,at the time I told all my mates he would be the bargain of the season,wasn't wrong,and as with Propper, the lad can seriously play and just fits the team so well,maybe my knowledge about footy is more than ave,but many on here do the same with new players and moan without thinking outside the box, or with any background checks,funny I know a Yeovil fan and he said Duffy was class for them and said he would play prem footy

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here