Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Will Brexit Actually Happen

Will The UK Leave The EU or Remain in The EU

• Total voters

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Do you think the last entry in your poll is the right thing to suggest as a highly responsible peace loving Brexiteer?

It has so far got no votes and yet political violence and extremism loves a vacuum.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The EU stance has been pretty open all the way along. Citizens rights first, then of course they want a trade deal, and are happy to make a bespoke one for the UK. The UK wants to pick and choose and keep the bits that it likes - OK - but the bit that it really wants - financial passports, cannot be cherry picked because it will massively disadvantage the EU and it's citizens.

an interesting argument in favour of the EU, as it supposes there is are disadvantages from being in the EU. i see the point made, that the EU dont want UK to have the advantage of taking the benefits without the costs. which is a reasonable position, though it does not infer any disadvantage on EU citizens except they might also want the same arrangement. that is at the heart of the matter, the acceptance of UK leaving in a cordial manner risks an existential threat to the future of the european project. i dont think the European states would actually see it like that, some reforms maybe but not looking to leave, and i wonder how the EU behavior, first in Greece, with UK and also in Poland, is going to backfire in the long term.

a postive arrangment on financial passporting is something the europeans want too. access to the second largest market in the world lowers their cost of finance. moving bits of it to Frankfurt, another bit to Paris, maybe some to Tallinn, Dublin, Milan, etc will increase their costs, lead to higher prices to EU citizens in loans, mortgages, pensions, insurance etc. small % but non-negligible across the whole union.

luge

Dec 18, 2010
There's a lot that is wrong with this country and having lived for many years overseas there is actually a lot that is right with it.

Agree. Work abroad alot, especially in South America and Caribbean - we have it good over here.

My problem with the whole ref was the assumption that Britain is automatically going to achieve greatness again because we have been this great nation previously.

We built alot of our success based on Empire building, ransacking lands that were not ours. We also got people addicted to Opium and Tobacco and controlled their ports.

The legacy of commonwealth kept us afloat in the early to mid 20th century. We cannot do any of these things any more.

It os

luge

Dec 18, 2010
an interesting argument in favour of the EU, as it supposes there is are disadvantages from being in the EU..

I don't like watching Made in Chelsea with my wife on an evening but i don;t kick up a fuss about it as I get to watch football, which she doesn't like.

Britain will have a wish list of what it wants, some will be achievable, others - like financial passporting, will not be.

It would be fantastic if the EU looked at what has happened with this whole debacle and reformed to either work better, or be much better at promoting what it does do. Many of the arguments for leaving have been nullified since the referendum, as Britain had the flexibility to control things like immigration. And have blue passports. It just didn't do it.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Of course it will happen, the public voted it and if it doesn't we will see the people taking their borders back, as it's pretty obvious as to the strength of feeling about it. I may even build a wall.

That's weird I don't remember having a referendum about borders.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Something will happen, but will it be the Brexit that the " vote leavers" envisioned? Or a half cocked deal that benenefits some big businesses and leaves U K with less influence at the E U table?
I am cynical of politicians.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I'll take class clown over class bellend any day of the week. Thanks.
Has anyone ever told you you have such a punchable face, like a failed estate agent.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I agree, the dissent shown by people who voted leave will make the poll tax riots look like a teddy bears picnic.

Hurling Werthers Originals at the massed police lines.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Disagree. The right are far better than the left at getting shit done, there would be mass protests which would almost certainly end up in some sort of disorder.

I think we will leave but as softly as possable if however we were not to leave the loony right will not be able to mass protests by then most of the Brexitees will have died of old age

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Worth remembering on the "there'll be mass protests if Brexit is cancelled" that Nigel Farage tried to organise a "pro-Brexit march on the Supreme Court" in London when the Gina Miller case was being held.

He claimed 100,000 people would attend.
7 people turned up.
None of whom were Nigel Farage.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
I agree, the dissent shown by people who voted leave will make the poll tax riots look like a teddy bears picnic.

No matter how many times "leave means leave" is spouted it doesn't answer the essential question of what does "leave" actually mean?.

There's about a dozen variations on what leave could look like because it was never properly thought-through or defined up-front. Whatever the final deal looks like I'm sure Leavers will be too confused to riot because they never really grasped what they wanted in the first place and so they won't know if they got it or not.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Unfortunately the idiots, May, Davis, Johnson et al are blinded by the will of the people and either their own political ambitions or insecurities and we will leave, to be cast aside as a major international country, facing decades of struggling to recover our lost wealth, all for the mythical regain control and a blue passport.

But not to worry, those who supported Brexit will say that Mrs May got the best possible deal for the UK (easy as no one still knows what we want) and its all the fault of the EU for not giving the UK everything that we wanted so we could have our cake and eat it (with a cherry on top).

£25bn trade surplus with South Korea claims Johnson, actual surplus £0.8bn, the lies are still ongoing an will be for the forseeable future.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Is anyone convinced it won't happen? I haven't seen anyone post that for a long time. It's definitely not as certain as some would have hoped but nobody has claimed it won't happen for a while.
Fishing thread from NSC's most annoying troll.

He's very good at it, in fact he's an expert.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
This thread seems a lot more reflective of NSC opinion on Brexit, the main thread is regularly hjacked by a handful of stay of home Brextremist trolls

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
Worth remembering on the "there'll be mass protests if Brexit is cancelled" that Nigel Farage tried to organise a "pro-Brexit march on the Supreme Court" in London when the Gina Miller case was being held.

He claimed 100,000 people would attend.
7 people turned up.
None of whom were Nigel Farage.

There will be more anger than we have seen for a long time. I think a new right-wing party that Nigel would set up and control would be a real danger to Labour as UKIP are all but dead in the water now and Nigel knows that.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
There will be more anger than we have seen for a long time. I think a new right-wing party that Nigel would set up and control would be a real danger to Labour as UKIP are all but dead in the water now and Nigel knows that.

Correct. The main parties understand this which is why they are committed to enacting the democratic will of the majority as per every other election in the UK. It's only those who have no chance of power or who can't accept the result that think differently.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here