Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would modern pop music be better if....

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Screenshot_20170715-220124.png

A vocoder was used on Joe Walsh's Rocky Mountain way - mid 1970's?

(edit - just checked - 1973 to be precise)

And in Peter Frampton's "Show Me The Way". But the track that started it all was surely that mainstay of Junior Choice for many years, "Sparky's Magic Piano".

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
We are currently discussing this in a bar. It was decided that music now is shit. Most parties play old school rnb and soul in my circle. I'm sure younger people like the new stuff, but not sure myself :)

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Stating that you or your children think modern music is rubbish really is nothing to boast about. You're missing out on so much great music.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Auto-tune, the refuge of those who either can't sing or should know better.

I'm guessing the OP is moaning about its "extreme" use as an instrument, e.g. like that Cher song, as opposed to it's intended use. And if you don't like it move on to something else; there's plenty out there and no point hanging around.

W3 BHA

Nov 16, 2009
We are currently discussing this in a bar. It was decided that music now is shit. Most parties play old school rnb and soul in my circle. I'm sure younger people like the new stuff, but not sure myself :)

Agree that music now is shit but when you talk about old school rnb do you mean rhythm and blues a la John Mayall/Eric Clapton etc or do you mean the meaningless pap that all crap modern 'singers' and manufactured bands call rnb, presumably to try and attach some cred to what they are churning out? The former is superb. The world would be a better place without what is labelled as rnb these days. In my opinion like....

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I'm guessing the OP is moaning about its "extreme" use as an instrument, e.g. like that Cher song, as opposed to it's intended use. And if you don't like it move on to something else; there's plenty out there and no point hanging around.

Once again, I agree, judicious use of technology is not the problem, it is the extreme use that is. I would bin it simply as that manufactured sound is so popular and so irritating.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Once again, I agree, judicious use of technology is not the problem, it is the extreme use that is. I would bin it simply as that manufactured sound is so popular and so irritating.

But it clearly isn't "irritating" to many others. Listeners of this "popular and so irritating" music have their reasons for liking it just as me and you do for our audio choices. They probably differ but also may overlap. No one is right or wrong. And music doesn't invade your life like many other things do. If you want to avoid Ed Sheeran you can.....so no point kicking against it imho. Just listen to what you like and don't worry about the stuff you don't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here