Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hypothetical attendance potential

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
How many seats would the Amex need to satisfy the demand, if we were on the verge of breaking into the top 6 and playing one of the big boys? Would 40,000 be big enough?

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
Don't be silly (breaking into Top 6)

Feel free to Jamie me in a few years when my scorn is exposed as a shameful lack of faith in our potential.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I thought that the Amex was at full capacity, and there were no plans to extend that, on the premise that (I can't believe I'm saying this), if we ever were relegated, it would be a struggle to fill the stadium, if an extension had occurred.
I'm sure Messrs Bloom and Barber have already said this!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I guess right now we could get another 5-10k bums, but frankly the location and local infrastructure must be the limiting factor.

And 25k would be more than enough if we went down a rung.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
It's fine as it is. Why spend millions on extending just to satisfy a few day trippers when we play a so called big club.

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
I thought that the Amex was at full capacity, and there were no plans to extend that, on the premise that (I can't believe I'm saying this), if we ever were relegated, it would be a struggle to fill the stadium, if an extension had occurred.
I'm sure Messrs Bloom and Barber have already said this!

I’m not talking about the reality of the situation, just trying to get a feel for the likely demand for seats. I know there little or no chance of increasing the capacity of the Amex.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I’m not talking about the reality of the situation, just trying to get a feel for the likely demand for seats. I know there little or no chance of increasing the capacity of the Amex.

Apologies, well you can count my wife and I in, if that helps.
I reckon 32, 000 - 35, 000 would be sufficient.
:thumbsup:

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
In February the club said the waiting list for season tickets was approaching 8000, so you could probably add a couple of thousand to that if we were less likely to be relegated at the end of the season.

However, as with most things, in my opinion the club got the actual size of the Amex spot on. It's big enough to create an intimidating atmosphere for away teams, but still compact enough to retain the charm and character you lose in massive stadiums.

Looking at the average attendances in the Premier League, we sit right about where you would expect for a club of our size.

Bigger doesn't mean better.

image.png

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
Hence my use of the word ‘hypothetical’ in the subject!!

Oh, like, you only wanted responses contingent on them being amenable to your underlying hypothesis. What’s the ****ing point of that?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
West Ham.
What was the capacity at Upton Park?
What was their average PL gate?
The question being, has increasing the capacity, albeit moving stadiums, increased the attendance?

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
West Ham.
What was the capacity at Upton Park?
What was their average PL gate?
The question being, has increasing the capacity, albeit moving stadiums, increased the attendance?

In 2015/16 Upton Park had approx 35k and in 2011/12 in the Championship it had approx 31k.

West Ham are also a perfect example of what you gain in attendance you lose in character and in their case atmosphere.

Last edited:

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
In 2015/16 Upton Park had approx 35k and in 2011/12 in the Championship it had approx 31k.

West Ham are also a perfect example of what you gain in attendance you lose in character and in their case atmosphere.

The character and atmosphere is true but the attendance is up 20K. I'm sure there's a point there but not sure what it is.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Brighton are at near capacity if we become established premier league probably 35000 if we want to be regular top 6 we need 40,000 to 50,000 then after this we we may need a new ground.
If we go down the ground is fine.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
No point putting any extra seats in as Southern would only be able to get fans to the ground after the game had finished

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here